Void Combat

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DailyDose

DailyDose

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:57 AM

I just finished reading Know No Fear, from the Horus Heresy series, and I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on zero-g/void combat as it occurs toward the end of the book. Do any of the rule books cover it in more detail? If not, does anybody have any house rules. Thanks. Sorry if this has already been addressed in another thread.

#2 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

The only detail that I know of is from DH, where anyone but a void born has a penalty to actions when doing something in the void.

#3 Nathiel

Nathiel

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Sadly I haven't read that one (yet) so I'm not sure what specific types of combat you're refering to, but here are a couple of places to look:

Rules for Zero G are on p.210

Rules for Vacuum are on P. 261

#4 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Nathiel said:

Sadly I haven't read that one (yet) so I'm not sure what specific types of combat you're refering to, but here are a couple of places to look:

Rules for Zero G are on p.210

Rules for Vacuum are on P. 261

Some things to keep in mind with Zero G rules, remember Newton's Laws. specifically the 1st and 3rd. If your characters launch off of an object in zero-G AND in vacuum, they won't stop until they hit something (or another thing halts their movement or provides momentum in another direction). A miscalculated jump could send a character carrening out into empty space with nothing to stop his movement.

"Drift out of control" is more seriously than just falling prone. In this instance the falling prone means the character needs to take a half action to regain control of his personal motion. He may still be drifting after regaining control, i.e. floating away from the bulkhead he tripped away from, and will continue to drift until he can change his direction or halt his momentum (via a hand-hold, firing thrusters, or bouncing off another wall). If you're going into zero-g (especially 'outside') your players need to be careful. If they aren't using grav boots, controlled thrust packs, or tethers I say they deserve to drift off and away forever into the black depths of space if they trip up.

Current rules for vacuum and space marine biology means a space marine can likely survive vacuum exposure for quite some time, although I doubt even an astartes can last forever in the emptiness of space. But 1d10+3 minus 8, 10, or even 12 can result in a fairly long sojurn into the black.

#5 DailyDose

DailyDose

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

Thanks, everybody.

#6 Thebigjul

Thebigjul

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

Concerning the "void" combat in "Know no fear" remember that there is a little "atmosphere" between the ship hull and the shields, not much but not void.

#7 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

Thebigjul said:

Concerning the "void" combat in "Know no fear" remember that there is a little "atmosphere" between the ship hull and the shields, not much but not void.

Better watch out pulling things like this from books and using it as truth. In reality that ship was huge (with a lot of gravity), likely had hull breaches everywhere (leaking oxygen into space), probably wasn't moving very fast, and it also had plot-atmo-shielding. Its unlikely any ship, even in 40k, is massive enough to maintain an atmosphere, however large. Even if it did, the second it moved anywhere its atmo would be left behind.

#8 Polaria

Polaria

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

A while back I actually wrote a set of totally new rules for Vacuum and Rapid Decompression. You can find the full story in Dark Heresy forums (LINK), but I'll quote the rules parts:

House Rules for Rapid Decompression and Vacuuum

Rapid Decompression

I1d10+3X damage per round for rapid decompression for up to 3 rounds after which you are exposed to vacuum. In rapid decompression scenarios the time of exposure is relative to the amount of time you spend in the way of the air rushing out. If you are in a small, close room or airlock when the door (or hole as it may be) opens to vacuum, you'll only suffer 1 round of rapid decompression damage. In bigger space it might be 2 or 3 rounds. After 3 round your body is already depressurized and there is no further rapid decompression damage.

Vacuum

In vacuum a person will start suffocating at double rate if not wearing a breathing apparatus. In addition anyone exposed to vacuum will take 1d10+3X damage/minute.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS