Uk Tournament

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 KafkaTamura

KafkaTamura

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

Whilst our brethren across the pond are going to be enjoying a Netrunner tournament at Gen Con, I thought about organizing one here in the UK. I'm tied to a gaming club in St. Albans (which is very close to London, and has a direct train route), and I am wondering if there would be any takers for a tournament that's organized right after the release? I have sufficient TO experience, and we already have some people in our local community interested in playing. As long as we get at least 8 players, it should be fine.

The only problem I forsee is that Esdevium (UK Gaming wholesalers and sole FFG distributors) are saying that Netrunner is only coming out in November? If so, then this is news to me as I was expecting a release date close to Gen Con. According to Amazon, it's released on the 22nd of August.

#2 NuFenix

NuFenix

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:49 AM

If that is the date that Esdevium have been given, that chances are that will be the date it comes out, which is worrying due to how far away that is!

On the plus side, it would only cost about £30 depending on the train to get there from Coventry, so I would be up for taking part, so long as I am free that weekend :)

#3 KafkaTamura

KafkaTamura

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:11 AM

Well, we can try and plan around everyone, depending on how many takers there are.

#4 ChaosChild

ChaosChild

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:36 AM

I'm up for this, I'm only an hour or so away by car.

#5 ffaristocrat

ffaristocrat

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

Amazon's release date is… highly optimistic.

FFG still has the game on a boat. The copies at GenCon will have been a small shipment flown by air.

I wouldn't expect to see it in US stores until October at the earliest so probably a bit after that for UK stores to get it.

#6 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

ffaristocrat said:

Amazon's release date is… highly optimistic.

Amazon has a long history for unrealistic release dates (at least regarding games). Basically, they're either utterly clueless or simply hope to get as many pre-orders as possible by deliberately giving wrong dates.

#7 Treguard

Treguard

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

I'm friends with Paul Grogan, UK Tournament Co-Ordinator for Netrunner (apparently a pretty big wheel on the scene, back in the day). I'll bug him about the future of competitive Netrunner, and see if he'll be donning the mantle again, if he's not already posting about this on BGG.

#8 KafkaTamura

KafkaTamura

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:56 AM

Do bug him and let me know what he says! Hopefully we can get competitive play off the ground in UK.

#9 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:16 AM

I would be interested in playing a launch tournament and regular tournaments in or around London.

#10 Paul Grogan

Paul Grogan

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:19 AM

Treguard said:

I'm friends with Paul Grogan, UK Tournament Co-Ordinator for Netrunner (apparently a pretty big wheel on the scene, back in the day). I'll bug him about the future of competitive Netrunner, and see if he'll be donning the mantle again, if he's not already posting about this on BGG.

That would be me then….. Back in the day?  I'm still as involved now as I was then, possibly even more so :)

I think I still am probably the official UK Tournament Co-Ordinator.  Admitted, I haven't run a tournament for a few years now, but I never handed the mantle onto anyone else….

I had considered contacting FFG, but with the fact that I have almost a second full-time job already with all of the game related 'work' that I do (*cough* Mage Knight*)

I will however be running at least one Netrunner tournament at my twice-yearly mini-convention in November.  Private Invitations only, sorry.

#11 Mark Applin

Mark Applin

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:58 AM

I live in Watford and I'm an old-time NR player, I used to be a regular at Paul's tournaments back in the old days.  I'd definitely be up for this and so I'm sure would at least three of my friends…   I'll pass the word around!

#12 KafkaTamura

KafkaTamura

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:44 AM

I don't think a private invitation only tournament is quite what I was aiming for, as that would exclude a lot of people. Glad to see that the interest is there. I will keep this thread updated as soon as Esdevium gives us a heads up as to when Netrunner is arriving.

#13 Paul Grogan

Paul Grogan

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

Yeah, sorry about that :(

Runemeet is basically a 25-30 people mini-convention that I hold twice a year at my house, inviting all my gaming buddies, both new and old.  A number of those gaming buddies I have known for a long time now, and a few of them I actually met through Netrunner!  So, it is really nice 10 years later to get a number of the old crowd back together :)

Luckily, they all live in and around Luton / Watford / Hemel / etc, so St. Albans is a great place for them to go to.  I'm a little jealous, but I will try and drum up support at my own FLGS.

I've pre-ordered the game, but could not wait, so have made up my own set with home made proxy cards for now.  Played 5 games on Friday night, very much enjoyed it :)

#14 KafkaTamura

KafkaTamura

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

It's more than understandable really, and actually, I'm even a bit envious. I wish I had a house that could hold a 25 person mini con :D. So nice to hear that there are so many players in the area. It sounds like you've already deduced that you won't find the time to make it to the tournament, but any advice/support would be greatly appreciated!

#15 Metropolis Games

Metropolis Games

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

I'm only in the London area once or twice a year, but will come along if I'm about. You'll all be invited to the Glasgow tournaments once we get going!

#16 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

I'm pretty sure I can get myself and maybe 2/3 other players interested. I'm from Portsmouth so it's not that far to come by car/train actually. Keep us informed!

#17 KafkaTamura

KafkaTamura

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

Will do. Still waiting for a release date. As soon as I have it, I'll update this thread with all the relevant information and create an event on the FFG event site.

#18 Paul Grogan

Paul Grogan

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:06 AM

And an update from me.  I've been in contact with FFG and told him what I 'used to do' for Netrunner in the UK.

There may be a chance that I might end up getting involved again….

#19 Treguard

Treguard

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

London lad here, sign me up!

#20 mortimerPL

mortimerPL

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hi,

I temporary live in St albans (until 06/2013) and I want to play few times a week. Probably i will buy 3x core set, to be more competitive ;).

Pls, contact me tomek.kotecki at gmail.com so we can exchange contact info. 

Tomek

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS