High Rarity weapons and Power Fields

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

There comes a point where there's weapons rarer and weaker than a regular power-weapon, yet apparently just as vulnerable as normal primitives.

Is there a point to having so many inferior yet rarer options? Does anybody take extremely rare things that lack a power-field, knowing they're one power-dagger parry from having to shell out for new ones? You can always decide to try and dodge on your end, but what about quickdraw-capable melee duelists, or weapons you had no way of knowing would destroy it? Any experiences in the matter?

Looking at it, all I can think is that they're meant to stick at least a minor minimal daemon in there, like a small-puppy of Khorne, before you ever use them.

#2 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

Universum is cruel in the 40k. If your GM/ you as a GM are going to implement this, then this is just. Although power weapons tend to be generally hard to come by.

This is why you play black crusade and LET THE GALAXY BUUUURNNN!!!!!

#3 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

Just because a weapon is rarer, doesn't mean it's better. Some weapons are presented as curiosities of the Screaming Vortex, or so you can give your NPCs more interesting, context-appropriate gear.

40k galaxy is chock-full of weird weapons. One planet, the savage inhabitants see their obsidian knives as the pinnacle of martial technology. Other planet, rural townsfolk all wield Necrodermis swords without even realizing it (I loved that idea in Nightbringer). Having stats for all kinds of unusual weapons, from awesome to conditionally useful to downright shitty, makes the setting more engaging.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#4 Seeten

Seeten

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

Maybe its so rare precisely because its so awful?

After manufacture, they realized how awful they were and didn't make more.

#5 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:59 AM

That makes sense for a number of weapons, but there's too many for it to be just that. Especially when looking at things obviously made for dueling [balanced weapons for example].

Power weapons are very or extremely rare, but there's plenty of things out there more difficult to obtain.

One planet, the savage inhabitants see their obsidian knives as the pinnacle of martial technology

To be fair, other than its resilience, obsidian has some bloody insane edges. At the very least it makes wonderful scalpel blades.

Still I'm surprised we've not seen a repeat of the old forge-world lathe-blade upgrade, or other protective coatings. Or even a power-field generator addition like Zappy Gubbinz, though it would have to be an on-creation only deal of course.

#6 Amaimon

Amaimon

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

I remember a sad moment when a Harlequin with Harlequins Kiss attacked us, and someone parried with power sword. Harlequin was left with shuriken pistol which is so weak, he couldn't even harm most of us. 

#7 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

Kiton said:

That makes sense for a number of weapons, but there's too many for it to be just that. Especially when looking at things obviously made for dueling [balanced weapons for example].

Power weapons are very or extremely rare, but there's plenty of things out there more difficult to obtain.

What's harder to obtain: an AK-47 assault rifle or a genuine Edo-period samurai sword?

Which is a better weapon?

Some things are hard to obtain because they're so good, only select artificers in the galaxy can make them.

Other things are hard to obtain because they're obscure, either produced only in specific places or not produced at all anymore.

Availability is just that, how hard it is to get your hands on something. For standardized, mass-produced goods it goes hand in hand with quality and usefulness, like Sword < Mono Sword < Chainsword < Power Sword. For exotic goods, there is no such relation.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#8 Cifer

Cifer

• Members
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

@Kiton

I can think of only very few situations where you don't immediately notice enemies who use power weapons - and apart from rather unique circumstances, I can't think of any other weapons that will regularly destroy your weaponry.

So… just get a power blade as backup when you think your beloved Vera might be in danger.

#9 Chastity

Chastity

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

Amaimon said:

I remember a sad moment when a Harlequin with Harlequins Kiss attacked us, and someone parried with power sword. Harlequin was left with shuriken pistol which is so weak, he couldn't even harm most of us. 

Something seems really weird about that - surely a Harlequin's Kiss shouldn't be parryable, it's a long thin monofilament wire in a launcher attached to the forearm.

#10 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:32 PM

Chastity said:

Amaimon said:

Something seems really weird about that - surely a Harlequin's Kiss shouldn't be parryable, it's a long thin monofilament wire in a launcher attached to the forearm.

I'd think not the wire itself, but the attacking hand with the gizmo attached to it is parryable.

#11 Chastity

Chastity

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

PnPgamer said:

I'd think not the wire itself, but the attacking hand with the gizmo attached to it is parryable.

That makes a degree of sense, but then it seems odd that you'd destroy the Kiss but not the arm it's attached to. Maybe the power field overloads it or something.

#12 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

What is also odd that you don't tear the limb off in case of any natural attacks.

#13 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

That used to drive me nuts in the Star Wars games. Sure, parrying I can understand: You block or grab the opponent's handle, arms or whatever, not the blade. But when *you* parry a fist or headbutt, and nothing at all happens to them?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS