Painted core walkers, advice?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AaronAsh

AaronAsh

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

I have just started collecting and playing Dust, and this is also the first time I have done any serious miniature painting (I bounced off WH40k for a number of reasons when I tried to get into that a few years ago). So far I have painted all of the miniatures in the core set, with the exception of the heavy laser grenadiers, and it has been an interesting learning process (not to mention relaxing).

I may post some pictures of the figures later, but for now here are the nearly done walkers. I wanted to paint both of them in a scheme I haven't seen anyone else do; the Han's scheme is inspired by "dazzle" disruption patterns, I used masking tape to keep sharp edges on the blue splinters (unfortunately this left them with raised edges); the Blackhawk's is inspired by the late-war British "Mickey Mouse" camo, I used to a circular piece of foam as a stamp to apply the brown areas - this got me the circular shapes I wanted but left quite an uneven surface on the paint.

Next up I need to weather them (relatively lightly), for which I am planning to use a sponge to apply black/metal paint chip marks, an orangey brown ink to apply rust to nooks and crannies, and then a final dry brush of a lighter beige colour for a coating of dust on the lower parts - does anyone have any advice on other cool weathering methods to try? Bases will just be washed then dry brushed metal (I liked this style on Loophole Masters' models).

The main things I had trouble with on these was keeping the paint coats smooth when applying them by brush, and also getting the ink washes to behave properly when applied to large flat areas; I had to clean up several areas where the wash had pooled and dired before I had the chance to wipe up the excess with a brush. Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

Raised edges from masking can be taken care of with 600 - 1000 grit sand paper. Be gentle and take your time, you can knock the edges off pretty easily and not mar the surface or other paint. 

Thinning your paint and applying it in several light coats can help. 

#3 LedZep

LedZep

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

I just logged in to say how awesome your axis light walker looks. (I dont really like the dots on the allied…) But the paint looks so plain and perfect..so clean… Props to you!

#4 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

They look great !!!! now just dirty them up with some powders or paints and washes.

#5 iron_weasel

iron_weasel

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:57 AM

Your off to a great start. I think the first piece of advice I can give is that you should pick up a spray gun (aka single action, external mix, siphon feed airbrush). These are basically, very simple airbrushes. They are no good for detail work, but they are grate for laying down flat coats, are hard to mess up, and a cheap. If your already masking then your basically half way there, might as well just save your self some time and pain and just spray.

#6 Londoncopper

Londoncopper

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

MiG weathering pigments would help give them a dirty, weathered look, just apply a liquid fixer, add the various coloured powders and then use an old stiff brush to remove excess powder, the harder you brush, the more you take off. They are great for mud, dirt and soot effects.

I do like what you have done with your walkers though, a little wethering and they will be perfect!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS