Photo

Here's a weird situation…Last jump and the "Legendary Discovery" card.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 LynchMob

LynchMob

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

Here’s the situation; the game I was in this afternoon has almost come to a close. The Humans were at exactly 8 jumps distance, needing that one last jump to win. Along comes the card “Legendary Discovery”, which we aced the 14 skill level difficulty. We threw everything we had into passing this check because when you pass it the card states: “Place this card next to the Kobol Objective card. It counts as 1 distance”

We all cheered as now we got the extra jump to win the game.

However…this isn’t exactly a “jump” it just gives you one extra distance to get to Kobol, regardless of if you are at 8 or not already,  it’s not a “real” jump past the 8 number. Any yet…it does have the “Jump” symbol at the bottom of the card (the blue planet with a “1” in it).  I just counted it as a “Win” and didn’t worry about it, because we were at the threshold of winning regardless of the interpretation of this card-I believe we would have won anyway, it just would have taken a turn or two to make the last jump.

How would any one else take this?

#2 Anacreon

Anacreon

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

Our group would not count this as a win.  Yes, the Legendary Discovery card gives an extra distance unit, but the human win requires the humans to jump once more after 8 (or more) units have been reached.  Jumps are based on the jump track and nothing else.  Thus, once the humans have reached 8 units distance, the Legendary Discovery card's bonus distance is useless to humans. 

#3 noise

noise

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

As Anacreon said.

Once you have reached a distance of 8 (or more) you then have to advance up the jump track to jump one last time in order to win.

It is possible to have a distance greater then 8 without this card and you still have to advance up the jump track one more time.

For example, I have 3 destination cards with varying distances: a 2, a 1 and a 3. This gives 6 so I need a distance of 2 to reach 8. We jump and the Admiral chooses a card with the distance of 3. This gives us a total of 9 but we still have to advance up the jump track the final time to win.

#4 LynchMob

LynchMob

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:24 AM

I kinda figured this was the way it would be…

#5 LynchMob

LynchMob

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

UUuhhhhh, Um…you guys aren't Cylons yourselves are you…?

#6 noise

noise

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:57 PM

Not unless I'm one of the final five. Come to think of it, I do occasionally hear music in my head! ;)

#7 LynchMob

LynchMob

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

I wonder if talking to yourself counts…

#8 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Wow, this question got me thinking and I had to go "look stuff up"…  and check/ask a clarification.

(If I have this right)  The distance only is added, it is not a jump (the track does not move/reset, ships are not removed,etc).  It would meet anything that triggers with distance like sleeper/Caprica… immediate.  It would not meet a jump requirement (i.e., end of game.  You have already meet the distance requirement, you just exceeded it).  

The jump could be… jump track move to jump spot, FTL space activation, Cain's OPG…  not just jump track (right?) .

#9 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

Mephisto666 said:

The jump could be… jump track move to jump spot, FTL space activation, Cain's OPG…  not just jump track (right?) .

Yeah, which raises an interesting point…the received wisdom seems to be that Cain should use her OPG early on, but since the consequences of her blind jump don't matter (as long as they can survive the civilian loss), it might actually be best to save the blind jump (except in emergencies) and use it for the last jump of the game, since you don't need to worry about the destination.

Good luck telling that to the other players and not getting airlocked, mind you 

#10 noise

noise

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

While I own both expansions, I am yet to play any. Still having a lot of fun playing core. Sounds like an interesting character trait though!

#11 Holy Outlaw

Holy Outlaw

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

subochre said:

Yeah, which raises an interesting point…the received wisdom seems to be that Cain should use her OPG early on, but since the consequences of her blind jump don't matter (as long as they can survive the civilian loss), it might actually be best to save the blind jump (except in emergencies) and use it for the last jump of the game, since you don't need to worry about the destination.

Good luck telling that to the other players and not getting airlocked, mind you 

Blind Jump can't be used past distance 6. (So yes, I would totally airlock you.) 

#12 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

Holy Outlaw said:

Blind Jump can't be used past distance 6. (So yes, I would totally airlock you.) 

Um… oh…  i totally forgot about that on accident.  Um…  just to prove my loyalty, I will totally pass the next check on my own.  No one put cards in.  Also, XO me.

#13 noise

noise

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

I think Mephisto666 is a cylon! Don't trust him.

#14 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

(Also, facepalm; can't believe I forgot that too.  Shows how often I play Cain.)

#15 Holy Outlaw

Holy Outlaw

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

No sweat, I've done it plenty too. Yet another one of life's little problems that's easily solved by playing more BSG. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS