I'm still relatively new to the whole Dust universe. I recently purchased the Revised Core Set and so far I am extremely pleased with my purchase. I have been a Games Workshop slave for going on 10 years now, and since the most recent price increase I've been looking for a new way to spend my money.
I am extremely pleased with the quality of the Dust Tactics miniatures, as well as the simple yet tactical process in which the game is played. As a result of my new found enthusiasm, I've decided to build a 3d table to use at home and bring to my local store. Here's the first few pictures of the first half of my game board.
The first step involved taking a giant piece of pink foam board and cutting it down to the exact size of one of the table sheets provided in the Revised Core Set. Then I measured out each small square, about 3.75 inches or so. I gridded out the pattern with a dry erase marker to ensure that the line wouldn't be seen after painting, but the small grove was left behind. (more on that later)
The second portion was more labor intensive. I took a small paring knife and heated it over an open flame, just enough to allow it to melt the foam without leaving a huge hole. I applied the knife to the intersections where the lines meet, leaving a small grove and black line. After every intersection was cut, I took it outside and applied a liberal coating of GW's textured spray paint. This gave it a nice, textured feel while allowing for easy highlighting in the future. The end result left the intersections visible, as well as very slight lines dividing the actual spaces without drawing attention away from the board.
I'll have more pictures in the future, but let me know what you guys think.