Empire, Bretonnia and politics

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ubernatus

Ubernatus

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

How does the politics within the Empire and Bretonnia? Are there civil wars, usurpers, houses like Song of Ice and Fire etc. ? How do they play their politics games withiin themselves and each other ?

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

This area is discussed in much of the lore of warhammer, but I think it's one of those areas that is rife with possibility (maybe that's what I'll write my scenario contest entry as…hmmmmm..thanks for the idea ;)

As for Empire invading Bretonnia or vice versa, there's none of that going on really..but again, it could  make for a good storyline.

I'd recommend the following for some political info:  Darkness Rising: A Complete History of the Storm of Chaos

So much of the warhammer world is set up for the Fantasy battles game, there has to be something in the Bretonnia battles book about this.

jh

#3 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

As far as I know there is no official brickering between Bretonnia and the Empire.

But in the Marienburg sourcebooks it was said several times that Bretonnia tries to get Marienburg under its controll as the area around it was once setteled by the bretonians around the time of sigmar. But when the orcs marched towards the Black Fire Pass they fled that area and went west instead of helping sigmar to defend the empire.

Marienburg today tries to hold the balance between the empire and bretonnia to hold both in check against each other.

And between the contries are the grey mountains which works as a natural border. The Passes are heavily defended from both sides.

#4 Fenderstat

Fenderstat

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Knights of the Grail is a 2nd edition supplement which delves into the society, political situations  and the minds of a Bretonian and has a little section of what they think about other nations.  Sigmars Heirs is a fantastic supplement that pretty much does the same thing for the empire.  

So, short answer yes there are schemers, religious political and otherwise.  Long answer I suggest reading those books as they are definately worth the money.  Warhammer is not the story of a glorious unified nation standing stronge against a tide of tyranny.  There might be paragons within it like old Eddard Stark however they'll get chewed up and spat out just like Mr Stark if there not willing to play the game which society has dictated. 

Long answer read these books and form your opinions yourself for the hows and whys.  The pdfs are pretty cheap.

WFRP3 Online game forum - http://ffgvirtualrpg.prediger.at/

#5 Ubernatus

Ubernatus

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

Perhaps a war between Bretonnia and Empire or a civil war between Elector Counts or lesser nobles. Bretonnian lords fighting each other or rise up against their barons. A friend told me that earlier editions of Warhammer Fantasy involved much much more politics than the later editions (especially Bretonnia) What do you think of those ?

#6 Ubernatus

Ubernatus

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:12 AM

Any comment please:(

#7 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:04 AM

It seems the same in all editions to me, but I don't really have preference.  Player Characters don't usually have any business in major politics (afterall what does a rat catcher know of Imperial entanglements except to stay out of the way of the nobles).   Civil war or border disputes with Brettonia are perfectly plausable and covered in some of the novels (you'd have to google which ones).

You could also look at the scenario, "power behind the throne."  IF your campaign is going to be noble-based, then also look at Edge of Night and teh Slaanesh boxed set.

WHat kind of WFRP campaign are you planning on running?

jh

#8 Ubernatus

Ubernatus

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Emirikol said:

It seems the same in all editions to me, but I don't really have preference.  Player Characters don't usually have any business in major politics (afterall what does a rat catcher know of Imperial entanglements except to stay out of the way of the nobles).   Civil war or border disputes with Brettonia are perfectly plausable and covered in some of the novels (you'd have to google which ones).

You could also look at the scenario, "power behind the throne."  IF your campaign is going to be noble-based, then also look at Edge of Night and teh Slaanesh boxed set.

WHat kind of WFRP campaign are you planning on running?

jh

Much like in the Game of Thrones… Mostly human conflicts. My players will start as a bit higher status than commoner citizen, but eventually they will find themselves in a big war ravaging the Old World… New borders will be drawn and power will change hands… Very political game with some supernatural horror elements

#9 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

Excellent.  Yes, then check out the book I noted earlier.  There aren't a lot of noble/political scenarios.  NOblesse Oblige comes to mind though in addition to the others I noted.

Sigmar's Heirs 2e supplement is crucial for you knowing who all the nobles are.

Best of luck,

jh

#10 Ubernatus

Ubernatus

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

Emirikol said:

Excellent.  Yes, then check out the book I noted earlier.  There aren't a lot of noble/political scenarios.  NOblesse Oblige comes to mind though in addition to the others I noted.

Sigmar's Heirs 2e supplement is crucial for you knowing who all the nobles are.

Best of luck,

jh

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your help :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS