Jump to content



Photo

Where can I find Rogue Trader Play By Post Games?


  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

    Member

  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

I have been looking all over the web to try and find Play By Post games for Rogue Trader… to no avail.  Where on the web are any actively-recruiting PbP games of RT held?  Is anyone here running one?  Willing to run one?  Thanks!



#2 HeavensThunderHammer

HeavensThunderHammer

    Member

  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:11 AM

 I know Giant in the playground forms have had some, as well as the forums at www.rpg.net . 



#3 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

    Member

  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

I checked there; I can't find any active games at either of those places…



#4 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

    Member

  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

Any more ideas? I am still looking!



#5 Seeten

Seeten

    Member

  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

You can try Dakka?

I know of a lot more roll20/skype/irc games on the go than I do play by post, though, mostly because I hate play by post with a fiery passion.



#6 Raiu

Raiu

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

There is a Black Crusade game on rpg.net that I am running. I'm sure I could sneak you into it if you wanted to join.

 

As for Rogue Trader… Not sure.



#7 ShadowFighter88

ShadowFighter88

    Member

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

Turn up now and again on Myth Weavers, though the one I'm in on there at the moment I gave a bit of a nudge by making a thread in the Game Planning forum looking for a GM.



#8 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

Nerdbound.com have at least one running game of Rogue Trader but the best way is probably to start on yourself.



#9 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

    Member

  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

ShadowFighter88 said:

 

Turn up now and again on Myth Weavers, though the one I'm in on there at the moment I gave a bit of a nudge by making a thread in the Game Planning forum looking for a GM.

 

 

Like this thread I made some time ago?

www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php

@Rairu: Eh, Black Crusade?  Well.  My character concept COULD work as a Heretek of some sort, I suppose…

 

How 'actively chaotic' is the existing Black Crusade game?



#10 ShadowFighter88

ShadowFighter88

    Member

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

Gavinfoxx said:

ShadowFighter88 said:

 

Turn up now and again on Myth Weavers, though the one I'm in on there at the moment I gave a bit of a nudge by making a thread in the Game Planning forum looking for a GM.

 

 

Like this thread I made some time ago?

www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php

 

Ah, didn't realise you'd tried the same.  I guess it's more luck-of-the-draw with those, then, but give it a bit more time and see what happens.  As long as it's on the first page of Game Planning, someone's bound to see it.



#11 Errant

Errant

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

Gavinfoxx said:

How 'actively chaotic' is the existing Black Crusade game?

The rules are largely designed to support it, but it's not a prerequisite for playing. Honestly, my players spent more time doing rogue tradery stuff (Coming up with plans, negotiating with powerful individuals, dicking around in their ship) than they did attempting to perform chaos rituals or anything like that.



#12 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

    Member

  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

Errant said:

Gavinfoxx said:

 

How 'actively chaotic' is the existing Black Crusade game?

 

 

The rules are largely designed to support it, but it's not a prerequisite for playing. Honestly, my players spent more time doing rogue tradery stuff (Coming up with plans, negotiating with powerful individuals, dicking around in their ship) than they did attempting to perform chaos rituals or anything like that.

What's the link to your game? Or is it not a PbP game?



#13 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

    Member

  • Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

 I'd love to join or even GM one but I don't have many RT books (only core book so far) and I'm always sceptical at hosting pbp games as they tend to die out and then I've "wasted" alot of time thinking about a story arch.



#14 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

    Member

  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

Ghaundan said:

 I'd love to join or even GM one but I don't have many RT books (only core book so far) and I'm always sceptical at hosting pbp games as they tend to die out and then I've "wasted" alot of time thinking about a story arch.

 

Than what about Skype?



#15 Internus

Internus

    Member

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

I might be willing to GM a PbP. You definitely want to do RT, or would you be open to a different 40k game?

Anyone else interested? If so, which game is prefered?



#16 Malakh

Malakh

    Member

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

Internus said:

I might be willing to GM a PbP. You definitely want to do RT, or would you be open to a different 40k game?

Anyone else interested? If so, which game is prefered?

Count me interested! I've been looking for a game on rpol.net, but they're either filled, in Hungarian, or feature xenos-heavy crews.

I definitely want to play Rogue Trader, but Dark Heresy is also cool. As for Deathwatch, it will be hard to play via PbP because there will be a lot of combat involved.



#17 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

    Member

  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

Well, my want for a Rogue Trader game is definitely… Not normal for the game or setting, exactly.

I was thinking of one theme that isn't done much with 40k is a game that does something like, 'choose a goal for how to affect some sort of drastic change of the setting. Do your level best to make that change. Good luck!'

I'm thinking a highly-resourceful group using the Rogue Trader system (as it is best for people with the ability to maybe make a change), maybe with some things taken from the Ascension DH book, or other books, and all the player characters are designed to 'want to change something', would be interesting.

Take a setting that is very much designed to be stagnant (or at least very, very, very stable), and see if it is possible to actually affect change on it -- especially if that change was intended to brighten some of the darkness (!).

Or, they could fail miserably. But the point is, I have had an idea for a character who primarily exists in the Rogue Trader system, who has as his main desire, an interest in affecting change on the Imperium. What do you think of that theme?

I was choosing Rogue Trader as the primary (with imports as-needed from the other books), is that it inherently places you as a sort of person who might not love the Imperium exactly (but who could still plausibly love Humanity in general), who might be okay with committing some preeeettyyyy big heresies and crimes out in the Expanse past the Halo stars, because the idea for the character I wanted to play has… well, like I said, quite a lot of unique goals; I liked the idea of a character that would work best where they are all members of a Rogue Trader's ship who each want to change something big about the big, stagnant/stable/decaying Imperium, and everyone is working together to achieve the groups' mutual goals…

That said, for those of you interested in playing (and who like this theme!), if you had to make a character who had some 'big goal' regarding changing the Imperium, what sort of character would they be, and what would the goal be?



#18 Malakh

Malakh

    Member

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

 Wanting to improve the lot of humanity can take many, many forms in RT, not all of them heretical or heretekal, but quite a number would be.

Personally? I would like to play an Illuminati member with access to the Black Library so that I can bring about the reincarnation of the Emperor.



#19 Gavinfoxx

Gavinfoxx

    Member

  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

Malakh said:

 Wanting to improve the lot of humanity can take many, many forms in RT, not all of them heretical or heretekal, but quite a number would be.

Personally? I would like to play an Illuminati member with access to the Black Library so that I can bring about the reincarnation of the Emperor.

I feel that that might be beyond the scope of a RT game, at least as a starting character!  I stretched the scope, for sure… but it looks like you totally blew it away!  I just thought it would be interesting to play idealistic, overly informed Radical types.



#20 Malakh

Malakh

    Member

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:15 AM

Gavinfoxx said:

Malakh said:

 

 Wanting to improve the lot of humanity can take many, many forms in RT, not all of them heretical or heretekal, but quite a number would be.

Personally? I would like to play an Illuminati member with access to the Black Library so that I can bring about the reincarnation of the Emperor.

 

 

I feel that that might be beyond the scope of a RT game, at least as a starting character!  I stretched the scope, for sure… but it looks like you totally blew it away!  I just thought it would be interesting to play idealistic, overly informed Radical types.

 Whooops.

There are several option in the Origins Path that actually allow you to do that, get radical-minded RT characters. I like the one that makes you a seeker of Archeotech.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS