Preview: Elite Pilots and Advanced Tactics

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vadersson

vadersson

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

Wow, nice preview today.  I did not expect to get two in a row.  

Showed off both unique pilots, and Darth Vader is a monster.  Also showed all 5 upgrade cards.  Really like the missiles.

As predicted the numbers in this set were 18 and 19.

Thanks,

Duncan

Gold 109 (ret.)

Wesa need Gungans!

#2 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

i think i have an idea what they are. the pilot cards or pilots may be numbered somehow, and these might be random pilot picking tokens like the tokens in space hulk death angel. although not likely its also not an impossible use.

#3 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Well, the strange thing is that there are 3 tokens each with the same number on them.

X-Wing has: 10 (x3) & 11 (x3)

Tie/In has: 12 (x3), 13 (x3), 14 (x3), 15 (x3)

Y-Wing has: 16 (x3), 17 (x3)

Tie/Adv has: 18 (x3), 19 (x3)

Your suggestion is interesting, but I don't see why they would need three copies of each number. 

It seems like they might be used to keep track of something … and there are three places to do so. Seems a bit redundant, but possible.

Perhaps they are used to keep track of ships in a 'squadron', and are assuming 3 ships per squadron?

They also might be some sort of objective markers for scenarios.

#4 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

What?! I thought they said that Expert Handling was only in the X-Wing pack. I must have misread that. Oh well. That's a good thing to be wrong about. It means I'll end up with two copies from the get-go.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#5 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

Budgernaut said:

What?! I thought they said that Expert Handling was only in the X-Wing pack. I must have misread that. Oh well. That's a good thing to be wrong about. It means I'll end up with two copies from the get-go.

You didn't miss read that at all.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#6 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

I was surprised to see that TIE Advanced pilots include a pilot with a skill rank of 2.  I always thought that the TIE Advanced was reserved for Aces.

I also noticed that they were very careful to cover up the point cost of Darth Vader.  It is like they are trying to force those of us who are going to be in the tournament to have build out squadrons with as little pre-understanging as possible.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#7 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

Vader's cost is 29.  If you click on his name you get the complete stat card.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook.com/groups/swgon/ Star Wars Gaming Ontario formerly known as Star Wars Miniatures Toronto

#8 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

I didn't think that TIE Advanced would cost more than Y-Wings. Makes sense though, since they're rather advanced and expensive prototype-only kind of ships…

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

#9 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:08 AM

TIE Advanced fighters are really on par with X-wings and should cost about as much. It's about what I expected.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#10 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

dvang said:

Well, the strange thing is that there are 3 tokens each with the same number on them.

X-Wing has: 10 (x3) & 11 (x3)

Tie/In has: 12 (x3), 13 (x3), 14 (x3), 15 (x3)

Y-Wing has: 16 (x3), 17 (x3)

Tie/Adv has: 18 (x3), 19 (x3)

Your suggestion is interesting, but I don't see why they would need three copies of each number. 

It seems like they might be used to keep track of something … and there are three places to do so. Seems a bit redundant, but possible.

Perhaps they are used to keep track of ships in a 'squadron', and are assuming 3 ships per squadron?

They also might be some sort of objective markers for scenarios.

With the rules up, the number tokens are explained. They are used to identify/match ships with the same pilot. Whether using the generic pilots, or a mirror-match between two forces using the same side.  I hadn't previously noticed that there are two slots on the ship stand, which are used to hold (front and back) two of the tokens, while the third is placed on the card itself.

#11 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

After reading the rules and understaning what all those icons mean, and what actions are, I have to say that Darth Vader is just about the coolest thing ever.  Which is really cool, becasue I have wanted him to be the center of my fleet ever since I started thinking about what I wanted to field.  

Of course that doesn't meant that I won't buy al the fighters (probably 2 vcoppies of everything) but I will probab ly buy extra TIE Advanced.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS