Jump to content



Photo

Find Gate & Delayed


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Esto

Esto

    Member

  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

Can a delayed Investigator try to use Find Gate during the Movement Phase?



#2 Julia

Julia

    I survived Avi's apocalypse

  • Members
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

Esto said:

Can a delayed Investigator try to use Find Gate during the Movement Phase?

Nope. A delayed investigator is allowed only to make his standee back up during his movement phase (and fight eventual monsters at his location). You cannot cast any "movement phase" spells while delayed, so, no Find gate, sorry


We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Tbla

Tbla

    Member

  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:54 AM

Julia said:

Esto said:

 

Can a delayed Investigator try to use Find Gate during the Movement Phase?

 

 

Nope. A delayed investigator is allowed only to make his standee back up during his movement phase (and fight eventual monsters at his location). You cannot cast any "movement phase" spells while delayed, so, no Find gate, sorry

Are you sure about this? The only thing I find in the rules are that you don't move and receive no movement points, nothing about not using other abilities or casting spells.



#4 Julia

Julia

    I survived Avi's apocalypse

  • Members
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

That's correct, there are no rules saying you can't. This point is to be covered by the coming FAQ. The general consensum of people who worked on the FAQ is that you can't cast movement spells in the movement phase if you're delayed, it was said countless times on this very forum. If you have the patience to skim oltder threads, you'll find several answers by Tibs repeating more or less the same. Tibs has also some good points to defend this thesis beside the memory of "what was said about the FAQ but now they are not allowed to talk about any longer" (but sorry, my memory is not good enough to remember on his arguments, I just try to memorize his answers)


We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Tibs

Tibs

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

I can't remember many of my arguments either, but this one should be the most important:

If you're drawn into a gate, you're delayed. If this happens on the Mythos phase, and you're allowed to cast Find Gate when delayed, then you would return to Arkham and receive an explored token after having zero Other World encounters, which is not the intent.

Granted, there are other situations where this can happen, but they are extremely rare (as they should be).



#6 Walk

Walk

    Member

  • Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

My initial instinct would be that you can cast it, but I'll concede the point to Tibs, knowing his sources.  However, I would contend that "the designers' intent as regards the number of turns you should spend in an Other World" isn't really a good thing to base an argument on, as many debates about entering an Other World due to an Arkham Encounter prove.



#7 Tibs

Tibs

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Well, this is one of the times where it is a good argument, if for no other reason than the fact that they ruled that a gate opening on you delays you so that you should have at least two encounters before returning. In any case, you can't really call it "explored" if you didn't even walk through it at all :P

Wow… does anyone else have issues with this forum when using Chrome? The hotkeys for bold and italic don't work properly, nor does the smiley popup.



#8 Tbla

Tbla

    Member

  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

Julia said:

That's correct, there are no rules saying you can't. This point is to be covered by the coming FAQ. The general consensum of people who worked on the FAQ is that you can't cast movement spells in the movement phase if you're delayed, it was said countless times on this very forum. If you have the patience to skim oltder threads, you'll find several answers by Tibs repeating more or less the same. Tibs has also some good points to defend this thesis beside the memory of "what was said about the FAQ but now they are not allowed to talk about any longer" (but sorry, my memory is not good enough to remember on his arguments, I just try to memorize his answers)

Ok thanks.

Reading old posts is actually one of my favorite hobbies besides playing games, I am a sad person I know.

This makes me once again think about how many nice discussions that would never have occurred if the FAQ were out there.
When/if it ever comes I think I'll just ignore it and keep pestering you guys on the forum instead



#9 Walk

Walk

    Member

  • Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

Tibs: YES!  YES!!!  FINALLY, ONE ADVANTAGE EXPLORER HAS OVER CHROME!  WITHOUT ITALICS, THERE CAN BE NO ACCENTUATION OF A POINT!  WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW, CHROMERS??!!!!  FASTER RUNNING TIME, AUTOMATIC UPDATES, AND GENERAL BETTER PERFORMANCE ARE NOTHING TO SMILIES!!!

Yeah, I have no idea why I use Explorer.  Inertia, I guess.



#10 Tibs

Tibs

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:01 AM

This is the one circumstance where I recommend Explorer over Chrome. Notice how I managed to bold those words? In Chrome I'd have to type them first, then select them, then click the bold button. Right now I'm at work, so I'm using Firefox (no privileges to install anything). It ain't Explorer, though.



#11 Julia

Julia

    I survived Avi's apocalypse

  • Members
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Tbla said:

This makes me once again think about how many nice discussions that would never have occurred if the FAQ were out there.

When/if it ever comes I think I'll just ignore it and keep pestering you guys on the forum instead

::laughter:: that's a good point :-) with no off-topic section any longer, debating non-existing FAQs is something that could make my day as well :-)


We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League




© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS