Anyone else sickened by the price that people are charging for the original core set?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

I have seen the original core set go for more and more recently and today saw a premium set for sale for $500US… and this is from a site that is well known as having the best prices on Dust products… who in the hell is paying these prices? Seriously???? People will complain about the cost of a campaign box and the perceived lack of value for the $40-$45 pricetag but then people are actually buying these core sets…. Really? $500 just to have Bazooka Joe and Sigrid, two heroes that wouldn't even make the cut in 75 per cent of my lists?

I'm speechless… SSU models are already more expensive than Allied or Axis models and I truly hope that there is not a trend of Dust becoming more and more expensive because price point was one of the biggest selling points for getting people into this game…

#2 icevvind

icevvind

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

I bought mine in france. At its normal price. And since the only thing i wanted where the minis i didnt care about the rulebook language

#3 Maine

Maine

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

You can get all of the models available in the box, except the heroes, for $130 at discount.  Granted if you want premium, that's another story…

The Original Core Set is an out of print and highly in demand item (among people who seem to value it above buying the items separately).  Prices are going to be what the market will bear, regardless of what you perceive as unfair or unjust.

#4 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

Maine said:

You can get all of the models available in the box, except the heroes, for $130 at discount.  Granted if you want premium, that's another story…

The Original Core Set is an out of print and highly in demand item (among people who seem to value it above buying the items separately).  Prices are going to be what the market will bear, regardless of what you perceive as unfair or unjust.

Oh, I completely understand that it is priced ike that because it is the price people will pay… I am just shocked that people will pay it… and sickened at what it could mean for this game…. I don't want this game to turn into the 40k price gouge game…. but hey, if people are going to pay this much for it, then I'm glad I have a large collection already. If any time something sells out or a box that has two measely heroes in it that can't be bought elsewhere sell for GW "Space Hulk" hysterical prices, it makes me sad…. I thought I escaped the GW price inflation, Space Hulk hysteria mentality…. But hey, if people think $500 for Sigrid and Joe and models that you can buy of the shelf for a fraction of the price is reasonable, then good for them… I guess… I still think its ridiculous… I never said anything about being unfair or unjust as I don't want that set at all anyway… I thought it was ridiculous… there is a difference.

#5 Seblys

Seblys

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

I've seen a couple of websites where you can get the unpainted versions of the models for absolutely dirt cheap prices. Like $12 a squad.

If I could paint I would definitely buy them :) Unfortunately it's premium for me. I don't know suppose anyone knows a site that sells the premium with any kind of discount? 

The only sites I've seen with premium are FFG and the DUST site.

#6 Seblys

Seblys

• Members
  • 46 posts

I've seen a couple of websites where you can get the unpainted versions of the models for absolutely dirt cheap prices. Like $12 a squad.

If I could paint I would definitely buy them :) Unfortunately it's premium for me. I don't know suppose anyone knows a site that sells the premium with any kind of discount? 

#7 Seblys

Seblys

• Members
  • 46 posts

#8 Seblys

Seblys

• Members
  • 46 posts

#9 Seblys

Seblys

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

#10 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:06 AM

You can buy it right now for $200 more than what the premium originally cost… $500.

Or you can just wait for dust-models.com to release the Joe vs Sigrid and Joe vs Sigrid alternate pose (which look better than the original sculpts)premium editions for 40 bucks. Then just buy the other models elsewhere as they are all readily available… of course witrh the new walker releases, I'm not sure why someone would want to lock themselves into the single vehicle trim as premium sets will not give you the extra parts to make all the trims for the medium walkers like buying them seperately and having them painted up by a member of the community who charges a good price for a good paintjob (there are a couple that come to mind that offer such a service). Otherwise you are stuck with a hotdog and a pounder and you will not be able to use either one as a Mickey or a steel Rain… with a normal box purchase, switching between the different walker trims is a 5 second turret swap and you won't get those spares in the premium box. Also for the price of the hotdog in points you can get a rattler or for 5 points more the Cobra. So I might consider buying a normal medium walker box and the new cobra/rattler box and have them painted for you and then you will be able to use any two medium walkers at a time as they share the same chassis and its just a matter of swapping between your turrets. Then, instead of having a hotdog and a Pounder, you will have a Hotdog, a Pounder, a Mickey, a Steel Rain, a Cobra, and a Rattler for pretty much the same price. For the soldier models you can just buy the premium boxes. Then again, I don't want laser grenadiers anyways and they come in the core set but many people love the look of them so that is all preference anyway…

… My point is, there are other options than to just hand over $500 for some models and two walkers per faction that can't be used as other walkers, which if purchased seperately you can, and part of what makes the walker boxes such a fantastic deal in the first place. But, if you want them right now, you can get the box for $500. Not exactly a discount.

#11 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:51 AM

Actually, iirc, when I priced the individual Premium units from the Core Set when it initially released, it came to $480 not counting Joe & Sigrid. Which, considering the Joe vs Sigrid box is $40, makes $500 for the core set still a bargain. Just nowhere near the bargain it was initially at MSRP of $300. Especially considering the terrain pieces (ammo crates & Tank Traps) didn't start getting the premium painted treatment until the Revised core set. 

If I knew for a fact it was an original unopened new Premium Ore set, and not one somebody put together without Joe & Sigrid, or painted themselves (I've seen both happen and be sold as though it were new), I'd say if you've got the $500 and want the Premium set, buy it.  But I'd definitely add the caveat, buyer beware. There's a lot of shady dealers out there selling Premium models that really aren't. Including at least one large online retailer which may or may not have known the set they sold was sans Joe & Sigrid. Hard to say, but I find it extremely odd that the only two pieces missing were the only two you opulent buy separately. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS