Just got the game… have some questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sammann11

sammann11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

I just picked up W:I today and was "playing" against myself to try and get a feel for it before tomorrow night's gaming session with my buddy. I still don't quite get it all, but I suppose we'll figure it out as we go. Is there a good turn by turn tutorial out there on you tube or somewhere. I watched all 5 of FFG's videos and that helped, but I'd still like to see, or watch, it being played.

I have some questions:

The Rules book says there are 24 Netural cards (numbers 111 - 119). I only have 21, plus 3 neutral quest cards ( one #120 and two #121's). Are those the other 3?

How are alliance cards dealt? I assume they are only put in your deck if you are playing a deck of mixed races. 

I don't have to draft, correct? That just seems like am extra step that I can add later on when I get the basics down a little better.

How do you put resource tokens on a quest card? Some of the quests said they could only "act" if X amount of resource tokens are on that card.

Can you ever play, or turn over development cards? If so, when and how?

When are tactic cards played? It seems like many of them take effect right when they are played, but I'm not sure when during the turn I play them. What if they cost zero resource tokens?

Thanks for any feedback. Maybe tomorrow night when 2 sets of eyes are going over the rules things will be a little more clear.

"Not all heros dwell in the light. Some limp in shadow." - Paul S. Kemp

#2 Mallumo

Mallumo

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

Welcome to the game and the forums. :)

The quests are included in the neutral card count, yes.

For at least your first couple of games, go by the rules suggested in the rule book. You get the 40 cards of the faction, plus ten neutral ones randomly selected from the 24 non-alliance neutral cards. Not that anything bad would happen if you simply added the alliance cards to the other neutrals. There indeed isn't much point to them in single-faction decks though.

Draft is just an extra option, correct. Ignore it until you are more familiar with the cards.

When a card tells you to put a resource token on it, like some quests do at a certain time when a unit is questing on them, you take a token from the general supply (not your personal pool) and place it on the card.

There are cards that let you flip developments or return them to your hand, but the only one in the core set that interacts with them in such a way is the Orc tactic Rip Dere 'Eads Off!. Normally, once you have played a card as a development, there is no way to get it back or use it as its printed card type.

All tactics read "Action: …" and can therefore be used at any time you can take an action. You can only play units, supports and quests during your own capital phase, but tactics can be played during other phases (like your battlefield phase) too and even during your opponent's turn, provided you have legal targets for them and can pay the cost. Some tactics have a limitation printed on them though, such as "Play during your turn", which you have to adhere to. Note that it's not just tactics. Even if it's a type of card you can only play from your hand during your capital phase, once it is in play, its "Action: …" can in general be used at other times too. Again, there might be limitations included in the card text though.

#3 sammann11

sammann11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

Mallumo,

Thanks for the feedback. Let me make sure I have this right:

Any tactic card in your hand can be played from your hand at any point where the rules declare "actions may be taken by either player", provided you can afford to pay for the card, correct? Likewise, even if it's one of the three other card types, it can be used at any of those same times provided you have already played it from your hand? If so, that clears things up big time.

Two more questions:

If a forced effect is preceded by a word in italics (example: Dwarf card no. 10, Ranger reads: Quest. Forced: when one player…) then that effect is only forced if the card is being played in that zone (I.e. - Ranger's effect is only forced if he's played in Quest zone - or is it if he's on a quest?). There are other exapmles too, units and suppport cards with kingdom and battlefield zones printed in italics before the "action" or "forced" in bold. I assume the rules are the same for those as well.

If a unit loses one Hit point because of an effect, and he only had 1 to start, then he is destoryed and discarded, correct?

Thanks again for the feedback, I've been looking over some of the topics and threads here over the last few weeks and I see that you're all over the forums helping guys out. It's good to have people like you to help us new-comers ;)

#4 Mallumo

Mallumo

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

1) Yes. Unit, support and quest cards can only be played from your hand during your own capital phase. Actions can be taken during any action window (See the timing structure in the FAQ, action windows are those "actions may be taken by either player" periods in the core rules. The capital phase is one big action window, but there are more during the other phases.), whether it's your turn or your opponent's, as long as you have legal targets and can pay for it. This includes all "Action: …" on unit, support and quest cards in play, as well as all tactics (which all say "Action: …"). If where is a limit on when the action can be taken, it says so on the card. Tactics are played and then discarded, so the action of any individual tactics card can only be used once, but the actions on cards in play can be used as often as you can pay for them and still have legal targets (unless there's a trigger condition like "Action: At the beginning of your turn …" or "Action: When this unit attacks …", actions can only be triggered once per trigger condition met).

So you can play a unit from your hand during your own capital phase, and immediately use its "Action: …", for example.

Technically, playing a unit, support or quest card is an action too, just one with the limitations that you can only do it during your capital phase, and that you can't do it in response to another action.

2) When a card says "Kingdom only", you can only play it from your hand, or put it into play, in that zone. When a card effect is preceded by Kingdom, you can play the card in any zone, but that effect will only work if the card is in the kingdom. If the card is in another zone, you can completely ignore the effect. So you can play the Dwarf Ranger into any zone, and he will have his power, hit points, and Scout keyword everywhere, but his Forced effect will only be active while he is in the quest zone. He doesn't need to be on a quest though.

3) A unit is destroyed if it has at least as many damage markers on it as it has hit points. If it has 1 HP and loses 1 HP, that condition is fulfilled and it is destroyed, yes.

#5 sammann11

sammann11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I played with a buddy of mine toight and it went really great! We both really dug the game. A couple more questions. Certain cards read that the card gains "2 hammers" while defending. What good are hammers while defending?

Also, the warpstone card seems kind of worthless. I don't see why you'd want a unit corrupted the moment it's put into play. I suppose if it the card granted you additional "hammers" in the quest or kingdom zone you may not want it to be able to take damage so you could keep it's effect going, but in 5 games this hypothetical never came up. It seems like its basically a card only worth developing.

Also, it seems risky to mix races in a deck. What if the race alliance card lands near the bottom of your deck after a shuffle? If that happened and you say, had an orc capital, you could never play your chaos cards without spending more resources.

#6 sammann11

sammann11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

Also:

Can units move between zones, or is this only allowed by certain card effects?

can a specific unit be targeted in combat? Example, if my oppenent has Boar Boys and Black Orcs in the same zone, can I target Boar Boys specifically, or do I have to assign damage to the zone itself, and then my oppenent can choose who (if anyone) defends against that damage? He can choose not to defend and let the zone take the damage if he so chooses, correct?

Thanks!

#7 Mallumo

Mallumo

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

1) Units deal 1 damage in combat for each power icon (hammer) they have. So if one gains 2 hammers while defending, it will deal 2 more damage to the attacking units.

2) Warpstone Excavation is one of the very best cards in the game because it is cheap. You get an additional power icon in the kingdom or quest zone for free. That your units enter this zone corrupted is a negligible disadvantage compared to how much Excavation can jump-start your economy. Not sure what the other part of your comment was about, but support cards don't deal or take damage in combat, and there aren't many effects that can destroy them, so they are quite safe, much more likely to stay in play than units.

3) Cards in play grant loyalty. So it might well be you only have to pay extra for the first card from another faction you play, since it and any additional ones you get into play then provide loyalty of their faction. Many cards just require one or two loyalty, and some are powerful enough it is worth paying more if you don't have even that.

4) Units can only move from one zone to another if a card effect specifically makes them / allows them to.

5) You always attack a zone, and any of the units in it may or may not defend, as the defending player chooses. You never attack units. If the defending player keeps a certain unit out of combat, you will have to find another way to get rid of it, but it also won't deal damage to your attackers, and you will deal more damage to the zone.

When you deal damage in combat, the attacker adds up all the power icons on his attacking units (and adds any "deals +X damage in combat" effects) to get the total damage he can assign. He can distribute that damage however he likes among the defending units. He can only assign damage to the zone if he has assigned enough to all defending units to destroy them (taking into consideration all known damage cancellation effects, like toughness). Likewise, the defender adds up all the damage his defending units deal and assigns it to the attacking units however he likes. That's as far as it goes though, the defender can't deal damage to the attacker's capital.

#8 sammann11

sammann11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

in regards to answer 5):

Ahhhhhh…. thanks!

I'll redirect all other rules questions to the rules forum now, as to quit pestering you ;-)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS