Photo

Has anyone tried the shapeways Tie Defenders and Missile Boats?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TieDefender

TieDefender

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

Has anyone tried/bought them and if so how good/durable were they? since they are unlikely to be made in any game shapeways appears to be the only option of getting tie defenders and missile boats.

#2 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

Actually, I anticipate that this game will do well enough that we will see TIE Defenders. I'm not worried about that at all. Now Missile Boats on the other hand…not so sure. I imagine we'd see Gunboats (Cygnus Starwing fighters) before we saw Missile Boats.

Lots of us here have discussed how this game shares it's name with the old LucasArts video games X-wing and TIE figther, and I don't think that comparison is lost on the designers. We may see ships that have never been manufactured before.

As for Shapeways, I had never heard of it before now. It looks like making the miniature starfighters is a possibility, but I wonder about how that might be affected by copyright.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#3 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

Man, I know I replied to this question - though I think it was on the WotC boards, where you go by a different name - but I don't see my post anywhere. Odd. Anyway… Shapeways has considerable difficulty getting their (Monty's, actually) models printed if they have any kind of thin shapes. I have two versions of the Ebon Hawk, but the others I've tried to order came back with a message saying they couldn't be printed due to "thin walls." Therefore, I do NOT see a TIE Defender working out - or a Starwing, for that matter. Additionally, the detail resolution is really pretty lame, AND they're quite spendy. If you DO get any, go for Frosted Detail, not White, Strong & Flexible 'cos the latter doesn't paint up very well; the material seems porus. Me, I'd go for kits/models of good ol' resin any day. However, someone's gotta make 'em.

#4 TieDefender

TieDefender

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

well so far it seems the unit selection is going to be really low for the initial game so it makes me think that tie defenders/advanced/missile boats are probably not on the radar.

I tried monty's stuff for WAS and the material like you said is too thin it broke way to easily thats why I wondering if the tie defenders and missile boats fell under this , i hadn't tried shapeways in months so I was hoping maybe they fixed it .

#5 proudgeek159

proudgeek159

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

I got a chance to demo the game at GAMA this year in Feb/May, and the demonstrator was pretty tight-lipped about any upcoming expansions.  His exact words whenever we asked about specific ships were,"there are a lot of ships in the Star Wars universe."  On the other hand, he did know exactly how big the Millenium Falcon would be if they were to manufacture it.  I am willing to bet that we'll definitely see at least the TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber, B-Wing, and Y-Wing.  And yes, I'll buy all of them, and the Z-95 Headhunter and the Skipray Blastboat to boot!  Just don't waste my time with any Phantom Menace poodoo,,,

Craig

#6 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Well, we KNOW the Y-Wing is there; you might've missed that. There are four single-ship expansion packs in the initial release: TIE, X-Wing, Y-Wing & TIE Advanced (with optional pilots other than Lord Vader). I'd definitely expect TIE Interceptor & A-Wing in the future, with B-Wing as a near-certainty and TIE Bomber as a very probable. I'm also putting my money on the Falcon and Slave-I.

#7 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

I'm pretty sure it was a typo. He was probably thinking A-wing and wrote Y-wing. The letters look kinda the same, after all . . . if you turn your head upside-down.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#8 TieDefender

TieDefender

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

the problem the missile boat and defender have is they are both insanely powerful which is fine for a video game but it might be tough to incorporate to a table top game where they both cost 2x as much points wise then the best rebel unit out there.

#9 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:58 AM

TieDefender said:

the problem the missile boat and defender have is they are both insanely powerful which is fine for a video game but it might be tough to incorporate to a table top game where they both cost 2x as much points wise then the best rebel unit out there.

That's a good point, and it comes back to something brought up on the forums elsewhere. In Wizards of the Coast's Star Wars Miniatures game having a team with a few really powerful characters always one out over many weaker characters. If FFG has managed to produce a game that doesn't fall into that trap, having a really expensive fighter on either faction won't be a game breaker. It will just influence each player's strategy, which sounds pretty exciting to me.

Remember playing TIE fighter in the training missions where you had to dogfight with successively more challenging opponents or just more of them? I think having the option of choosing a single, powerful unit and seeing how many opponents he can destroy before he is destroyed sounds like a fun little scenario. In short: I am all for a wickedly powerful TIE Defender. Like so many things, we'll just have to wait and see.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#10 Gosric

Gosric

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

I suppose it is bumping an old thread but.....

http://community.fan...plastic-grades/

The Sea of Stars will be my home, Under the black flag of freedom

http://lorelei-shipy...blr.com/archive

https://www.shapeway...ric?sort=newest

#11 Chris Maes

Chris Maes

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

It appears that nobody here reads posts more than a week old. ;)

There have been numerous discussions of Shapeways and 2D printing on this site, including conversations with various model designers (TIE Defender among them) and proposed stats for some of these models.  Much, much, much virtual ink has been spilt discussing the Defender (and Avenger).  I, myself, have a 3D printed Defender from Shapeways and, once painted up, looks great with the official models.  Now, the detail depends on the type of printing medium used and price varies with those materials but the detail will never be as good as injection molded models like the FFG minis.  However, if prepared and painted up right, they look just fine on the gaming table.  I wish I had some pics to show.  Sorry :mellow:

Chris

#12 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

For some reason I get a strong feeling that the TIE-Defender will make it into the table top of x-wing, I have seen the shape ways Tie defenders and they look great. I thing they will have stats almost similar to the B-Wings

#13 Imperial Rebel

Imperial Rebel

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

Found some models on there.

Tie Defender

674x501_872918_939837_1390089159.jpg

E-Wing

674x501_806880_1691747_1389382353.jpg

Sorry i didn't find the missile boat, but a stumbled upon the E-Wing at least.

Imperials (12): Tie-Fighters (5) Space Narwhals (2) Tie-Advanceds (1) Firesprays (1) Tie-Phantoms (2)

Tie-Defenders (1)

Rebels (12): X-Wings (4) B-Wings (2) HWK-290s (1) YT-1200s (1) Z-95 Headhunters (1) A-Wings (1)

Y-Wings (1) E-Wings (1)

#14 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

I have a Kwing, Jedi Interceptor, and Fanblade Fighter in the cheapest material and they look ok by themselves. Havnt tried painting and heard it takes some doing to look good but think it can be managed.

#15 Gosric

Gosric

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

674x501_1183401_1109118_1377429972.jpg

This missile boat?

https://www.shapeway...s&materialId=60

There are some images of the actual printed Defender on page one of the Shapeways material thread and a link to pics of the printed E Wing

The Sea of Stars will be my home, Under the black flag of freedom

http://lorelei-shipy...blr.com/archive

https://www.shapeway...ric?sort=newest

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS