last update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wormiespice

wormiespice

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

The last update was in february and since then we have had nothing in 6 months , FFG is hiring  - maybe they need to look for a new PR person , that way we may get something about the game even if it is bad news .

#2 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

Let's see if there's news from Gencon. 

#3 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

In January, when we were waiting for the game to be released in early 2012 and had no updates, I jokingly said we would see it in February . . . 2013. I think that's probably fairly realistic date to anticipate for this release. I think they're gonna hustle to get this out by Christmas, but I doubt they'll make it.

As for me, I haven't given up on this game, I just have X-Wing to look forward too in the mean time! Personally, I think it worked out well that the games will be released separately.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#4 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

I do feel we'll see some news once all the hoopla of X-Wing and its first wave of expansions have been released, as there are a lot of things coming out at once to ask the fanbase to go for already, without adding another big box to the mix. Having them spaced out like this seems to make more sense, yeah, and also allows for the spotlight to be firmly thrust over one game then the other. I have no idea on the nuances of marketing, of course, but this feels like it makes more sense to me…!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#5 Golden_Nightingale

Golden_Nightingale

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Despite the lack of news I guess it's possible to pre-order this already. Here's a site I order a lot of gaming stuff from and they recently posted Star Wars

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/Board%20Games/Star+Wars%3A+The+Card+Game+Core+Set/Acc-FFGStarWarsTheCardGame/#Star%20Wars:%20The%20Card%20Game%20Core%20Set

I'm thinking there will be something at Gen Con. Either way, I'm looking forward to buying this game.

#6 Rashley

Rashley

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

I still believe that FFG found that the first version of this game was too similar to Lord of the Rings and were scared it would have to compete directly.  It probably had Scenarios that Heroes, aided by Allies and Attachments, plus the odd Events, had to overcome.  Therefore just the same game but set in space in the future.  Lord of the Rings had this style sewn up and was constantly expanding, so a 'clone' would have been detrimental to both.  With all their other new projects, I suspect that this game is on the back burner until it can be completely re-jigged into a completely different style of game.  This could take a long time, but the theme is popular, so it may resurface.  The problem is, that the longer it takes, the more other styles on this theme will emerge.  Perhaps you people lucky enough to get to Gen Con - too expensive from the UK - might pick up some news.  Cheers!

#7 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:54 AM

Oh god, I hope it doesn't take "a long time"! It is really odd that a company would get on board for something like the star wars licence and then only put out one game. Well, I suppose technically they haven't produced any game under said licence in the first year of having it, which seems like a phenomenal waste of money on their part. Unless X-Wing sells so fantastically well that they recoup all their losses in one weekend and they just sit back while the cash flows in. 

From what I remember of the game-that-was, as described, it was probably a bit too similar to LotR, yeah. The obvious solution would be to make it PvP, but then, pretty much every PvP game is the same, you have to beat your opponent with the cards in your deck. That it is taking them so long to come up with the re-jigged Star Wars LCG makes me think it will still be something like co-op, because quite frankly, a professional game design team shouldn't need at least six months to come up with a PvP design, that would just be shockingly embarrassing for all concerned. Though that does kinda assume they've had someone on it since the announcement in February. We'll see, I suppose. 

I'm sure we shall see a card game, though. Largely because LFL, in their announcement from back when Wizards rescinded the licence, stipulated the company seeing miniatures, card and role-playing games as part of their continuing product lines, or whatever. So LFL wants a card game to be made. Added to that is FFG's penchant for making multiple-media games for each of the IPs they seem to have a finger in, it's a bit of a no-brainer that we'll get a card game from them, at some point. 

Does anyone know how long the licence is with FFG for? They may have no reason to hurry, and instead will give us one new game a year…

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS