My First Game

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mijofo71

mijofo71

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

Hi all, recently purchased the core game not so long back and last night played a 4 player game.

Blinking heck what a rush, really went down a treat with us, we played with TIGH, TYROL, STARBUCK and ROSLIN.

The first turn we got swamped by an assault, thank goodness we had a pilot, who kept playing Massive Firepower and getting X0'd for a few turns, the jump track seemed like it was taking forever to shift :(

However, when a couple of Crisis cards had been dealt we found out they where being spiked it wasn't till after the game that it was done by accident by Tigh and Starbuck, they had misunderstood  the colours required, so after a few moments of calm I accused Starbuck of being a Cylon ( she wasnt ) it was only after the sleeper phase that the real Cylon revealed himself as Tyrol and luckily enough I pardoned Starbuck, our resources where at a critical level and we jumped and ran out of fuel.

We are playing again this Sunday in a 5 player game, I didn't use the Sympathizer card on this 1st game.

I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind :)

1) Heavy Raider moves into the launch viper sector this turn does it automatically crash into the Battlestar, or do you have to wait till another activation phase ?

2) To use a nuke do you have to be in the Weapons Control or be anywhere onboard Galactica ?

#2 Assussanni

Assussanni

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hi Mijofo,

Glad you enjoyed your first game and questions are always welcome, it's part of what these forums are for.

1) Heavy raiders have to wait until their next activation phase before boarding Galactica. pg 24: "If a heavy raider starts its movement in a space with a viper launch icon, the centurions on it board Galactica." (emphasis mine)

2) I do not believe you have to be in weapons control to use a nuke because the action is granted by the Admiral card, not a location. You could even be on Colonial One and use it.

I hope you have as much fun with your second game as you had with your first!

#3 mijofo71

mijofo71

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

The second game was even more EPIC than the first, we had 4 players again :(

Without Sympathizer card again :)

We played BALTAR (Cylon )me, BOOMER, HELO and TYROL.

Again from the get go we got swamped by an attack ( must shuffle the deck better ) took some hits on civvies and food, the pilots didn't get out quickly enough to stop the raiders blowing ships up, we used our two nukes in the first few turns and eventually managed to jump. It was looking grim.

Accusations of me being a Cylon where made but nothing was done about it as yet, some time later when the FOOD and MORALE  where in the red I decided to reveal myself ( don't see why they didn't brig me ???? ). Maybe should have waited a bit longer perhaps before revealing ????

It was getting desperate, the President/Admiral was getting XO'd to draw Quorum cards to try and get some Morale back, the only resource not really suffering was Fuel. I played my Super Crisis Card CYLON INTRUDERS eventually had 3 Centurions on the boarding track, Boomer was using her ability to look at the Crisis deck and get rid of the nasty surprises, I was staying on New Caprica and choosing the Crisis Card, the proverbial was certainly hitting the fan at this stage.

They had made it to 8 distance and the Resources where all below 4, just one more jump they had dealt with the Centurions and needed 4 spaces on the jump track to move, Crisis cards where being passed by small margins, for some reason the least likely ones needing to pass where being drawn and in my hand I had those, so couldn't do a lot. It was nail biting stuff they made a forced jump with -1 pop and won the game. The Resources at end of play where FUEL 2 FOOD 1 MORALE 2 POPULATION 1 .

What can I, say second game and its that good credit to the game designer think we wont be putting this game away for awhile. ( sod the Olympics or TV this is more fun )

#4 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Exciting to read that post.  I loved my early games, and I love tight games.

Are you just doing without the sympathizer card (cause it is sort of lame/confusing) or are you doing an alternate (like lower resources at start of game).

If you play 4 player a lot, you may find that any game were someone does NOT start with Cylon card - they are screwed after the reveal (not enough time beat down those pesky 3 humans). 

The moment you even think the game is getting stale…  get Pegasus.   The new characters alone add spice.   It will keep the momentum of the game.  Exodus is neat - makes Cylon playing even more fun - it has so much stuff that is "really new" to the game system it does have a steeper learning curve, compared to Pegasus.

For cylon - if you think its maybe time to reveal… reveal, I say.  You are probably sending off signal to others and you are passing up opportunities (and helping!) waiting for "the right moment."   Reveal from the brig is not the worst thing, if the damage you can do (outing yourself) is worth it. 

If there is an important task you can do and get XO'd to do… just don't do it.  Do something else (scout, move vipers away) and then reveal… and then your next turn is a cylon turn!  

#5 mijofo71

mijofo71

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

Am doing without the sympathizer card because I don't personally like it, I can get 5 or 6 players at the table just real life gets in the way with a couple of them whenever we want to play lol.

I have only had the game just over a week, so it wont get stale for a bit, but most likely get Pegasus for Christmas ( If I'm nice to the missus she can buy me it ).

I have seen the variant character cards and have downloaded Pegasus and Exodus rules along with Crossroads Razor Operahouse and the BSG Templates.

I think the core set has a  lot of playability for a while yet, I don't really care if we win or lose playing Human or Cylon as long as the game is exciting and down to the wire, is there a better way to spend an evening than fragging toasters. :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS