Netrunner Vs Star WArs

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 john_nld

john_nld

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

So this is the moment I guess to say that other games are taken with higher priority. Like netrunner.

Netrunner is also a very tight looking game. graphics and gameplay seem very good. the game is assymetrical.

wait what? Assymetrical that means that 1 player can do different things then the other player. hmmmm like the empire and the rebels right.

I think netrunner is cool the setting is cool etc. but I think netrunner will be used partly to explore asymetrical possibilities for Star wars. Which means it will take some time before starwars will really hit the shelves.

I even think Q1/Q2 2013 is about the release date for star wars. By then all interest will have faded for the game and even the people who do buy it are dissapointed by the gameplay because of the sheer anticipation for the game has made expectations way to high.

So people will just stop after the starter set.

So bottom line. Will I put my money on netrunner or SW

#2 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:51 AM

Netrunner does look interesting, but my money's with SW all the way (since I did preorder it). I know SW will keep my interest longer, from a thematic stand point. Hopefully the mechanics are good too.

But you bring up a good point. A lot of people who were interested in SW seem to be quite interested in Netrunner. I'm afraid that of all their LCGs, these two are going to have the most competition for the same players. Unless, of course, they decide to do co-op, in which case LotR will be the obvious competition. But even then, you have people who were interested in Star Wars that will drop it for Android: Netrunner.

It'll be interesting to see how these two most recent LCGs do. I think Star Wars' only hope is to make a game that's very appealing and accessible to non-gamers so they can increase the fan base for this game while more of the hard core gamers go with Netrunner. I wonder what that will mean for game design.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#3 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

This isn't even close. Netrunner is a nice property with a decent fanbase. But Star Wars is a much MUCH bigger property.

If Star Wars comes out and the game is fun with good potential, then there is no question it will be the bigger, more popular game.

As to which game you should get? Only you can answer that, good sir. I've been playing a few of the other LCGs and they are fun, but to be honest, they are just something to pass the time until the REAL one, Star Wars, finally releases.

I do like your assessment that they could be testing asymmetrical gameplay though. But I disagree that people will lose interest in Star Wars or only buy the core box. Trust me, Star Wars will have PLENTY of players.

MTFBWY.

#4 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

Well, that's a relief. I was concerned SW wouldn't go as long as I'd like. I hope you're right.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#5 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

Budgernaut said:

Well, that's a relief. I was concerned SW wouldn't go as long as I'd like. I hope you're right.

The biggest thing is just that the game system itself is fun. If it is, Star Wars will do the rest.

#6 Vase

Vase

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Mattr0polis said:

I do like your assessment that they could be testing asymmetrical gameplay though. But I disagree that people will lose interest in Star Wars or only buy the core box. Trust me, Star Wars will have PLENTY of players.

+1

#7 OpT1mUs

OpT1mUs

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Mattr0polis said:

This isn't even close. Netrunner is a nice property with a decent fanbase. But Star Wars is a much MUCH bigger property.

If Star Wars comes out and the game is fun with good potential, then there is no question it will be the bigger, more popular game.

As to which game you should get? Only you can answer that, good sir. I've been playing a few of the other LCGs and they are fun, but to be honest, they are just something to pass the time until the REAL one, Star Wars, finally releases.

MTFBWY.

hahahah

#8 Jonnyb815

Jonnyb815

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

It's star wars and both games are pretty cheap. I don't see why you can't play both. If you play LOTR or Game of thrones then odds are you like the big names so you will go with star wars. Net runner is smaller in size. Sorry star wars ccg was one of the biggest games before it was run over with a truck.

#9 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:29 AM

Why necro this thread….

#10 jeeps

jeeps

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

ScottieATF said:

Why necro this thread….

hahahah

sorry.  I agree.  What was the point of reviving this?

Peter Jacobson

Minnesota, USA

#11 Brownmantle

Brownmantle

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

jeeps said:

ScottieATF said:

Why necro this thread….

hahahah

sorry.  I agree.  What was the point of reviving this?

Well, as it is alove again, I would like to poll those who know, as it were. Is Star Wars more fun than Net Runner. I bought Star Wars just as it came off the boat but havn't played it yet. I was IN LOVE with the CCG and really felt the thematic juice as a well as the collecting bug with the Decipher game. But which one are you actually playing?! I am playing X-Wing more than the Card game, and I think alot of that has to do with the fact that there is not a division of Space and Land conflict in the Card game. But I digress, is Netrunner better?

But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.

#12 Whitefro

Whitefro

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Brownmantle said:

Well, as it is alove again, I would like to poll those who know, as it were. Is Star Wars more fun than Net Runner. I bought Star Wars just as it came off the boat but havn't played it yet. I was IN LOVE with the CCG and really felt the thematic juice as a well as the collecting bug with the Decipher game. But which one are you actually playing?! I am playing X-Wing more than the Card game, and I think alot of that has to do with the fact that there is not a division of Space and Land conflict in the Card game. But I digress, is Netrunner better?

I'm playing them both and I think they are both really good. I've always been a big fan of card games, and you always have to take it with a little bit of a grain of salt as far as "realism" is concerned. I enjoy the system for both games which is quite different as is the deck building which I also enjoy in both. To be fair though, I have become a bit of a ffg lcg fanatic so I might be a little bit biased. However, I do really enjoy star wars, netrunner, agot, and the very little bit of cthulhu that I've played. So in my opinion if you have the time, money, and interest to play any number of these games (or any games for that matter) variety is the spice of life I enjoy most.

#13 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

I like both games.

But it is hard to compare the two. They are both asymmetrical - to a point. The things the Dark Side does in the Star Wars game are very similar to the things the Light Side does. You both play units, you fight in combat, you play events, etc. 

In Netrunner, the Corporation not only takes different actions than the Runner, he has a different set of goals. He has several actions that only he can take (Pugring virus counters, advancing cards and giving the runner tags, just to name a few) and only the Corporation wants to "score" agendas while the Runner wants to "steal" them. It is MUCH MORE an asymmetrical game than SW:LCG. The two sides are very far apart in Netrunner.

Also, there is no real "combat" in Netrunner, only the Runner trying to take actions to break through the Corporations ICE, avoid damage, etc.

I like the cat-and-mouse game of Netrunner and how important bluffing is in that game. 

I also like the quick and deadly, rough and tumble style of SW:LCG. My average game of Netrunner tends to last longer than my average game of Star Wars.

The two universes are very different and the two rulesets are very different. And never the twain shall meet.

And that's fine by me.

May the Data Forts be with you…

#14 jeeps

jeeps

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

I have never played Netrunner, but I have watched it demoed and reviewed and really like your analysis and explanation.  You put it all there very succinctly.  

Peter Jacobson

Minnesota, USA

#15 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

I personally like Netrunner more, because it is more player game, it has bluffing (more than in SW- lcg in anyway) and it has deeper strategic element.

But SW lcg is not bad at all. It is fast, it allows a lot of card drawing, it has interesting environment nad guite unique deckbuilding system.

But +1 to Netrunner in here.

#16 OpT1mUs

OpT1mUs

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

To elaborate on my intriguing "hahahaha" comment, I play both Netrunner and SW, and while ANR is my primary LCG,  I love SW to death. That is all.

For me it's a great "secondary" LCG. Also my GF loves it also, so that's a plus (She likes ANR too, but SW clicked with her much more because of more familiar theme).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS