How large are games in DUST Warfare

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lordmetroid

lordmetroid

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:53 AM

I just got introduced to DUST Warfare and find it quite interestesting. All I have done so far is to watch a few videos on youtube and checked out the models. I would like to purchase an army but I wonder how large are common games in regards to both points and number of models?

#2 Denied

Denied

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:45 AM

your standard tournament level game is 300AP but 150 is also not a bad starting area for people just getting into the game. Model wise can very greatly with the army, my own army (axis) has about 32 models this is 4 five man units, 2 three man units, a couple of 2 man sniper teams, 2 heroes and 1 heavy walker. This cost me on total $205 dollars. 

#3 lordmetroid

lordmetroid

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

I decided I will order the rulebook and a small force to try the game with some friends.

Of course I lack the rules at the moment but it would be really cumbersome to order the rules and then create a force and order it afterwards and have to wait for the force to arrive. So instead I have looked at the models which I like and used an excellent armybuilder which was linked from these forums to create my initial force.

Sturmgrenadiere Platoon (150 points)
Upgrade: Extra Panzer support
Command Section: Komandotrupp
1st Section: Heavy Flak Grenadiers
2nd Section: Laser Grenadiers
Support: Beobachter team
Support: MPW II-B "Ludwig"
Support: LPW I-B "Hermann"

I am wondering, does this platoon make a good initial force?

#4 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

Since you don't have the book yet, I will help you out here. First off, you have no real use for the beotachter squad in this list so you have no need to take the extra panzer upgrade if you alter your list a bit. Step one, you will not be happy with the laser grenadiers… although they are good in tactics they are not too hot in warfare… their big brothers, the heavy laser grenadiers are fantastic, but the regular laser grenadiers are overpriced and underwhelming and need a hero attached in order to have any usefulness at all… at that point, the attached hero would be better used elsewhere anyway. The other thing is, although they are a great unit and a great choice, the heavy flak grenadiers only come in the revised core set… you can't get them anywhere else so unless you are splitting a core set with someone, you won't be able to start your first 150 points with them in it. So, what you do, is take them and the lasers out and put in the battle grenadiers and the recon grenadiers which you can buy seperately. Then you have enough points to throw in a unit like the gorillas, or better yet, heavy recon grenadiers (for some anti-air and anti-infantry punch) and then you have 4 sections and don't need the 10 point upgrade to take the 2 vehicles… which brings me to the most important change that I would make if I made no other changes…. Say no to the Hermann. Axis are known for having great walkers… unfortunately there is one exception… the Herman… the Hermann is possibly the worst way to spend 20 points on a walker in the game. In its place and it comes out of the same light walker kit is the Heinrich… much better… same 20 points and you get some nice anti-infantry/anti-air.

So your 150 list would look like this.

Kommandotrupp

Recon Grenadiers

Battle Grenadiers

Heavy Recon Grenadiers

Support: Ludwig

Support: Heinrich

=149 points

Or you could use the gorillas in there and either upgrade the battle grenadiers into "Panzer Killers" or use the spare points for a platoon upgrade if you like. I like the gorillas alot but at 150 point level I think the list I made above with the heavy recon grenadiers is the ticket if you are using units that don't come in the revised core set starter box. You have lots of anti-infantry for 150 points, you have enough anti-air for 150 point SSU lists, you have anti-tank with the Ludwig and a little help from the Panzershrek and Panzerfausts, and you have the full command squad with medic and mechanic, and most important of all the radioman. You may not have any artillery (which is why the beobachters are pointless for you right now) but you need the radio for handing out orders to units outside of your 12" command bubble.

You might want to try out something like that lists as opposed to the one you listed… but for sure, you don't want the Hermann or the laser grenadiers and you can't get the heavy flak without buying the core set. Of course, the core set comes with 140 points worth of Germans in it so if you can split the box with someone else who like the allies, many people start their armies out of the core set and you will get the heavy flak and the heavy lasers in there and the Hans walker… all those units are great units and you can't get them outside of the box… and it comes with the hero, Lara…. and you could certainly do worse than Lara if you are looking for a hero… and she pairs up really well with the heavy flaks and she is almost as good with the heavy lasers as she is with the heavy flak grenadiers.

In regards to the question of whether 150 points is a good starting size for an army… its a perfectly good size to start out with. The last game I played a few days ago was at 150 points. It was a 3 player game that I played against an axis and allied player using the SSU. They only had 150 point armies that they started collecting recently by sharing a core set box with the addition of a command unit for the allied player… the axis player just added a platoon upgrade as the core set came with a solid 140 points anyway… and the axis player won the game!

#5 lordmetroid

lordmetroid

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

Thank you for your thorough advice, much appreciated.

I have a hard time dropping the Laser grenadiers, the models are simply too awesome to ignore. I think this would make an interesting force to paint.

Dust Warfare - Force Builder
Faction: Axis ( 148 / 150 )

--- Sturmgrenadiere Platoon (148)
Upgrade: Extra Panzer Support
Command Section: Kommandotrupp
1st Section: Battle Grenadiers [Upgrade]
Support: Sniper Grenadier Team
Support: LPW I-A "Heinrich"

When expandning the force to 300 points, I would like to add Heavy Laser Grenadiers section and a Hans. Furthermore I got really inspired by the painted zombies in http://www.fantasyfl...=6&efidt=669537 Presumably these poor fellas have formerly been Jewish german citizens and find it wickedly evil to include a few of these poor souls in the force.

Faction: Axis ( 295 / 300 )

--- Heroes
Grenadier X

--- Sturmgrenadiere Platoon (208)
Upgrade: Extra Panzer Support
Command Section: Kommandotrupp
1st Section: Battle Grenadiers [Upgrade]
3rd Section: Heavy Laser Grenadiers
Support: Sniper Grenadier Team
Support: LPW I-A "Heinrich"
Support: LPW I-C "Hans"

--- Totenmeister - Zombies (66)
Command Section: Totenmeister (Hero)
1st Section: Axis Zombies
2nd Section: Axis Zombies

I would have to wait with expanding the force until the Hans and Heavy Laser Grenadiers are releases as separate boxes but I am fine with that.

#6 Maine

Maine

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

The Heavy Flak Grenadiers, Heavy Laser Grenadiers, and Hans walker are exlusive to the Revised Core Set.  If you want all the units for one faction out of the RCS, it is a good value - and if you have a group who plays, you can usually trade/sell the other units you don't want.  Some people sell them separately, as well - it may be a long wait for them to be individually boxed.

Beobachters which are practically useless without artillery, though the 2 radiomen models are useful if you take Improved Command upgrade, which allows issuing an extra order to a unit out of range.  The Sniper team in the same box, though, can be quite lethal.

#7 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:37 AM

Strom and Maine have given you great advice and info. As far as the regular LGs go, I am in the minority who like you, love the looks of them so much I actually play them a fair amount. They do have have shortcomings (literally - they are 12" range in a game where 16" is common), but if played masterfully, they can be awesome. I'm a very, very good Dust Warfare player, but I definitely have to work to get my point value out of them before they die. Perhaps that is the other reason I enjoy them so, aside from looking totally BadA$$, they're challenging enough to be very rewarding when played well. I definitely don't recommend them to new players, but if you work at it, and understand their limitations and devise a strategy which mitigates them, they can be good. However, my two esteemed colleagues are right, the HLGs, if played well can be awesome, not just good. If lasers are your thing, the best lasers in the game are on the Wotan and the HLGs.

#8 lordmetroid

lordmetroid

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

I was first a sceptic to the Heavy Panzer Walker but after seeing this wonderful bipedal conversion I have been inspired to add a Sturmkö*** of my own to the force. Out with the zombies and in with the awesome towering behemoth!

Faction: Axis ( 299 / 300 )

--- Sturmgrenadiere Platoon (145)
Upgrade: Extra Panzer Support (10)
Command Section: Kommandotrupp (25)
1st Section: Battle Grenadiers (17)
2nd Section: Laser Grenadiers (21)
Support: MPW II-B "Ludwig" (40)
Support: Sniper Grenadier Team (12)
Support: LPW I-A "Heinrich" (20)

--- Schwer Platoon (154)
Command Section: Lara (29, Hero)
1st Section: Heavy Laser Grenadiers (35)
Support: HPW VI-B "Sturmkö***" (90)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS