Favorite Starfight

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

These forms could use something more interesting to talk about, so I ask this question:  What is you favorite starfighter from the Star Wars Universe? And Why?

Fore me it has to be the x-wing.  It is just an instictual thing,  

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#2 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

The Y-wing. I fully admit, it's probably a color bias, my favorite color being orange, and Gold Squadron was painted yellow, which is close enough. But I also like the idea of being a "tank." I tend to gravitate towards high-hp characters in games, and the Y-wing fits right in. Also, I think I feel a certain affinity with the Y-wing because anything it can do, another ship can do better. I feel that way sometimes. In the various video games, I tend to do better as a Y-wing because I stay alive long enough to get more kills, whereas I don't last very long in A-wings and X-wings.

The ion cannons are another plus, even though there's nothing canon about the ion cannon. Well, there is, but what I mean to say is that there were no starfighter ion cannons in the movies. Still, the ability to disable a ship is pretty useful, and it lets a Y-wing pilot be an award-winning pilot without being a cold-blooded killer. Of course, then the Y-wing turns around and bombs things to Mustafar, pretty much negating the lives it saves with an ion cannon. Oh well.

I admit that the B-wing has pretty much improved upon the Y-wing in every way, but there's just something about the shape of the Y-wing I like better. You'd think that with me being a bounty hunter fan, I'd prefer the B-wing since it resembles the Slave I, but it just doesn't do it for me. The Y-wing is totally where it's at.

Great, now I think I just talked myself into increasing my preorder from 1 to 3 Y-wings! [Not really, but just about.]

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#3 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

Budgernaut said:

Great, now I think I just talked myself into increasing my preorder from 1 to 3 Y-wings! [Not really, but just about.]

heh, my preorder is already for two.  Probably should have gone for a whole squad, but we'll have to see how the points work out.  I'm sure that my preorders will not be the last I order of the originals.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#4 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:12 AM

The basic TIE. It's just so absolutely original, and yet its design isn't so out-of-this-world that it becomes silly. Absolutely original, but absolutely real, and absolutely right. (cue TIE fighter sound effect! )

#5 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:18 AM

I. J. Thompson said:

The basic TIE. It's just so absolutely original, and yet its design isn't so out-of-this-world that it becomes silly. Absolutely original, but absolutely real, and absolutely right. (cue TIE fighter sound effect! )

I concur.  Personally, I'm torn between the original Tie and the Interceptor because it is so damn cool too.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#6 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

I'd have to go with the Interceptor as well, TIE awesomeness with the look of added lethality.

#7 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

I like the ol' slab-sided TIE fighter.

#8 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Budgernaut said:

Of course, then the Y-wing turns around and bombs things to Mustafar, pretty much negating the lives it saves with an ion cannon. Oh well.

LOL!

I have to say that judging form the answers given thus far FFG made a perfect choice by starting out with the original trilogy ships.

My favorite is the X-wing. I don't know why, but I used to hate it just because everybody else liked it. Then I realized that it's just an all around good fighter.  It has 4 laser cannons that can be cycled, double-linked or quad-linked (love the options there). It has proton torpedoes, which themselves are versatile weapons, being effective at destroying both fighters and larger craft. It has shields and a hyper drive, making it versatile in the kinds of missions it can undertake. That's why it's called a "space superiority fighter."

And last but not least, the S-foil action is pretty cool looking (along with the rest of the ship).

P.S. It also has cargo capacity so it can be utilized as a personal transport, and is not dependent on a carrier ship. If I could pick any fighter to be mine in real life, this would be it!

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#9 lkb57

lkb57

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

A-wing or Tie Interceptor . . . I always thought they were perfectly matched to duke it out

#10 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

TIE Interceptor. I love their wing shape. Still as iconic as the TIE Fighter, but more menacing, and more practical (because the pilot doesn't have such a huge dead angle left and right).

#11 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:45 AM

As a Tie pilot it has to be the interceptor, it was always much cooler than the advanced or the defender.

As far as the rebel alliance goes ive been a massive fan of the B wing for a long time, although for flying I always prefered the X wing finding the other allaicne ships to be very lacking in certain areas whereas the x wing is a great jack of all trades fighter.

#12 Galak Fyyar

Galak Fyyar

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

TIE Advanced (a.k.a. TIE Avanger)

and TIE Defender

#13 vadersson

vadersson

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:03 AM

Hmm, so many choices.

For the Rebellion era I would say the Y-Wing.  I love the sturdyness and multi-purpose of the ship.  Ion Cannons, big warhead bay, tough as nails.  Plus it seats two and uses a turret.  Oh yeah, and I was was Gold 109 in the old Decipher Star Wars CCG Squadron program.  That made me really happy.  (Empire side I would say TIE/ln are cool.)

Prequals era I would say the Droid Tri-Fighters were rocking.  The old armored Y-wings were cool too (obviously).

In the Old Republic times, I really like he Aurek fighter.  They are pretty sweet.

There are so many other things for them to make for this game.  I can't wait for more expansions.

Thanks,

Duncan

Gold 109 (ret.)

Wesa need Gungans!

#14 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

What is this "prequels" you are speaking of? There weren't more than three movies.

And then suddenly, there was a lift of the "no extended universe before A New Hope" ban, for no reason whatsoever…

#15 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

For the prequels, I like the Aethersprite (film version w/ offset droid), and for the EU I like the Sith Interceptor from the KotOR games. Both get nudged out by the good ol' TIE fighter, though.

#16 Darthvegeta800

Darthvegeta800

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

Tie Advanced X1… Vader's fighter. Ever since I was a toddler, Vader was my favourite fictional character.
Naturally i'm inclined to opt for his.
Besides that I like the classic Imperial triumvirate: Tie Fighter - Tie Bomber - Tie Interceptor.

#17 sir.galahad

sir.galahad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

I am certainly torn between the X-WING and TIE FIGHTER!  They are both so original and cool! George Lucas is my hero! What a childhood that has carried into adulthood……..kind of.

Signed,

"Big Kid at Heart"

#18 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

Since both the Aurek fighter and the Sith Interceptor were mentioned, I can't help but brag about the miniature LEGO models I built of those two craft. Enjoy!

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#19 vadersson

vadersson

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

Parakitor said:

Since both the Aurek fighter and the Sith Interceptor were mentioned, I can't help but brag about the miniature LEGO models I built of those two craft. Enjoy!

Nice!  I really like the Aurek.

Gold 109 (ret.)

Wesa need Gungans!

#20 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

Ever since I saw Star Wars as a boy, the X-Wing has been my sci-fi figher of choice.  I remember pretending I was flying and X-Wing all summer - I even converted a refrigerator box into an X-Wing cockpit.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS