Favorite Alt. Ranks?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

I really love the Alternate Ranks system in Dark Heresy, with a special place in my heart for Rank 0 alternatives. What are all of your favorites?

The Cyber-Mastiff Handler (Tech-Priest, Book of Judgment) is my favorite, though the Verispex Adept is also pretty amazing. Something that completely changes your style of play and adds a fun level of character complexity. The Maletek Stalker is also super cool; nothing quite like a heretical tech-assassin powered by a Warp reactor.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#2 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

I’m partial to the Sister Hospitaller and the Ordo Sicarius operative, but the one I like the most we’ll have to wait a few weeks before I’m allowed to talk about it.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#3 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

Warden of the Divisio Immoralis (IH) has some great options

Metallican Gunslinger is a cool one as well for pistol folks

Mortiurge always sounded cool, but taking it in place of Arbitrator (or higher) seems a bit pointless

#4 IdOfEntity

IdOfEntity

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:25 AM

Cymbel mentioned it.  Mortiurge.

Makes me feel like Dirty Harry.

#5 Erborn

Erborn

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:44 AM

Demagogue and Malefic Scholar, applied to a cleric (works best combined with a Heretical Sect background). Doesn't makes you an outright heretic, but allows a great deal of 'creative' approach to any problem

#6 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:34 AM

I love the fluff of the Mechanicus Secutor, though it's advances are kinda silly.

The Mech-Assassin from the Lathe Worlds teaser looks damn nice, too. What can I say, I'm a sucker for all things related to Mechanicum.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#7 Bassemandrh

Bassemandrh

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

The Cult Stalker, i think its called, from Daemon Hunters. I love the idea of infiltrators, and this guy is amazing at it.

#8 Amaimon

Amaimon

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

Templar Calixis - cheap WS for battle psyker. Also Secutor, Metallican Gunslinger, Penal Legionnaire and Malefic Scholar. 

#9 Jeff Tibbetts

Jeff Tibbetts

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'm biased, but I absolutely love the Transubstantial Initiate as a Rank 1 alt. It completely changes the way the character plays, and gives them an early boost to psychic abilities. There are really no drawbacks or things you miss out on at all. It's awesome. 

#10 Luthor Harkon

Luthor Harkon

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

I really liked the Metallican Gunslinger, but as I am doomed to be a Gamemaster for the rest of my life, I won't ever play one…

In my group I have a Mortiurge of the Divisio Immoralis (Warden instead of Regulator and Mortiurge instead of Intelligencer), a Telepath Psyker as Legate Investigator (rank 4) and Agent of Reliquary 26 (rank 6), a Techsorcist (on Magos Errant path) a pure Assassin and a Guardsman that thought about Feral Warrior and Malfian Bloodsworn and hoped for viable alternative ranks in Only War as a supplement for DH…

#11 Saldre

Saldre

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

The Heretek from Radical's hand-book is my personal favorite, followed by the Maltek Stalker. 

I mostly have Luthor's problem, so I won't ever get a chance to play either- then again, I can always throw them VS the players :P 

The Heretek is great seeing as he has that Scarecrow vibe- an original way you can keep the Tech-priest viable in a fight without going Secutor :P 

#12 Skeletor

Skeletor

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

Sister Oblatia, all the fun of a repentia but with 100% less purity seals on your tongue and 100% more hair on your head.

There's just something evocative in the thought of taking on the sins of others to repent for (especially when it goes to like, planetary size sin) and being this lone warrior outside your cult actively honored and mourned, because your path ultimately will lead to your death.

#13 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

I mostly prefer the alt ranks that represent broad archetypes, like Penal Legionarre or Hive Ganger, rather than narrowly specific options. I was really hoping that Only War- back when that was supposed to be a DH supplement- was going to include a 'scout' option for Guardsmen that gave them some stealth skills at low levels, but alas…

#14 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

Reaper

Sin Eater

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#15 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

Oh yeah, Templar Calix, Penal Legionarre and the Reaper (but is more a continuation of Moritat tbh)

Where is the Transubstantial Initiate?

Also. Verminspeaker is a neat way to do a "warg" psyker

#16 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Cymbel said:

Oh yeah, Templar Calix, Penal Legionarre and the Reaper (but is more a continuation of Moritat tbh)

Also. Verminspeaker is a neat way to do a "warg" psyker

It's in Rogue Trader: Into the Storm.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#17 Nearyn

Nearyn

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

I'd have to say my favourite is the Saboteur from Salvation Demands Sacrifice. It remains equally useful to the character, whether one goes Charlatan or Gang Lord. It helps having been a sucker for the scum career from day 1 :)

Other than that, I'd have to say Verispex and Malifixer. Verispex because it simply oozes AWESOME from every orifice, and Malifixer because… really? How can you not love a career that gets Talented(Blather)?

-Nearyn

#18 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:38 AM

All of them. I love especialy those with some unique talent or rule, my top 3 are probably Mortiurge, Sin Eater and Magistrate (c´mon, real lawyer! Innocence proves nothing!) 

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#19 Jeff Tibbetts

Jeff Tibbetts

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

Cymbel said:

Yeah, as Cymbel pointed out it's one of the basics from ItS. Sorry, I should have mentioned that was cross-game. I honestly forget sometimes since I've played both for ages. 

#20 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

No worries, some RT stuff (specially the equipment upgrades/add-ons, primitive simple weapons (like the combat shield) and the cheaper ammo) just gets BEGGED to be used in DH.

I mean, who doesn't want non primitive plate armor and a mighty hammer?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS