Jump to content



Photo

Custom Chapter - Relics & Advanced Specialisation


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Prophetmurphy

Prophetmurphy

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:24 AM

 I have created my own Chapter for use in Deathwatch but I can't help but feel disadvantaged when I look at all the awesome things the other chapters have access to. 

I need to come up with an interesting relic and advances specialisation to give me something to work towards.

The chapter (called star sons) value balance in combat and in character and ensuring that a hit lands. I would prefer a melee weapon or a pistol but anything that is interesting or cool would be great! :) My GM values plausibility so anything that doesn't make sense he won't allow.

For an advanced specialisation I think I would like something that would allow my assault marine to advance into a more shooty area as well but again anything cool will do :)

I appreciate any help you may give no matter how small or large :)

Thanks 



#2 Saibot

Saibot

    Member

  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

For relics an easy solution might be to pick a relic of a Chapter that is not in the Kill-Team, change its name, come up with a new background and use its stats.



#3 Prophetmurphy

Prophetmurphy

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

 Because I am not pressed for time (Not anywhere near the Renown needed for a relic) I was hoping to create something unique for my chapter rather than just re-skin an existing relic. 

 

Also I forgot to mention that my Chapter Trapping is a Falcata (A single edges blade that pitches forward to the point, the edge is concave near the hilt and convex near the tip) which I also have no stats for yet and am totally open to any suggestions. I was thinking a relic could be an awesome one or something like that.

 

I was thinking of having the Falcata as something I improve through spending my XP to give it qualities and stuff like that.

Thanks for the help :)



#4 professor_kylan

professor_kylan

    Member

  • Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

Ember

Star Sons relic

30 Requisition

Renown 60

 

This ancient falcata is one of the few remaining examples of its type, and its inclusion in the armouries of the Deathwatch has been a sticking point for the Star Sons chapter for the last century. During the founding of the chapter, one hundred of these blades were forged - one for each of the veterans who were advancing to the first company from their previous colours. Each blade was decorated with a single emblem in a forgotten tongue which seemed to shimmer down the length of the weapon as it was brought to a perfect, killing strike. When the chapter was founded, and all hundred blades were in the hands of finely trained warriors, a training routine would send these emblems flashing through the sky like comets and the fury of the heavens, and those learned in the tongue would see each blade rise and fall in turn, adding their word to a passage from the Codex Astartes that spoke of launching a perfect blow. This passage was well known amongst the Astartes and even non-astartes praised it for its poetical beauty.

 Sadly, as the veterans of the first company started to fall, one by one through the years, so too did some of these miraculous blades fall. The records of the Chapter proudly state that before even a single blade was broken, before one falcata was lost, each slew one hundred hundred foes. All but one.

 The falcata marked with the emblem 'Ember' was lost in the service of the Deathwatch in the middle of 300.M38. Whilst the circumstances surrounding the lost relic are unknown, legend tells that the brother who bore it failed his chapter and his oath and was somehow tainted. The only records the Deathwatch keep of the event is a cryptic message - "Dyrath left us, and now we are lost." No Deathwatch watchhouse bears records of an astartes named Dyrath, some speculate on purpose. While the Star Sons have often demanded the blades return, the Deathwatch have consistantly refused - the tradition of the blade demanding reperation, although for what nobody seems entirely certain.

 For those that wield Ember, the experience is unsettling. The weight of the weapon seems to shift and move in an unnatural fashion. The infamous Master of the Forge Taket Huraman confirmed in his codex "The Devices of Wrath" that the blade contained a powerful set of suspensors, designed to shift the weight almost unpredictably as the weapon is being used in combat. Those that master the blade, however, claim that it is a miracle of craftsmanship, and the shifting weight allows for changes of direction and style that no other blade could match. Those that master the passage that the blade ws built around, that truly grasp the subtelties written in by the First Lord of Maccrage, can wield it with incredible potency, changing combat styles at the blink of an eye.

 

 Ember may be used as a power sword or a power axe, chosen before the character takes their first action (including reactions) of the turn. As a free action, a character may made a Hard (-30) Scholastic Lore: Codex Astartes to change the aspect of Ember from power sword to power axe.

 A character who has trained Scholastic Lore: Codex Astartes to +20 and bought the talent Talented (Scholastic Lore: Codex Astartes) may use Ember double handed with the same weapon profile as a Power Fist. A master of the art, and a true son of the chapter, may be able to develop alternate fighting styles with Ember. The Chapter Master of the Star Sons is known to use his falcata Falling with styles commonly attributed to blades, axes, the immense thunder hammers of the Terminators and even - according to the techmarines that deal with such weapons - a stabbing blow that causes wounds similar to the Breacher implants often found on mining servitors.



#5 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

Prophetmurphy said:

 I have created my own Chapter for use in Deathwatch but I can't help but feel disadvantaged when I look at all the awesome things the other chapters have access to. 

I need to come up with an interesting relic and advances specialisation to give me something to work towards.

The chapter (called star sons) value balance in combat and in character and ensuring that a hit lands. I would prefer a melee weapon or a pistol but anything that is interesting or cool would be great! :) My GM values plausibility so anything that doesn't make sense he won't allow.

For an advanced specialisation I think I would like something that would allow my assault marine to advance into a more shooty area as well but again anything cool will do :)

I appreciate any help you may give no matter how small or large :)

Thanks 

 

I think that you should look at your Chapter, how you've writen them and imagine them and work from there. Don't get hung up on the mechanics from the start but work out something that looks great according to the fluff and then work out the mechanics for how to make them come about as you envision them.



#6 Prophetmurphy

Prophetmurphy

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:42 AM

professor_kylan said:

Ember

Star Sons relic

30 Requisition

Renown 60

 

This ancient falcata is one of the few remaining examples of its type, and its inclusion in the armouries of the Deathwatch has been a sticking point for the Star Sons chapter for the last century. During the founding of the chapter, one hundred of these blades were forged - one for each of the veterans who were advancing to the first company from their previous colours. Each blade was decorated with a single emblem in a forgotten tongue which seemed to shimmer down the length of the weapon as it was brought to a perfect, killing strike. When the chapter was founded, and all hundred blades were in the hands of finely trained warriors, a training routine would send these emblems flashing through the sky like comets and the fury of the heavens, and those learned in the tongue would see each blade rise and fall in turn, adding their word to a passage from the Codex Astartes that spoke of launching a perfect blow. This passage was well known amongst the Astartes and even non-astartes praised it for its poetical beauty.

 Sadly, as the veterans of the first company started to fall, one by one through the years, so too did some of these miraculous blades fall. The records of the Chapter proudly state that before even a single blade was broken, before one falcata was lost, each slew one hundred hundred foes. All but one.

 The falcata marked with the emblem 'Ember' was lost in the service of the Deathwatch in the middle of 300.M38. Whilst the circumstances surrounding the lost relic are unknown, legend tells that the brother who bore it failed his chapter and his oath and was somehow tainted. The only records the Deathwatch keep of the event is a cryptic message - "Dyrath left us, and now we are lost." No Deathwatch watchhouse bears records of an astartes named Dyrath, some speculate on purpose. While the Star Sons have often demanded the blades return, the Deathwatch have consistantly refused - the tradition of the blade demanding reperation, although for what nobody seems entirely certain.

 For those that wield Ember, the experience is unsettling. The weight of the weapon seems to shift and move in an unnatural fashion. The infamous Master of the Forge Taket Huraman confirmed in his codex "The Devices of Wrath" that the blade contained a powerful set of suspensors, designed to shift the weight almost unpredictably as the weapon is being used in combat. Those that master the blade, however, claim that it is a miracle of craftsmanship, and the shifting weight allows for changes of direction and style that no other blade could match. Those that master the passage that the blade ws built around, that truly grasp the subtelties written in by the First Lord of Maccrage, can wield it with incredible potency, changing combat styles at the blink of an eye.

 

 Ember may be used as a power sword or a power axe, chosen before the character takes their first action (including reactions) of the turn. As a free action, a character may made a Hard (-30) Scholastic Lore: Codex Astartes to change the aspect of Ember from power sword to power axe.

 A character who has trained Scholastic Lore: Codex Astartes to +20 and bought the talent Talented (Scholastic Lore: Codex Astartes) may use Ember double handed with the same weapon profile as a Power Fist. A master of the art, and a true son of the chapter, may be able to develop alternate fighting styles with Ember. The Chapter Master of the Star Sons is known to use his falcata Falling with styles commonly attributed to blades, axes, the immense thunder hammers of the Terminators and even - according to the techmarines that deal with such weapons - a stabbing blow that causes wounds similar to the Breacher implants often found on mining servitors.

You, sir, are awesome! I wasn't expecting something so whole. You are a boss.

 



#7 Prophetmurphy

Prophetmurphy

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:44 AM

Gurkhal said:

Prophetmurphy said:

 

 I have created my own Chapter for use in Deathwatch but I can't help but feel disadvantaged when I look at all the awesome things the other chapters have access to. 

I need to come up with an interesting relic and advances specialisation to give me something to work towards.

The chapter (called star sons) value balance in combat and in character and ensuring that a hit lands. I would prefer a melee weapon or a pistol but anything that is interesting or cool would be great! :) My GM values plausibility so anything that doesn't make sense he won't allow.

For an advanced specialisation I think I would like something that would allow my assault marine to advance into a more shooty area as well but again anything cool will do :)

I appreciate any help you may give no matter how small or large :)

Thanks 

 

 

 

I think that you should look at your Chapter, how you've writen them and imagine them and work from there. Don't get hung up on the mechanics from the start but work out something that looks great according to the fluff and then work out the mechanics for how to make them come about as you envision them.

 

I have been trying and my GM has been really helpful but I'm finding it quite hard to think of something that is unique, interesting and makes sense I have a while before I can even get any relics anyway so ill pay around and take suggestions from here and see what works and is cool :)



#8 professor_kylan

professor_kylan

    Member

  • Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

Prophetmurphy said:

You, sir, are awesome! I wasn't expecting something so whole. You are a boss.

 

 

 It's what I do. Thanks :D






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS