Bran Stark VD version

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Underworld40k

Underworld40k

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

Just a quick question, the latest version of bran reads 'kneel a direwolf to stand bran stark. Then bran stark gains (choose 1) a military icon, stealth or deadly until the end of the phase.

If bran becomes a direwolf is he a valid target for his own ability FROM STANDING. ie, bran is standing, can i kneel him  to stand him and gain 1 effect of my choice and repeate till he has all 3?

#2 Staton

Staton

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

Yeah actually. You kneel Bran during step 1 as a cost. By the time you get to step 3 he is already kneeling and stands. Epic!

#3 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

That is kind of amazing actually.  I love it.

#4 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

Totally.  I still haven't felt like trying to use him yet.  Hehe

#5 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

Underworld40k said:

If bran becomes a direwolf is he a valid target for his own ability FROM STANDING. ie, bran is standing, can i kneel him  to stand him and gain 1 effect of my choice and repeate till he has all 3?
To nitpick terminology here: he is not "a valid target" because his ability has no target.

The effect of kneeling him to pay the cost for standing him is all true, though. It's actually very thematic (although unintendedly so, I would bet), imho. Bran "becomes" a direwolf, and is suddenly able to do a whole lot more than he can when he is a boy.

#6 KristoffStark

KristoffStark

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

ktom said:

Underworld40k said:

To nitpick terminology here: he is not "a valid target" because his ability has no target.

The effect of kneeling him to pay the cost for standing him is all true, though. It's actually very thematic (although unintendedly so, I would bet), imho. Bran "becomes" a direwolf, and is suddenly able to do a whole lot more than he can when he is a boy.

Amongst the Nedliest of effects, for sure.

#7 davedave

davedave

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:54 AM

Is this still true with FAQ (3.6) Triggered Effects:

[…]

In order to trigger an effect, the possibility that 

at least some independent aspect of the effect 
(as opposed to the cost) is able to resolve 
must exist. If, given the current game state it 
is impossible (aside from cancels) for at least 
one aspect of the effect to resolve, the effect 
cannot be triggered. This check is made during 
step "b" of an action's initiation, when all play 
restrictions are checked.
[…]

My interpretation would be, that during step "b", checking for play restrictions, Bran is still standing.
Meaning it is not allowed to be triggered, as the cost to kneel Bran is only implemented at step "e".

#8 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

You are correct.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS