Whats your epic play?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Eyedunno52

Eyedunno52

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

My girlfriend and I were playing the other day, and I played cards in a way I had not before, for a pretty epic turn around.  We were playing The Seventh Level. It should have been easy enough (difficulty 3) but we were having terrible luck, and goblin after goblin just kept popping up. At one point we were each enguaged with two, both of those pulled Goblin spearmen and swordsmen as shadow cards which added more. Then on the next turn a few more flipped. Add that to the sniper that was harassing us… thing looked pretty bad. At the end of a round we were each down to one ally. She had a two dead heroes. I was holding a Gandalf and a Sneak attack. Simple enough combo thats been around forever… and I almost played it… then I realized I was holding a Longbeard Orc Slayer as well. Now, I just tossed him in because he was a dwarf, and I always appriciated the extra damage or two on an enemy. Now I dont know why it never occured to me to sneak attack something in the Resource phase before, but it just clicked for me. I sneak attacked using one of the two resource Dain had. BAM one damage to all orcs in play. Then Bifur stole Dain's last resource, turned the four he now had into leadership (thanks to Navi's belt) then played the Longbeard Orc Slayer during the planning step… The board cleared except for one enemy. 5 total resource and what is usually considered a sub-par card, just killed nearly a dozen enemies.  We won the game two rounds later.

Anybody else have awesome stories using less popular cards?

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

nothing clever on my behalf really- just something that gave me alot of satisfaction ….

return to mirkwood had just came out and for solo play it was a horror….i had been playing it with my standard decks and losing by threat increase in just a handful of turns

but then i thought why not just throw in every rohan card and make an all spirit super-fast deck? so i did, and walked it……complete and utter luck of course, but winning that for the first time, against all the odds was very 'epic' in my eyes.

that deck got called the rabbit run deck afterwards, i just like to call it the epic-rohan-deck-that-only-ever-won-me-1-game-deck

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:49 AM

I think my most "amazing" game was 3 player Journey down the Audin were we had a Hill Troll drawn in our first quest so we had both out in turn 1 and thne next turn an archer… I kind of forget the order but it went even worse but we hung in there and didn't scoop.. and made it across teh river alive.. extremely satisfying game and a great example for me of how great this game can be.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#4 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:15 AM

Massing at Osgiliath solo:

Can´t remember my exact hand, but there were 2 Gandalfs and Riversong in it.

The encounter card was Cut off , Eleanor canceled it to get Ranger of Ithilien, those two surge into Massing at Osgiliath and Dark Pursuit and then MaO surges into another Version of Massing, that surges into a Snaga Scout, with Emyn Arnen Overlook as the active location there came another Snaga.

Luckely I had not crossed the Anduin yet.

So this resulted in a threat gain of 10 because of all the dommed stuff.

Did not win…….

#5 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

was playing a dwarf deck last night (solo) on Passage through Mirkwood for old times sake and the hummerhorns came out and I had no way to deal with it in the staging area. I get to the final quest card and have to kill Ungoliant's Spawn. Hummerhorns engage, deal 5 damage to gimli (who, thank goodness, had Boots from Erebor). Gimli then is able to swing for the win against Ungoliant (with a little help from Bifur and Dain), totally bypassing the other 3 enemies in the staging area for the win! :)

Not "epic" but I thought it was pretty sweet that the hummerhorns actually came in handy instead of being devastating. :)

#6 schmoo34

schmoo34

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

Dain Ironfoot said:

was playing a dwarf deck last night (solo) on Passage through Mirkwood for old times sake and the hummerhorns came out and I had no way to deal with it in the staging area. I get to the final quest card and have to kill Ungoliant's Spawn. Hummerhorns engage, deal 5 damage to gimli (who, thank goodness, had Boots from Erebor). Gimli then is able to swing for the win against Ungoliant (with a little help from Bifur and Dain), totally bypassing the other 3 enemies in the staging area for the win! :)

Not "epic" but I thought it was pretty sweet that the hummerhorns actually came in handy instead of being devastating. :)

Just don't tell booored that you used "Heavy Stroke" card to do the final blow…

#7 mr.thomasschmidt

mr.thomasschmidt

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

schmoo34 said:

Epic! ;)

#8 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

mr.thomasschmidt said:

schmoo34 said:

Epic! ;)

hahaha. phew! it wasn't in my deck. ;)

#9 MADG0BLIN

MADG0BLIN

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

i have been playing the dead marshes for about 7 times now. Twice it ended in almost the same way. I had 3 tokens on gollum and  was ready for the final test Both times I committed 7 willpower and both times I drew The Lights of the Dead with Escape: 5 + another zero and one with Escape: 2…

How unlucky can you be. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS