Pegasus: Cylon Fleet Overlay

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

Odd question…  When Pegasus came out, you get a little board to set on top of the Cylon fleet, slightly altering the spaces. 

Is that board for Pegasus only, or is it basically "errata" used in all games.

If you play "just the base" game, should you still use the overlay?

Do later printings have the overlay-version text and markings? 

I am teaching what will likely be a a "just base" game, I was wondering how much of a difference it would make?

This probably goes hand in hand with 'in the base game does the cylon hand off the excess loyalty cards immediately like in expansions".

If you have a newer edition, if resurrection space is Hazardous (no entry) area then likely it was updated…?

Thoughts everyone?

#2 Holy Outlaw

Holy Outlaw

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

Boy that's a good question. Because my group considers the overlay an overall improvement to game balance and cylon flexibility, we play with it at all times. (Similarly and more emphatically, I would advise playing Investigative Committee under its revised wording, whichever version you have.) That being said, I really haven't heard this question asked before and I could see it being a tough sell to say, "Hey guys, I know the words on the board and cards say one thing, but these actually do another." Ultimately, I think you probably just let the group know wordings have been changed for the sake of balance and that most players consider the new versions improvements, then go with majority rules.

#3 psiho333

psiho333

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:07 AM

You hit a spot with this question, I've been wondering the same myself :)

In my opinion, the investigative commitee is much better off as stated in Pegasus.

As for the Cylon overlay I have mixed feelings. And I'll explan in short with a list of pros & cons to replace it.

Pro:
- In the base game almost noone activates the resurrection ship (all consider it a waste of time). Thus once somebody does, it's a good chance he had a second "you are a Cylon" card. Furthermore, if that was the case, then he has to lose 2 whole turns to do it ! First reveal, and second give to a player. And in the meantime a lot of time has passed with only 1 effective saboteur.

Con:
- The Super Cryses of the base game are few and powerful. Being able to take more than 1 seems like too much.

- The prepare for jump symbol is not skipped. In the base game, activating the Caprica location is the best bet for Cylons to win (IMO). With the prepare for jump step not skipped this seems to hinder them not indifferently.

Anyway, this is just me provoking a discussion. I always play with the overlay, even with my doubts.

There is one additional aspect that I would perhaps include in all the games: the loyalty deck as of Exodus, with the added house rule (read it on some forum), that if the last card remains a Cylon, all resources are lowered by 1 at the end of the game (perhaps excluding fuel). This adds the added tension of not being 100% sure how many Cylons are there.

#4 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hmm… Investigative Committee also…  yes.  

I am going to be teaching some new players - and in at least one case base game only (it's all the own).   I think the overlay and IC changes are better, and it certainly makes it easier when you add expansions (Come to think of it, I recently have been playing Base+Exodus Cylon fleet… technically, probably SHOULDNT use overlay with that!)

Again, wondering if later printings had updates…  I will see if I can get a look at one this weekend. 

At the moment I am going to go with "Technically incorrect, but a good idea"… haha.   Also, me wanting to go easy on myself without a flip flop or rules each version of play. 

I tell board gamers who want to learn  it's no more complex than Puerto Rico*, but that is really just a big lie, isn't it?

Thanks all.

*Puerto Rico:  Lots of possible things to do and buy, only a few REAL choices on your actual turn.  Course, never had someone infiltrate my colonists and plant a G4 explosive on my tobacco ship.  Ohh… time for an unofficial expansion! 

#5 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Found this on accident today in the BGG FAQ:

Q: Are the "Investigative Committee" cards included with Pegasus intended to replace the cards in the base game if you're not playing with the Pegasus expansion? (numerous threads)
A: (Corey, FFG, by way of coltsfan76) Officially, they are not intended for use in the base game, but you may play however you wish.

Extending from that, technically the overlay is not allowed in base only - or any other "single" expansion component.  There is even a difference in execution sequence and ending?  Never noticed that one. 

The note also says you don't HAVE to, and the poster from that question mentioned they don't take the cards out… so…  there you go.

#6 dwightsboardgame

dwightsboardgame

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Holy Outlaw said:

Boy that's a good question. Because my group considers the overlay an overall improvement to game balance and cylon flexibility, we play with it at all times. (Similarly and more emphatically, I would advise playing Investigative Committee under its revised wording, whichever version you have.) That being said, I really haven't heard this question asked before and I could see it being a tough sell to say, "Hey guys, I know the words on the board and cards say one thing, but these actually do another." Ultimately, I think you probably just let the group know wordings have been changed for the sake of balance and that most players consider the new versions improvements, then go with majority rules.

I agree wholeheartedly. There is another game that I only have the base for, but I use one of the expansion changes when playing because it makes the game better. So far I've never had an issue from telling people that the card is wrong and we're going to play it differently.

#7 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

Recently played a series of games, starting with the BASE game…  when we moved to Pegasus, I left in the Original IC cards in, and realized it removed the incentive to you use the purple "reckless" card to keep out destiny!   It seemed OK to leave the new version in the old set, just  a little more pressure on the humans (and a lot less work on sorting out cards haha)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS