Vehicle Damage Table and Cover question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 th3_greench

th3_greench

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

So my brother and I are new to this game, but are having a blast. So far though, one thing has stumped us, and that's the wording of the vehicle damage table while a unit is in cover.

To our understanding, here is how VDT works:

You attack a vehicle, and you roll 5 attack dice, worth 1 damage each. You land every hit, thus landing 5 damage. The opponent rolls armor. He rolls 4 successful blocks, taking 1 damage. Now, since at least 1 damage was dealt, the attacker now rolls dice EQUAL to the amount of damage dealt BEFORE the armor roll. So he rolls 5 dice on the vehicle damage table to determine the status effect? Is that right?

Which leads to my last question:

The book also states, "Cover reduces damage dealt, and therefore REDUCES THE NUMBER OF DICE ROLLED." ???? This part we don't understand. So, if I roll 5 attack dice, and land 5 successful, and the defender in soft cover rolls 3 successful, and then cover kicks in and gives him 4 successful, I still did 1 damage. But now, I roll ONLY 4 dice on the vehicle damage table, even though I rolled 5 successful??? This doesn't make sense to me, because why does cover damage reduction reduce the effect of the vehicle damage table, and not actual armor roll?

Is this right? And if so, it's it merely a mechanic/property of the game? I mean it seems logical, you get a benefit for being in cover still, but I just want to know what's the proper practice of cover and VDT, and is it simply a property to reduce 1 dice roll (soft cover) or 2 dice rolls (hard cover) from the VDT??? 

#2 mariettabrit

mariettabrit

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:54 AM

th3_greench said:

So my brother and I are new to this game, but are having a blast. So far though, one thing has stumped us, and that's the wording of the vehicle damage table while a unit is in cover.

To our understanding, here is how VDT works:

You attack a vehicle, and you roll 5 attack dice, worth 1 damage each. You land every hit, thus landing 5 damage. The opponent rolls armor. He rolls 4 successful blocks, taking 1 damage. Now, since at least 1 damage was dealt, the attacker now rolls dice EQUAL to the amount of damage dealt BEFORE the armor roll. So he rolls 5 dice on the vehicle damage table to determine the status effect? Is that right?

Which leads to my last question:

The book also states, "Cover reduces damage dealt, and therefore REDUCES THE NUMBER OF DICE ROLLED." ???? This part we don't understand. So, if I roll 5 attack dice, and land 5 successful, and the defender in soft cover rolls 3 successful, and then cover kicks in and gives him 4 successful, I still did 1 damage. But now, I roll ONLY 4 dice on the vehicle damage table, even though I rolled 5 successful??? This doesn't make sense to me, because why does cover damage reduction reduce the effect of the vehicle damage table, and not actual armor roll?

Is this right? And if so, it's it merely a mechanic/property of the game? I mean it seems logical, you get a benefit for being in cover still, but I just want to know what's the proper practice of cover and VDT, and is it simply a property to reduce 1 dice roll (soft cover) or 2 dice rolls (hard cover) from the VDT??? 

You are correct, I think for the 2nd scenario you're thinking about it wrong… yes you got 5 hits but 1 is blocked by the soft cover before it reaches the walker so it never actually damages the vehicle, hence only 4 dice on the VDT. At least that's how I rationalise it ;)

#3 th3_greench

th3_greench

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:05 AM

So, we're reading the cover thing right though? Regardless of my wonky explanation lol. So, behind cover, as long as it takes damage, I still roll dice, but if it's in soft cover I roll 1 less die on the vehicle damage table, and in hard cover I roll 2 less dice on the vehicle damage table???

#4 mariettabrit

mariettabrit

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

yes (Number of hits - Cover) would be the amount rolled on the VDT assuming that 1 point or more was not blocked by armour.

so 5 hits, 1 cover and 3 armour rolls would be 1 dmg to vehicle and 4 dice on the VDT.

#5 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

Another thing to keepin mind is the wording of, "equal to the amount of damage dealt to the vehicle before the Armor roll. Cover reduces the damage dealt, and therefore reduces the number of dice rolled."  Which means if a unit of HLGs hit your Fireball in Hard Cover with 3 hits (quite within the realm of probability with a sustained attack and at least one more hit on the Laser Reroll), then assuming they fail they're armor roll, you'd roll 7 dice on the VDT (amount of damage dealt after reduced by cover (not amount of hits). Our group played that wrong for the first week or so, matching the amount of dice rolled on VDT with amount which rolled hits. There are a fair number of weapons which do more than 1/1 damage. 

#6 th3_greench

th3_greench

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Shadow4ce said:

Another thing to keepin mind is the wording of, "equal to the amount of damage dealt to the vehicle before the Armor roll. Cover reduces the damage dealt, and therefore reduces the number of dice rolled."  Which means if a unit of HLGs hit your Fireball in Hard Cover with 3 hits (quite within the realm of probability with a sustained attack and at least one more hit on the Laser Reroll), then assuming they fail they're armor roll, you'd roll 7 dice on the VDT (amount of damage dealt after reduced by cover (not amount of hits). Our group played that wrong for the first week or so, matching the amount of dice rolled on VDT with amount which rolled hits. There are a fair number of weapons which do more than 1/1 damage. 

I understand what we're talking about, but I think I'm lost on your example, sorry! >< But yeah, roll dice equal to the damage dealt, not hits.

#7 th3_greench

th3_greench

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Btw THANKS guys! Quick replies!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS