Do you play ever Talisman by yourself?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kain7th

kain7th

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

You know your friends are just too busy to come over and you got the time to play yourself and want to, so might as well right? as long as you have fun, thats all that matters.

#2 The Thing In The Attic

The Thing In The Attic

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:23 AM

If you play with the Light Bearers alternative ending card from the Bloodmoon expansion then you can play the game solo with a party of characters.

I'm going to try it out myself soon.

#3 Flippy

Flippy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

I played a game by myself once a few weeks ago, tried one of the suggestions on another thread of having a time limit to get to CoC and having to fight one of the alternate ending creatures. Wasn't as much fun though, don't have blood moon expansion but light bearers alternate ending sounds good 

#4 GMG71

GMG71

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Last weekedn I played two characters by myself for over two hours to refesh myslf on the game mechanics.  It was actually guite fun, but not as fun as with a least 1 other person…

#5 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

I am not really playing Talisman by myself. But i did some solo games when the Blood Moon expansion was released.

It can be fun, if you use a time limit and some good music.

But Talisman is meant to play with 2 or more players:)

#6 Flippy

Flippy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

Well my husband is upstairs working so I have just set up a game of Talisman to play the lightbearers alternate ending with two characters by myself. First time playing with the highlands expansion and first time with blood moon…very very excited!

#7 Flippy

Flippy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

Great game, I won, only just, Vampire Slayer made it to CoC. Highland expansion was great, loads of goodies and enemies to kill.

#8 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

Flippy said:

Great game, I won, only just, Vampire Slayer made it to CoC. Highland expansion was great, loads of goodies and enemies to kill.

You won with the light bearers ending?

It looks very difficult, because if you play with 2 characters, then you get 4 fate tokens, and if you draw 4 events, then it's game over.

#9 Flippy

Flippy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

Velhart said:

Flippy said:

It looks very difficult, because if you play with 2 characters, then you get 4 fate tokens, and if you draw 4 events, then it's game over.

You only remove a fate token when night falls, so as you start on day you have to draw seven events before it's game over. To be the honest the only reason I won was because I was playing the vampire hunter, who can discard a non enemy adventure card and draw another (so all events were discarded) and the Cleric who gained an object or follower from the highlands, can't remember exactly which, that also meant he could discard one adventur card and replace with another. At the end when it became clear only the vampire hunter was going to make it to the CoC and was on her way I got the Cleric killed as he'd lost the follower/object that let him discard an adventure card, we were on day and there was only one fate token left!

#10 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

Flippy said:

Velhart said:

Flippy said:

You only remove a fate token when night falls, so as you start on day you have to draw seven events before it's game over. To be the honest the only reason I won was because I was playing the vampire hunter, who can discard a non enemy adventure card and draw another (so all events were discarded) and the Cleric who gained an object or follower from the highlands, can't remember exactly which, that also meant he could discard one adventur card and replace with another. At the end when it became clear only the vampire hunter was going to make it to the CoC and was on her way I got the Cleric killed as he'd lost the follower/object that let him discard an adventure card, we were on day and there was only one fate token left!

Ah you are right.

I have not think about this. It's indeed game over after 7 a 8 events when you play with 2 players.

Vampire hunter can indeed ignore all events with the first draw. So this ending is easier for her than other characters.

But it can be a funny game. But when you play with other characters, then it will be more difficult i think:)

#11 Lilikin

Lilikin

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:04 AM

IMO,

I have computer games for solo play they speed the game up a great deal board games is all about the social for me

unless I am learning mechanics of course!

Wait lassie what's that noise? A few people telling FFG on a forum how to make their own games, well lassie that told them

I have three more ships than you so my opinion is twice as valid!!

#12 mustardayonnaiz

mustardayonnaiz

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:54 AM

The first couple times I ever played was by myself with two characters. It really helps to solidify the mechanics. 

Btw are there any good games for solo play out there? 

#13 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

I am going to play a solo game now.

I am already busy to set up the game:)

The hero of the game is…. the Alchemist.

Let's see if he can finish it within a hour.

#14 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

Hmm, i have play 2 solo games with the Alchemist, and i have use all the expansions and regions boards but it is not so exciting as i thought.

Perhaps it was because of the highland board. He has not finish it within a hour.

I will try another character this evening…

#15 Tertius

Tertius

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

I like to set the game up in my gameroom and leave it on display at the table. I randomly pull four characters, and play a turn (or ten) when I walk by, or can't sleep.  I do this with Runebound as well.  Sure, It's not as good as having a real game, but it beats reality TV.

#16 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

Rarely, but I do. Although most of the fun comes from socializing and screwing over your opponent.

If this game had a good co-op variant, I think I'd get rid of my most of my board game collection.

It's mind-boggingly addictive, and so easy to set up.  Even playing with the same characters is never boring. Each game is like a new experience.

My only gripe, is that some of the alternative endings are pretty filler-ish. It seems like the most inspired  ones are in the Highlands expansion, which makes sense as this was the expansion that introduced them into the 4th edition. Too bad, as I'm not too interested in it otherwise, outside of the extra characters.

With that said, I've just unboxed my Frostmarch expansion, and added all adventures into the towering stack of cards, and the Warlock  Quest variant  that comes with the endings is  interesting. Makes more sense than the Quest Rewards variant in Sacred Pool.  

#17 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

I am doing a solo game today.

Hero of the game is: Illusionist.

Alternative endings: Sacred Pool, Merchant Guild, Ice Queen.

Goal: Collect 4 Quest rewards, and 20 gold, and defeat the ice queen.

Npc's: Reaper, Werewolf, Toad King and Ice Queen.

Board: Mainboard and Highland.

Time: No time limit.

Music: Soul Calibur

My game has already been set up:)

#18 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

I have complete the game now. It was fun!

I have collect 20 gold, receive 4 warlock quest rewards, and have defeated the Ice Queen in 4 hours or something.

#19 Tiggurix

Tiggurix

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Actually it was Frostmarch that introduced Alternative Endings; it was the expansion before Highlands.

#20 GrimGuvna

GrimGuvna

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

Talisman solo play is a highly desirable intriguing thought.  The game mechanics beg other players as part of the games allure is the constant backstabbing and undermining that goes on (usually as a result of spells).  This is difficult in solo play.

With the arrival of Talisman prolouge it has opened up the experience of solo play.  Althought he developers have admitted that to enable this to happen the adventure and card decks have been "doctored" to some extent.

You could do solo play with one character by discarding cards that get drawn relying on other players and drawing another card in it's place.  An expansion just for supporting solo play would be ace though.

To simulate extra deck randomness you could skip  adventure cards in between the next draw or roll a dice. 

Example you land on a draw cards space and roll a dice to determine how many cards you discard before drawing a card to encounter.

You could have extra caracters in play as "Foes".  They have a turn as normal after yours but all their eforts are against you.  If they draw a card that can be used against you they cast it (Requires honesty on your part of course).  In essence they become like the werewolf or reaper who's sole purpose is bringing you down.  but they have to fight monsters that they encounter also and if they die then they are gone.  If they landed on m,y space then they would have to encounter me to the best of their abilities uinless they had no chance of beating me in combat then common sense would prevail.

I might give it a try.l

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS