• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

thorin- as expected really- artwork already spoiled early in the game, nice ability in a dwarf deck, still not as good as dain?? though with a couple of erebor record keepers and a 3 dwarf hero deck he could be collecting 2 resources by the early rounds

others had already been spoiled but nice to see an english version- both great cards

i like the designer's take on the characters- especially gandalf and the party being terrified and relaxed when he comes and goes

NOTE the 'at least ONE famous hobbit' - probably getting another then?

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#2 impaulm

impaulm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:50 AM

I have really enjoyed these new cards and Hero previews lately. I have been excited to try every new hero since the beginning of Dwarrowdelf and Thorin looks just as great! With Dain in play he has 4 willpower and strength! Leadership has some serious willpower now, and I am looking forward to some new deck building possibilities.

#3 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

impaulm said:

I have really enjoyed these new cards and Hero previews lately. I have been excited to try every new hero since the beginning of Dwarrowdelf and Thorin looks just as great! With Dain in play he has 4 willpower and strength! Leadership has some serious willpower now, and I am looking forward to some new deck building possibilities.

yes there is a good combo potential with dain - though threat is rather high do you think?

rich

#4 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

What I have been hoping from Leadership was a lower threat cost hero but I do like Thorin nonetheless.

Fifty play cards the designer says. That means in two boxes I feel. Thus I count 25 per box with 5 unique to the Hobbit saga only (Bilbo, Baggin's player card, 3 Treasures), 4 heroes (to make the ottaly of 5) and likely one per sphere and 16 the rest, the player cards. Does that sound about right?

#5 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:58 AM

richsabre said:

impaulm said:

yes there is a good combo potential with dain - though threat is rather high do you think?

rich

Quite a few Dwarven cards seem to be meant (or working best) for 2 (or more) decks. Thorin and Dain may be a good example of that. With both in a deck, you're looking for 30 starting threat at least (with Bifur) unless Dwarves get a Glorindel kind of a hero.

#6 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

Earlier today I had a thought. Shall we ever see an ally of cost 0. Like a real chump of say 0/0/1+1 stats? I think all is but inevitable. A Dwarf like that could boost some of their strategies already - like the Battle Master (not that he needs any more boosting), Legacy of Durin, or now Thorin.

#7 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

lleimmoen said:

Earlier today I had a thought. Shall we ever see an ally of cost 0. Like a real chump of say 0/0/1+1 stats? I think all is but inevitable. A Dwarf like that could boost some of their strategies already - like the Battle Master (not that he needs any more boosting), Legacy of Durin, or now Thorin.

i would think so- it would probably be a real conditional ally, only useful in a certain situation, or a certain combo. or perhaps it has negative effects on use

rich

#8 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

lleimmoen said:

What I have been hoping from Leadership was a lower threat cost hero but I do like Thorin nonetheless.

Fifty play cards the designer says. That means in two boxes I feel. Thus I count 25 per box with 5 unique to the Hobbit saga only (Bilbo, Baggin's player card, 3 Treasures), 4 heroes (to make the ottaly of 5) and likely one per sphere and 16 the rest, the player cards. Does that sound about right?

I was thinking that would mean 5 new heroes and about 15 new cards (x 3 copies) in the first expansion, but maybe you're right. Just for comparison I looked again at Khazad-dum. It had 11 player cards with 3 copies each plus 2 heroes. So it looks like we'll be getting more player cards in these expansions! Sweet!

#9 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

i wonder why thorin was spoiled when the game was released? it was on tiziano's site as well

#10 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

I found Thorin to be a little underwhelming personally.  I'm not in love with the art and his starting threat is quite high.  Stats are good but his ability most likely wont come into play until the 2nd turn.

While he combos well with Dain (well what dwarf doesnt…) I think he'd excel best if it was those two plus Dwalin.  The blue sphere gives you access to Galadhrim's Greeting plus Dwalin alone can lower threat.  Quest with Thorin, Attack with Dwalin, Defend with Dain.  Using blue also gives you Ever my Heart Rises which u can give to Thorin to be able to take advantage of his two best stats both Questing and Attack.  Dunedain marks can be used on Dwalin to ensure you kill the orcs and lower your threat.

Love both the new Gandalf and Sting.  You can just abuse Gandalf in a deck using the new Aragorn or Glorfindel and Sting is just super powerful.  Artwork for both those cards is fantastic as well.

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#11 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

So this is just speculation.. but treasure cards are the new mechanic right.. were you find items during the quest in the encounter deck and then use them in more than one quest making a campaign.

So.. dose this mean sting is not able to be used in player decks? Or do you have to place it in the encounter deck each time?

Like we do not use objectives in out own decks.. how is this different?

richsabre said:

impaulm said:

rich

yeah, his threat is very high… still at 4 will … hmm.. mighty tempting.. not sure how you could use him in a solo game but having a single player runnign 1 or 2 heroes in mltiplayer and have it this guy would do very well.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#12 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

Seriously, another high cost Leadership hero? I know there was a Spirit hero in FOS, but come on, how about a high cost (10+) Spirit hero. Hell, Leadership has more 10+ heroes than those under 10   while Spirit (who could have the threat reduction) has none at 10+!

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#13 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

Pharmboys2013 said:

I found Thorin to be a little underwhelming personally.  I'm not in love with the art and his starting threat is quite high.  Stats are good but his ability most likely wont come into play until the 2nd turn.

While he combos well with Dain (well what dwarf doesnt…) I think he'd excel best if it was those two plus Dwalin.  The blue sphere gives you access to Galadhrim's Greeting plus Dwalin alone can lower threat.  Quest with Thorin, Attack with Dwalin, Defend with Dain.  Using blue also gives you Ever my Heart Rises which u can give to Thorin to be able to take advantage of his two best stats both Questing and Attack.  Dunedain marks can be used on Dwalin to ensure you kill the orcs and lower your threat.

Love both the new Gandalf and Sting.  You can just abuse Gandalf in a deck using the new Aragorn or Glorfindel and Sting is just super powerful.  Artwork for both those cards is fantastic as well.

Pharmboys2013 said:

Lore combos just as well if not better for Dwarves than Spirit does, I think. You get the cheap allies, Record-keeper, Hammersmith, Miner and the Legacy of Dúrin, for instance.

#14 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

Dam said:

Seriously, another high cost Leadership hero? I know there was a Spirit hero in FOS, but come on, how about a high cost (10+) Spirit hero. Hell, Leadership has more 10+ heroes than those under 10   while Spirit (who could have the threat reduction) has none at 10+!

i think that has themeatic reasoning behind it- after all the leaders will draw the eye of sauron more

#15 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Pharmboys2013 said:

Gotta agree with lleimmoen on the Green Dwarves, they add as much as the blue will. 

You DID take the words out of my mouth for my thoughts on Thorin, though.  I wasn't blown away, to put it mildly.  Artwork wasn't at the level as recent heroes have been.  And since I won't run him with Dain (more in a second), his gametext is only kinda…. meh.  Why not with Dain?  Realistically, because I love my green AND blue additions to the Dwarven deck.  Running two high-threat leadership dwarves in a single deck borders on near absurdity (apologies if anyone thinks that too strong a term), for a number of reasons.  I will not go so far as to say it CAN'T be done… lol… just don't see the logic.  To do so means you:

1)  Give up either a green or blue hero to draw in the much-needed support from those spheres (sorry Red, as always you are relegated to my 2nd dwarven deck).  So now you're adding Songs to your deck to bring in those other allies/events you need from that third (or fourth if you want the red) sphere.  Again, YES it can be done, it just forces you to raise your card count OR drop other cards that are valuable to your synergy.  No bueno.

2)  Start with unnecessarily hight threat, forcing you to use Dwalin (and I do, but I will admit his threat reduction response doesn't trigger as often as you might hope sometimes), or to include more threat reduction in your hand (or hope to high heaven you keep pulling Gandalf and Sneak Attack throughout the game).  Again, starts messing with your synergy and count.

3)  On the plus side, Thorin's ability is perfectly suited to Dwarven themes in the game…. sheer numbers.  You can get a good number of them out for cheap and early, and getting an extra resource is always welcome.  However, you can gather that extra resource by simpler means (Steward…, Zigil, etc…) that are most likely already in your deck (please tell me they're in your deck… lol).

4)  Another plus, his willpower and attack are great (and with Dain's bump, puts him up there with the Holy Grail of questing, Eowyn).  And since none of his gametext is tied to specific phases (questing, defend, attack… like Dwalin, for instance), he really becomes a "utility" hero…. he can be used for pretty much anything.  Yeah his 1 defence doesn't do anything for him, but with solid starting HP, he becomes perfectly suited to team with the red dwarves for fighting…

So what this means (I don't claim that everyone else's approach should be the same) is that Thorin will be a perfect fit as the "leader" of a second dwarven deck that can be played alongside the first (led by Dain).  This gives him the best of both worlds.   Pair him with a red or two (or Gloin), and create a minion-slaying gang that can keep the pressure off of Dain's questing crew…

Of course, this all could change based on Orcrist's game text does for him…

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#16 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

So with the scheduled release of "Mid-August" being just around the corner, will I be playing Shadow and Flame this weekend?

"I will not be released in the second quarter!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#17 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

Bullroarer Took said:

So with the scheduled release of "Mid-August" being just around the corner, will I be playing Shadow and Flame this weekend?

doubt it….i reckon we have another preview to go, and if youre like me and live in europe- probably another fortnight/3 weeks….and my supplier usually gets it a week later…so a month for me ….wah!

#18 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

richsabre said:

Bullroarer Took said:

doubt it….i reckon we have another preview to go, and if youre like me and live in europe- probably another fortnight/3 weeks….and my supplier usually gets it a week later…so a month for me ….wah!

I thought they said that FaS is coming out this week?  Or did I misunderstand the question?

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3437

(Edited to add link)

(Edited again to correct stupid link-altering function of the editor)

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#19 impaulm

impaulm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

Pharmboys2013 said:

I guess he kinda does look like Hagrid from Harry Potter… Still, very fun to try 2-player, with Dain in the other deck.

Edit: Just to be clear, I really do like Baracchi's contribution to the game. Great stuff!

#20 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

benhanses said:

richsabre said:

Bullroarer Took said:

I thought they said that FaS is coming out this week?  Or did I misunderstand the question?

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3437

You did not misunderstand the question, I missed where they said it was coming out next (this) week.  And since I nearly always get it Thursday of release week I will be playing by the weekend.  Thanks.

"I will not be released in the second quarter!" - Nalir the Dwarf

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS