Slayer Limbs and melee

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

So, what happens to a basic or heavy that's suddenly stuck in melee?

The weapon is now part of you, to the point where even that plasma cannon is now a single arm.

So, if you get meleed, what then? I can imagine a heavy would still be to unwieldy to get a shot in at that range, but a basic? Or something with a melee attachment that required 2 hands before?

If there's really no details, I'd like to suggest the weapon counting as one category lighter [Heavy>>Basic>>Pistol] for purposes of wielding, or something of the sort.

#2 ShadowRay

ShadowRay

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

By RAW it only things that change is that it produces it's own ammunition and doesn't require maintenance (+aligtment bonuses). It also doesn't add it's weigh into your equipment anymore.
I really have no good answer to your question, just some moe questions for slayer limb (meaby someone will have some ideas)

- can it be upgraded with anthing (better craftmanship, mono, suspensors, sight)?
- will it be dostroyed by power weapon? (weapons are, but bionic arms are not)
- can it be replaced with bionic arm or will it grow back?
- what happens if it jams? if it's plasma, can it overload?
- can you feed it different types of ammo?
- if by some freak accident you get fused with a weapon you are not trained with, do you get -20 to hit?

When not an answer to a melee problem, basic ranged weapons could get same benefits as using pistol grip (with the same restrictions).

#3 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

ShadowRay said:

When not an answer to a melee problem, basic ranged weapons could get same benefits as using pistol grip (with the same restrictions).

I might be wrong, but I remember reading that you cannot use any special ammo with them. And common sense would say that it doesn't come back. Your only fused with you, not grant its essence as a regenerative trait.

#4 ShadowRay

ShadowRay

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

I though so about regrowing. The reward of khorne one cauld propably do this, but it's indestructible.

As for ammo, how about slayer grenade luncher then? There are some nice options to include alighments here (blight grenade for nurgle followers etc) but it may be unbalancing.

#5 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

Doesn't it at the very least no longer require both arms to fire anymore? as a PART of you the weight is probably also no longer an issue…

While the base may no longer involve ammo, what if it had the fire-selector upgrade?

actually, can you still upgrade and customize the thing?

It is an awesome, stylistic mutation, but a bit of detail would be good

#6 ShadowRay

ShadowRay

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Answering my own questions as I see them (somewhat):

All highly depends on how much it become the part of you? Does it bleed when you take a hit on it? Then it is very much part of you. It doesn't, your connection is weaker and damaging the weapon doesn't damage you.

- can it be upgraded with anthing (better craftmanship, mono, suspensors, sight)?
- bleeds - most upgrades are propably out, as you'd have to damage your own 'flesh' (but outside things such as sights and suspensors could still be applied).
- doesn't bleed - it's fully upgreadable (but how do you rule getting hit there and lusing wounds now)

- will it be dostroyed by power weapon? (weapons are, but bionic arms are not)
- bleeds - cannot
- doesn't bleed - can

Can be removed and replaced (you can remove your normal arm)

- what happens if it jams? if it's plasma, can it overload?
It jams, and then:
- bleeds - duplicate effect of technical knock as it is very much a part of you and if you can fire it by will, you can unjam it by will
- doesn't bleed - normal unjamming

overheating is tricky, but meaby something like this:
- bleeds - doesn't overheat, get fatigue instead
- doesn't - overheats, cannot drop weapon (clearly)

- bleeds - cannot
- fire selector - you can use type of ammo that were in the selector
- doesn't bleed - can
still no good idea about grenade luncher

- if by some freak accident you get fused with a weapon you are not trained with, do you get -20 to hit?
no

Any thoughs?

#7 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:02 AM

hm. I'd treat it as a Bionic, but also make bionics  [and any unarmed and natural weapons that aren't power-fielded or warp weapons] vulnerable to a Stormfield-style burn when parried. Same chance of rolling damage to that location as there is of 'destroy weapon'. The "bionic" new "limb" gives +2TB to its owner for this of course.

We can let using parry WITH them imply you're stopping them at the forearm, hand or handle of the weapon, but things get rather ridiculous when the guy with the giant glowing sword slams it down "defensively" on your tentacle and somehow nothing happens. Same wierdness occurs in Star Wars RPGs, when successfully blocking a headbutt with a lightsaber fails to so much as singe the one that tried it.

So here's how I'm thinking:

Weapon Rules: A Toughness Test [Challenging] is allowed to avoid Jams and Overheat when they occur. If successful, the weapon operates normally, avoiding the effect entirely [though most likely misses with such a roll]. They otherwise function normally. While less likely to occur, its still a chaos-affected weapon, and its stuck to you. Try not to explode your arm off.

Unnatural Limb: The melded limb is now a bionic [+2TB]. Hits applying to it treat it as either having the Natural Weapon [melee] or Machine [ranged] Traits for purposes of damage effects. Effects that damage or disable the forearm or hand affect the weapon arm in the same way: it requires healing or outright regrowth/regeneration/cloning/whatever to recover. This may be very difficult to obtain but the Dark Gods have seen fit to inscribe the weapon's compatibility in your genetic code. Just get yourself a new copy of the same weapon [model, pattern, quality], medicae will do the rest as you heal up.

Feed Upgrades: modifications to the weapon's firing such as Twin-Link, Storm, Single-Shot Downgrade, Belt-Feed, etc remain, but further such modifications cannot be applied to a Slayer Arm. A weapon with Fire-Selectors retains a single additional magazine slot, but may replenish it as a full action for one level of fatigue.

Handling Upgrades: Stock, Trigger and Grip upgrades are lost and may not be further installed. You no longer have a handle, and that unfortunately tends to diminish the movement range of the weapon. No chance of a Custom Grip

Barrel, sight and most miscellaneous upgrades can be installed normally, with the normal limits.

#8 Seeten

Seeten

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

I'm thinking it's probably going to be up to individual GM's to rule.

I'd guess a power weapon wont destroy your arm, (or weapon limb) but it might critical your limb…I'd probably rule anything like this has the Daemon quality and is thus immune to power fields.

I'd also rule being hit in the slayer limb would damage it, and if you go into the crit table on that limb, it'd be too injured to use until its healed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS