Jump to content



Photo

Lucky Charm


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mustardayonnaiz

mustardayonnaiz

    Member

  • Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

 Can a hero use his lucky charm during travel to reroll an attribute test?

Does the card become refreshed at the start of their next turn? 



#2 KristoffStark

KristoffStark

    Member

  • Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:02 AM

mustardayonnaiz said:

 Can a hero use his lucky charm during travel to reroll an attribute test?

Does the card become refreshed at the start of their next turn? 

This came up in one of our campaign sessions, and we decided that the answers were:

Yes.

and Yes.

However, since there are no "turns" during Travel, that didn't happen until the first round of the Quest, meaning that it was not available for the Attribute test that came up in the second Travel event.



#3 Coldmoonrising

Coldmoonrising

    Member

  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:02 AM

To play devils-advocate here (I think), considering the "time-frame" of a hero using the lucky charm in a dungeon and being tested then refreshing it for his/her next turn would be about what… 5-20 seconds of "real life" time, possibly.

Considering how far the heroes are traveling from Arhynn (I'm sure my spelling is off right now) to the next quest, the time between two travel effects is much greater, say 30mins to 1 hours of "real life" time. Far greater then the time to refresh the lucky charm between turns.

Why wouldn't the hero be allowed to use his lucky charm again, once, in a 2nd travel effect attribute test???

 

DEBATE!!! … lol



#4 KristoffStark

KristoffStark

    Member

  • Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:53 AM

Coldmoonrising said:

Why wouldn't the hero be allowed to use his lucky charm again, once, in a 2nd travel effect attribute test???

 

DEBATE!!! … lol

Because the rules don't allow for it?

Seriously though, while I understand your point about the abstract nature of time, and that it doesn't make much sense for it to refresh so often in a Quest, but not in travel, the fact is the rules don't allow for it.

At the same time, I could ask why the heroes don't just take quick Rest actions while traveling to remove Fatigue they might suffer as a result of events.  The answer: Because the rules say that they keep that fatigue.



#5 mustardayonnaiz

mustardayonnaiz

    Member

  • Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

I was thinking I would allow them to use the lucky charm during travel, but only once, and refresh the card at the beginning of their turn. 

But I can see the travel-time argument…..

 

ok another off topic question, but while you guys are here………can a character use a skill card, that only states exhaust this card and with the cost of fatigue, in addition to his two actions, as long as the card doesn't specify to use as an action

bear with me….the disciple, I think, has a healing type skill that states (something like) exhaust this card to regain x-hearts at the cost of 1 fatigue. But doesn't have the special skill arrow, or specifically state use as an action. 



#6 wootersl

wootersl

    Member

  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

mustardayonnaiz said:

I was thinking I would allow them to use the lucky charm during travel, but only once, and refresh the card at the beginning of their turn. 

But I can see the travel-time argument…..

 

ok another off topic question, but while you guys are here………can a character use a skill card, that only states exhaust this card and with the cost of fatigue, in addition to his two actions, as long as the card doesn't specify to use as an action

bear with me….the disciple, I think, has a healing type skill that states (something like) exhaust this card to regain x-hearts at the cost of 1 fatigue. But doesn't have the special skill arrow, or specifically state use as an action. 

I would have to say that even though it doesn't have an arrow on it (which could possibly be a typo), it's still a Skill Card and using a Skill Card is listed as an action. So, you would need to use an action to use it.



#7 mustardayonnaiz

mustardayonnaiz

    Member

  • Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

Well I can understand your reasoning and I would tend to agree, but I am not sure….for instance the thief has a special search card, which has no arrow, but specifically says to use it as a search action, that would then burn an action. 

So maybe it is a typo or something but……..there is another card, nimble I think, that would allow you to use fatigue to move one space during a monsters turn if it was in an adjacent space. This card also allows you to exhaust the card at the cost of one fatigue. But you would do this after your hero used both actions while it is the overlords turn. So the logic between these two cards then seems inconsistent. 

 



#8 wootersl

wootersl

    Member

  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

Well, I can also see that. Maybe the card was designed to be used as a non-action, use whenever you needed to card. So it could be used during the OL's turn or another Hero's turn. Sort of like an Interrupt Action.



#9 mustardayonnaiz

mustardayonnaiz

    Member

  • Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

wootersl said:

Well, I can also see that. Maybe the card was designed to be used as a non-action, use whenever you needed to card. So it could be used during the OL's turn or another Hero's turn. Sort of like an Interrupt Action.

I actually haven't played the game yet, I will be playing this weekend with my GF, my sister and her husband, and another friend, so I just want to get some of these questions answered before then. Also I am pretty bored here at work 

Thanks a lot for your help! 



#10 wootersl

wootersl

    Member

  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

lol I've only played once, and then only the into game. So I feel ya. I'm browsing for the same reason. Boredom at work and to get these problems other people have encountered figured out before I start playing the campaign. You welcome and have fun!



#11 KristoffStark

KristoffStark

    Member

  • Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

mustardayonnaiz said:

ok another off topic question, but while you guys are here………can a character use a skill card, that only states exhaust this card and with the cost of fatigue, in addition to his two actions, as long as the card doesn't specify to use as an action

bear with me….the disciple, I think, has a healing type skill that states (something like) exhaust this card to regain x-hearts at the cost of 1 fatigue. But doesn't have the special skill arrow, or specifically state use as an action. 

The card you are referring to is the Disciple card "Healing Prayer."

My understanding of it is that since it does not have the action arrow, using it does not require an action.



#12 mustardayonnaiz

mustardayonnaiz

    Member

  • Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

KristoffStark said:

mustardayonnaiz said:

 

ok another off topic question, but while you guys are here………can a character use a skill card, that only states exhaust this card and with the cost of fatigue, in addition to his two actions, as long as the card doesn't specify to use as an action

bear with me….the disciple, I think, has a healing type skill that states (something like) exhaust this card to regain x-hearts at the cost of 1 fatigue. But doesn't have the special skill arrow, or specifically state use as an action. 

 

 

The card you are referring to is the Disciple card "Healing Prayer."

My understanding of it is that since it does not have the action arrow, using it does not require an action.

Yes that is the card! 

Thanks for the clarification. Everything says unless it has the arrow, or specifically states to use an action, it would be similar to a free action then.

 

 



#13 Rico

Rico

    Member

  • Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

As long as a skill card does not have the action symbol it can be played any time during the player's turn (unless otherwise specified on the skill card). From the Perform Actions section of the Rule Book (page 7): "Use A Skill - The hero uses a skill listed on one of his Class cards THAT REQUIRES AN ACTION. These actions are denoted with a (action arrow image).". So, no action icon equals a passive ability.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS