• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

Got you excited for a minute there didn't I?  The above picture is a complete falsification to emphasize the need for an Elf product!  >:)

Meanwhile..the point of my post is actually a rules question:  

Valour of Ages is an ability in the Creature Guide for converting basic NPCs into High Elf basic NPCs.  IT indicates "when facing their fallen kin the Dark Elves, High Elf NPCs gain 2 white dice to disclpline and Resilience checks.

I'm thinking of adding it as a standard PC ability. Any thoughts on game breakage?

jh

#2 ragnar63

ragnar63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:13 AM

Its probably fine, Jay, because although a powerful bonus it will be rarely used in the Old World. It would only cause problems if you were GMing a High Elf campaign about an attack on or by Naggaroth. Otherwise, Witchs Song excepted, Druchii are notable by their relative absence in the Old World. They make the High Elves presence look like a horde in the Old World. An argument could also be made that this 'advantage' is largely useless in campaigns set in the Old World, unless your party spends its time camped out on the coast of Nordland waiting for a Black Ark to come calling. Far more important I think would the differences between the various provinces of Ulthuan, which are pretty major I think.

Unfortunately I think you will have to produce a High Elf supplement yourself, as I don't think FFG could do the High Elves justice in their usual size of supplement, even assuming that they have plans to do one.

#3 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

I think it's fine. The bonus is only to Resilience and Discipline tests, and only when it is involving Dark Elves, so that is hardly game breaking IMO.  Even in an adventure/campaign revolving around HE vs DE I think it's fine. It makes it difficult for Dark Elves to lie to High Elves, etc. There are only a few combat actions that use vs Resilience or vs Discipline, and Combat will be where the most potential for game balance issues to occur.

I have to disagree. I think FFG will produce a High Elf supplement. Saying they cannot because it won't "do them justice" is like saying they they could not make a dwarf supplement … yet they did.

Yes, it probably won't necessarily be as detailed as some people would like.  I think the real difficulty in an Elf supplement is deciding how to handle High Elf Magic.

#4 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

The question is then, would a detail-less product, with a divided attempt at high and wood versions, 6-8 new careers, 1-2 pages on epic/high magic, ", with token mention of the Druchii, and no map for either Ulthuan, Athel Loren and the Great Forests of Empire, be better than no product at all?  I'm of the camp, that we'd get a weak product that would be empty on useful details and padded with a couple sheets of cardstock counters.  Not to short FFG for their business and design decisions, but I'm not hopeful that anything is being produced, much less than it would be a stellar work of GM and player useful bit of gaming literature. (I"m wrong..I can just feel it in my bones. How's that for a schitzo' attitude on the subject?)

In the meantime, you have the 2e Fan supplement on Wood Elves (excellent) and Yepsnopes Careers put forth for the High Elves (well done), and the near-useless fantasy battles books (meh…)

A proper WFRP3 elf product would be a large boxed set that would be LOADED with juicy, tidbit-laden fluff, by authors who are BOTH experts in the subject matter (FIRST..and needed!), but also able to translate that into useful material.

jh

#5 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

yes a proper box, like the dwarf box, would cover it all.

It would cover the history and the division, thus the shared and then unique histories of each branch of the race (with the druchii + athel loren critters + some dragons maybe being the bestiary bit).  As rune magic was in the dwarf box, so too would wood elf magic be covered.  I can see "high elf magic" being tough since it's so conflated with "high power magic".  There's a big difference between what Teclis could do and what just any High Tower mage starting out should expect to accomplish.

They can then flesh out some basics with POD's.

#6 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Sadly, this wouldn't work as a POD.

jh

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS