Play mats?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ImhotepMagi

ImhotepMagi

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

Seeing the rulebook has gotten me truly jazzed about this game!  Since all of the standard rules use a 3'x3' field of play, does anyone think it might be in FFG's best interest to produce a play mat? 

I'm not talking some cheap paper map or anything. I would like to see something either felt-like or some sort of non-crease fabric like Games Workshop used in their  Dread Fleet game. I'd be willing to shell out some bucks for a truly well done 3'x3' star field mat, possibly with some great Star Wars styling around the edges. 

How about you? Would you like to see a play mat?

#2 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

I would indeed.

If Fantasy Flight does not come through on a "sanctioned" play mat, and you want something a bit more than a store-bought felt, you might try this website (I found this site posted here on the FFG X-Wing forums a couple o' weeks ago)

• Cazador1908 likes this

#3 ImhotepMagi

ImhotepMagi

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

I would want something without hexes and exactly 3'x3'. Otherwise the Hotz mats are top notch.

#4 Nalydd

Nalydd

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

As I'm based in UK and on a pretty tight budget I'll be heading down the local fabric store and getting all touchy-feely with various materials and choosing the right size before speckling with some paint.  Don't get me wrong the mats on that site look nice and all but their standard sizes mean you'll need to 'over buy' for what you need for this game, plus their idea of space looks a little too colourful for my liking.

#5 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

You can order "blank" mats.  Sorry for not posting that in the earlier posting.
I might check 'em out after Gen Con.

#6 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

Countdown to I. J. Thompson replying with a resounding "YES! I WANT A PLAT MAT!"

In 10….9….8….7….

#7 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

ERMAHGERD! SERMBERDY SER PLERMERT?!? 

The difference here, is… I wanted a free paper one in the box. 

#8 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Paper!  Even if you laminate the (paper) mat, there will be "slippage".  I'd rather spend a few bucks, and take the slippage of the pieces out of the equation.  That's just my take.

#9 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

ive got another peice of mdf with 3x3 written all over, might glue some spacey fabric to the top rather than paint it.

#10 Nalydd

Nalydd

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:52 AM

Was thinking of adding a few specks of glitter type stuff on the mat to reflect the light.  Also not making the stars look like big white blobs might help that deep space look.  Also thinking of painting the pegs on the stands black to try and make them less obvious against the backdrop.

#11 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

I picked up a piece of 3x3 black felt from the local AC Moore (craft store).  I think it was less than $6.  I'm going to head out this weekend to the fabric store to see if I can find anything "spacey".

#12 Howlix

Howlix

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

What about this: http://www.mondaykni...Index-Mats.html

#13 ImhotepMagi

ImhotepMagi

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

All great ideas. I think I'd still like to see something X-Wing branded though, just to satisfy the collector in me. Failing that, I will probably pick up a Monday Knight mat in the future to tide me over.

#14 wormiespice

wormiespice

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

3x3 . i take it that it means 3 foot by 3 foot and not inches 

#15 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

Right, that was supposed to be feet.  Anyone know what the MondayKnight mats are made out of? 

#16 ImhotepMagi

ImhotepMagi

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

tiepilot1138 said:

Right, that was supposed to be feet.  Anyone know what the MondayKnight mats are made out of? 

Felt, if the space ones are anything like the green one I have. They last, since mine is about 8 years old. 

#17 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

Buying a piece of felt shouldn't cost too much.  And if there was a fold up sheet in the set, it would probably folded paper, probably even more than one sheet.  It wouldn't led itself to a very good play surface.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#18 wormiespice

wormiespice

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:46 AM

have just sent an email to hotz artworks asking about the cost to make a playmat for the game and i am awaiting a response

#19 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

wormiespice said:

have just sent an email to hotz artworks asking about the cost to make a playmat for the game and i am awaiting a response

They don't tend to rush things, so don't expect an answer too soon

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

#20 wormiespice

wormiespice

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:48 PM

i got an answer from hotz artworks 

1 deep space playmat    36x36 inches   = USD 17.00

postage ( to uk ) ( not sure of cost to usa )  = USD 12.00

total                                    USD 29.00

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS