TI3 Tournaments?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hantei40

hantei40

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:35 PM

In scanning some other posts I noted a comment that there currently are no sanctioned tournaments for TI3?  Any ideas why that might be?  Between the forum here and the wiki, not to mention 10+ years of success, I'd think there's be at least a drive for it.

#2 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:44 AM

My main guess is that FFG, while a successful company, probably doesn't have the resources to commit to a full-fledged tournament scene.  Doing that would require getting judges (even if they are volunteer) who know what they are doing, making sure rules are being enforced correctly, and probably also some kind of tournament prize support.

I think FFG occasionally has tournaments at some of the big conventions like GenCon, though (although I've heard the judges for them can sometimes be questionable, in that I've heard stories where the judge didn't know the rules and made some very controversial and incorrect rulings which cost someone or another the game).

#3 blarknob

blarknob

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:17 AM

A Tournament scene would be awesome but would require a revised comperhensive rulebook.

I took part in the twilight tournament they FFG held at gencon last year I ended up in 4th place and my brother in third.  It was a lot of fun but you could tell they hadn't put any thought into it.  They didn't have enough copies of the game, we actually had to open two copies and they didn't have bags or anything so they just got thrown into a big pile in the box afterward(cringe), and they didn't have the expansion at all. The judges had the rules knowledge of a beginner and made very poor decisions.

I honestly hope the event improves this year. Even with its flaws it was still a lot of fun.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS