Photo

Does a planet with a revealed "Hostile Locals" domain counter count as "uncontrolled"?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AsthmaticTurtle

AsthmaticTurtle

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

For the purposes of game effects? Example: the Arborec's Bioplasmosis reads as follows:

"At the beginning of the Strategy Phase, you may move 1 Ground Force from a planet you control to a friendly or uncontrolled planet in an adjacent system.

(Discard any Domain Counters on the planet)."

Now I understand the obvious exception above, but does that only apply to unrevealed Domain Counters? Once a Hostile Locals counter has been revealed does the planet then count as "controlled"?

Also, are you able to do the same but to an uncontrolled planet in a system you currently occupy? Meaning, if there are two planets in a system, and you successfully occupied one of the two planets, can you use Bioplasmosis' effect on the other planet?

Thanks and sorry if this has been addressed before, I couldn't find anything about it.

#2 Kerrin2

Kerrin2

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

I think the planet is uncontrolled since no player has units or their control marker on the planet, and thus no player is in possession of the planet's card.

#3 Treguard

Treguard

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

Yeah, the hostile locals would be plant food.

"Damn nature! You scary!"

#4 AsthmaticTurtle

AsthmaticTurtle

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:50 AM

Excellent, that's what I figured.

Also, how about Winnarian Custodians? I would imagine then it does count as being controlled since they're not technically Domain Counters. And Mecatol Rex usually has exceptions to other rules surrounding it (no pun intended…that was a stretch).

#5 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:22 AM

In general, a planet is considered uncontrolled if no player has the corresponding planet card in front of them. Mecatol Rex is, as almost always, exempt from this generalization.

Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum

#6 Kerrin2

Kerrin2

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:40 AM

Yeah, I think the Custodians effectively "control" Mecatol Rex at the beginning of the game if you're playing with them in the game. I look at it as a sort of "scenario rule" that overrides the usual rules. In this case, the rule about what counts as a controlled planet. While the Custodians option section of the rule book doesn't explicitly state this, it seems reasonable.

#7 Treguard

Treguard

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:56 AM

Would it slow down play to go for a cautious yet effective "Scan n Grab" early game? Essentially scan every near planet and just grow on the bad planets (to ignore the penalties/combat) whilst settling the nice ones like normal?

#8 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

It would definitley be a slow but effective way to spread.

Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS