Dust Warfare newbie

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kryptotim

Kryptotim

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

I just recently purchased the Dust Warfare rules and I am looking forward to playing the Allies . So my question is where should I start ? I am salivating over the Med Allied Walker , but what would be a good follow up purchase ?

#2 Zinger5656

Zinger5656

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

A good place to start would be to get the core or revised core set

#3 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Do you have any units at all, or just the rule book?

Are you only wanting Allied units?

I'd suggest going through the platoon lists, and starting by picking out what you think would be an interesting army to play with, and getting those units.

If you're wanting to get more than just Allied units, get the core set to get yourself going, and then probably add on a medium walker and a command squad and a spec ops box.  Heck, even if you do just want to go Allied, that's a pretty good start.

#4 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

There are soo many great units… it really depends on what you like. The BBQ squad are great, but so are the Gunners, and the Death Dealers… oh, and the Boss command squad… and I like the Hell Boys too… the Corps Officers are sweet…. And the Red Devils are freakin' awesome…. and I like the Mickey, Pounder and even the Steel Rain… and the new Cobra and Rattler medium Walkers… and all the light walkers…. and the Fireball is my favorite…. Ohh, and the Tankbusters… and the Hammers….oh, and the Grim Reapers… and the recon boys are a cheap unit that you want for squeezing some extra anti-infantry into your list when short on points…. and the snipers…. and…. and…

…Seeing a pattern… they are all awesome… so it depends on the type of style you are looking to play. You like the medium walkers, and why wouldn't you, they are awesome… but a Mickey and a Steel Rain are designed for two different things. With the release of the new Cobra walker, you could even run a Phaser heavy list using Jackson, Red Devils, Honey and Cobra walkers along with a few other units here and there to fill the holes that they don't fill. You can't have all 6" range flamethrowing troops and napalm throwing walkers after all without having some longer range stuff to support them.

Tell us what you like the look of the most and I will give you some suggestions for what other units have good synergy with them…. Cuz I think they are all awesome in different ways.

Welcome to Dust Warfare!

#5 deedob

deedob

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:56 AM

Look at the army lists in the book, build yourself a platoon. Buy the units required to have what you want.

It's really as simple as that.

#6 Drag0n

Drag0n

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

Im think for a start next unit will be useful:

- The Boss orand Corps Officers - command section is needed as mandatory for platoon. Its more easy to buy then hero instead

- MidWalker as a good armour choice 

- Heavy jump troops is a main force of Allies, so Grim Rippers and Red Devils will be useful

- Ordinary troops: Gunners, Death Dealers and Hell Boys (last ones can be command section as well)

- SpecOps because sniper and observer because Long Tom spec.order

#7 Farvo702

Farvo702

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

Here is a competitive 300 point list that you can build from while you figure out what you like. Total cost: 200$

1x Boss

1x Grim Reaper

1x Tank Buster

1x Red Devil

1x allied heros pack

1x new medium walker(rattler)

1x Heavy walker(fireball)

1x spec ops(snipers

Just put into a platoon list. choose airdrop for the heavy, put the tank busters or reapers inside, and you're golden. This also gives you a lot of options to expand. If you want to replace the rattler with a pounder instead you don't have to buy the snipers. So it will save you 20$.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS