Photo

White Out… limited card or potentially powerful…?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 demonted

demonted

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:11 AM

Hey guys,

Thank you all for your responses on my last inquiry regarding Alyssa Graham. It appears to have spurred on a lengthy examination. Glad we got an official ruling in the FAQ.

I have been looking over Hastur's WHITE OUT card as a potential inclusion in a deck. I'm not sure how to apply some of its effects though. Any further explanation or guidance would be greatly appreciated…

So clearly, this card can be used to ambush an ancient one during the story phase, which is quite nice, as so many effects are usually limited to non-ancient one characters. So… as it reads, until the end of the story phase,  that character/ancient one does not "count" its icons or skill. What exactly does that mean, not to "count" its icons or skill. In my mind, I feel like it means that for the purposes of resolving story struggles, that the character does not add any of its icons or skill to the struggle.

However… what about at that point (say during the terror struggle) that you are trying to resolve a struggle outcome . Lets say you WHITE OUT your opponent's Cthulhu allowing you to win the terror struggle. When forcing your opponent to drive one of his character's insane, does WHITE OUT now temporarily remove Cthulu's insanity protection since his terror icons do not "count" for the remainder of the story phase? Likewise, one can ask a similar question about Cthulhu's skill. Does it not "counting" equate to the character's skill being reduced to zero? Thus making it vulnerable to removal cards that target low skill (like Ice Shaft). From a thematic sense… "whiting out" a character would seem to leave them temporarily vulnurable to any horrible additional effects that happen on them. For instance… imagine Chtulhu stumbling around in the tundra during a blizzard, blind and barely coherent and accidentally stumbling down an ice shaft to be banished for eons. Ok… thematic thinking aside… how does this card work within the game mechanics.

I'd love to hear your guy's thoughts on this.

Thanks!!

#2 HilariousPete

HilariousPete

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:32 AM

demonted said:

So clearly, this card can be used to ambush an ancient one during the story phase, which is quite nice, as so many effects are usually limited to non-ancient one characters. So… as it reads, until the end of the story phase,  that character/ancient one does not "count" its icons or skill. What exactly does that mean, not to "count" its icons or skill. In my mind, I feel like it means that for the purposes of resolving story struggles, that the character does not add any of its icons or skill to the struggle.

Yes

demonted said:

When forcing your opponent to drive one of his character's insane, does WHITE OUT now temporarily remove Cthulu's insanity protection since his terror icons do not "count" for the remainder of the story phase?

No. To not count skill or icons means that they are ignored when you determine the winner of a struggle / determine who succeeds at a story. With White Out, the target still retains his skill and icons. (See FAQ rule 2.35)

For example cards like Scotophobia and Binding are cards that (temporarily) remove icons and may result in Ancient Ones being driven insane :-)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS