Necromunda. Is this the game for me?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gamemaster81

gamemaster81

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:50 AM

If I wanted my players to run through a ganger filled hive world would this be the best system for it or one of the other books be better? Im thinking of some street level investigation from the players or would the Rogue trader setting be better? Thanks for all your help.

#2 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Are you going to be using miniatures, cityscapes and constant combat? If not, Necromunda (the game) is not for you, however Necromunda (the world) would fit perfectly. DH works well, you could try RT if you wanted, but DH has a low level start and is flexible.

#3 gamemaster81

gamemaster81

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Thanks thats just what I wanted to hear! I do have the minis for Necro but I wanted to run a street level campaign that just happens to run through the war torn forgeworld of Necromunda. I love the scummy world and think searching for clues while there is a turf war between some House Goliath and House Escher could be a fun backdrop. Are there any source books that flesh out the hive worlds or should I just start homebrewing? Thanks for all your help!

#4 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

Read the Inquisitor's handbook, it has a good amount of Hive knowledge. The necromunda book should have some good stuff in it. And remember, you can run DH with minis too (in fact, it would work pretty well)

#5 Cifer

Cifer

• Members
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

Personally, I'd suggest using Only War and houseruling some things to make the specializations more fitting to your setting. Dark Heresy is a little outdated - why not make use of the updates four iterations of its system have given us?

#6 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

Only War with houserules might work nicely. You could do the various gangs as "regiments" etc.

As for background material - GW offers the Necromunda rulebook and a couple other PDFs as free downloads on their website:

If you'd like to consider alternate house rules, you might also be inclined to take a look at GW's Inquisitor RPG. I found its approach regarding wounds and injuries to be much more balanced than the BI/FFG system (basically: Toughness doesn't work like a 2nd layer of armour, but merely determines how well a character can deal with being wounded - neatly avoids the issue of stacking protection that ends up negating some weapons entirely).

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#7 gamemaster81

gamemaster81

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for all of your responses! I have the Necromunda rulebook from years gone by so the fluff and gangs are no problem for me. I wasnt going to have my players be gang members but PCs that have to deal with the gang infested setting. I really didnt want to homebrew too much other than my adventure since I do like the WFRP ruleset. I have played a good amount of WFRP 2nd ed but have only played two game sessions of Dark Heresy and that was when the game released. I dont really remember it all that well other than it being pretty similar to 2nd ed WFRP and there being Scum! I guess my only real question would be if I wanted my players to be threatened by gangs and not completely roll them which core book would you use? I get that Death Watch is the uber powered Space Marines but out of the other four books (DH, Rouge Trader, Only War, and Black Crusade) do they all scale down to normal street level combat? Is Black Crusade the Chaos equivalent of Death Watch or do they have low powered cultist characters? Im a fan of Eisenhorn so I think I defaulted to Dark Heresy but im all ears really. Thanks again all of your ideas are welcome!

#8 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Cifer said:

Personally, I'd suggest using Only War and houseruling some things to make the specializations more fitting to your setting. Dark Heresy is a little outdated - why not make use of the updates four iterations of its system have given us?

For an "outdated" system it sure gets the love. Which is fine by me, by the way. It's a 40K RPG; what's not to like?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS