Photo

would you like to join an online games night??

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bigideas

bigideas

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hi, 

I am looking to organise a once a week games evening played over the internet for third edition. I am a fairly new GM but I think I could cope following the made stories to start and then proceed from there. I have unfortunately moved out to the countryside and no longer have frequent access to a games club near me. 

What you will need

1) A reasonable internet connection

2) The newest version of Skype, to do 5 way video conference calls

3) A semi decent webcam (or pc/mac with one attached)

4) The ability to commit to 4/5 hours on a monday night (or tuesday if three people can)

5) It would be ideal to have either a big screen so you can see everyone clearly

It would be good if you had a core set for the cards etc. If you don't that is cool as I can photograph and send you copies of mine.

I want three players to start and if I can cope with that maybe another one or two could join. I will set up two web cams on my end so that I will do all dice rolls on a single screen as a dedicated function and for use with rules showing etc.

If you could do this or have any ideas or suggestions please comment below

Cheers

Daniel

#2 nephtys

nephtys

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

most importantly:

which time zone are you in?

otherwise nice idea. so you'll be rolling the dice for any check?

#3 bigideas

bigideas

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

London (UK) evening starting at 6 ish. I will be rolling the dice when checks are needed but you will need to talk me through your pool like normal. 

#4 Matchstickman

Matchstickman

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

bigideas said:

London (UK) evening starting at 6 ish. I will be rolling the dice when checks are needed but you will need to talk me through your pool like normal. 

Is there some reason you are not using Maptools or Fantasy Grounds?

Also, there is an online group that meets irregularly, you might get a better response through the OWL

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=149&efcid=3&efidt=643285

#5 Karma Kollapse

Karma Kollapse

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

bigideas said:

*gasp* But rolling the dice is the best part, you'd take that away! D:

(echoing the last post, there's a google group for online WFRP at groups.google.com/forum/ where you'll find lots of like-minded players, not everything has to fit into the OWL project. Using MapTools or FG2 -might- be more convenient than playing around with a webcam. MapTools is totally free and really easy to pick up for a GM, FG2 is less free but a very polished product)

#6 bigideas

bigideas

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

Haha ok,

you can roll your own dice if you really want to (as long as its in view lol)

I have never heard of that but thanks for letting me know….I will check out the links 

However the offer still stands if people are interested on here

Cheers

Daniel

#7 bigideas

bigideas

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

ok I have just checked out the thread above and I am currently waiting for acceptance to the closed google group. 

From my reading however it seems they will be doing it using specifically using an online programme you need to purchase which is $30 for lite, 40 for full and 140 for ultimate (for each player). Actually just want to keep it simple with a skype call (that is free). I think in future I may want to use it but for now anyone who is interested please feel free to keep commenting. Once I have enough interest on this thread I will set it up using 'a day late, a shilling short' to start us off.

cheers

Daniel

#8 Karma Kollapse

Karma Kollapse

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

bigideas said:

From my reading however it seems they will be doing it using specifically using an online programme you need to purchase which is $30 for lite, 40 for full and 140 for ultimate (for each player).

That's only partly true. FG2 is not a freeware programme, that's true - if you want to GM then you need the full or ultimate edition, a player needs the lite edition or the free/demo edition if the GM has an ultimate edition (which a handful of GMs do).

This is why Maptools - which is also used by GMs in the group - is a great alternative, especially if you're running DLSS. Maptools is completely free, quick and easy to learn, and there's even a pre setup campaign map for DLSS at Gitzman's Gallery so there's minimal setup required on your side.

#9 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:19 AM

Hi Daniel,

I haven't see your request to join but as soon as I do, I'll make sure to accept you fast so that you can recruit like minded players.

As Karma pointed out, maptool is free. You dont even have to use all its features, you could just use the dice roll feature. Peter Lunaris built upon Gitzman features so that recharges can be used, and progress tracker, but I don't think he has made it available yet.

FG2 is 140$ for the GM only, and that's all OR it's 40$ for the GM and ~30$ for the players. It recreates the table experience with Character sheets, actions, talents, recharges identical to the table etc… 

Both are great software for want you want to do. Too bad you arent in the US or I would have love to join. There are several GMs on the groups running online campaigns if you have questions for them.

Cheers

Ceodryn / Philippe 

#10 Timofeo

Timofeo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Are you still looking for players? I have the core set, signs of faith, heroes vault and others currently I dm so I would love to be a player if you are still interested post here we can pick a time I am in Florida so us eastern standard time and I would use a iPad with skype

#11 lightninlad

lightninlad

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Would also be interested in picking up an online game.  I have FG-II and maptools…I'm in FL as well, so EST.  ; P

#12 Timofeo

Timofeo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:57 AM

As far as this map tools and the other thing goes I don't see why cannot just have our sheets in front of us on Skype and be trusted on our rolls theres really no point to cheat in a RPG. Would we decide are character or will we use the randomizing system? 

#13 bigideas

bigideas

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:23 AM

Hello both of you!!

Thanks for adding me as a contact as well, I agree about the skype method to start as I am in the process of checking out maptools….its on my to do list haha

I am happy to start with just you two

(if we can get another person on this thread to join that would be ace …..any takers?)

What we will do is a skype session to meet and have a chat about what we want and test connections. Then I will give you time to come up with the background for your characters and to add any story hooks you might want to included. Once we have done that I will set a time and date.

You are five hours behind us in terms of US eastern time vs UK

If I where to say 6pm start that would actually be a 1 in the afternoon start for you guys

I suggest we Skype next weekend on sat/sunday to test connections…..what times/days are you free?

Cheers

Daniel

#14 Timofeo

Timofeo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

Well 1:00 Monday works currently for me, I would be able to test connection on Sunday as sat is when I run my game of WHFRP at a gaming store. I will most likely use my custom randomizer to make my guy usually I do not write much background I like to have an empty pallete to form the character as I go.

#15 bigideas

bigideas

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

Bump

P.s monday works ok for me at the moment for us to test out skype

Cheers Daniel

#16 Timofeo

Timofeo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

So this Monday we will test I will pm my Skype address

#17 bigideas

bigideas

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

yes….in an hour or so at  8pm Uk time….2pm us eastern time

#18 Timofeo

Timofeo

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

If you want to try tomorrow at 2 my time 8 your time I am up for it, sorry about today my nieghborhood is new so there is alot of construction.

#19 Sami K

Sami K

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

Don't have the equipment needed ATM (not even a microphone!), I suppose I could see about getting those, if they don't cost too much.

#20 bigideas

bigideas

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

Ok so quick update…..just organised and tested first skype signal which was fine for US eastern time……about a second delay on signal. We have decided to start the campaign mid/early September. Any more takers for an online game? 

I am not sure yet if the dice is an issue….we tried a look at rolling on webcam! It was a bit sketchy and I couldn't see to well the results…….I will be looking into map tools as a solution and testing it….if it isn't too much stress I may use it :).

Interested anyone?

Cheers

Daniel 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS