• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Saibot

Saibot

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

Greetings!

I recently got Honour the Chapter and was surprised to find Chapter tables with Skill Groups saying "Any two". I am not entirely sure how to interpret this and I have been discussing this with my Blood Raven player and we have come up with multiple interpretations and would appreciate your input. Before I get to those, I would just like to say what our interpretaton of "any" and "any one" was:

• "Any" allows the player to buy every single Skill/Talent in that Skill/Talent Group at the listed price for each
  • "Any one" allows the player to buy one Skill/Talent of that Skill/Talent Group at the listed price

Now, here are our various interpretations for "Any two":

• Like "Any one" just that the player can choose two seperate Skills/Talents to buy at the listed price for each
  • The player gets two Skills/Talents of the Skill/Talent group at the listed price at the same time, he may buy this multiple times
  • The player gets two Skills/Talents of the Skill/Talent group at the listed price at the same time, he may buy this only once

Thanks in advance!

#2 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:13 AM

Actually, I think in most cases "Any" is essentially the same as "Any one", just before they listed specifically how often you could take it if you could take it more than once. More recently they seem  in some cases to have taken to just listing the same thing repeatedly if you could take it multiple times (or in the case of Skill groups, the "Any x" formula). With this  I may be wrong about that, but that is always how I have read it.

"Any two" is like "Any one", you can buy up to two different skills of that category, each time paying the cost listed.

#3 Saibot

Saibot

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:14 AM

I considered this too, however in Honour the Chapter there are still instances of "Any" without any number given, so I am really not sure.

#4 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hehe, yet another advance listing option?

Here is the whole list of FFG advance listings and what they mean. This is from extensive research into all the books up to Rights of Battle.

(Any) = You may choose any skill group for the skill advance, you may purchase this advance as many times as you want

(Choose One) = You may choose any skill group for the skill advance, but you may only purchase this advance once.

(Choose One) (X2) = You may choose any skill group for the skill advance, you may purchase this advance twice (or the number of times indicated in parenthesis).

Specific skill and skill group (ex: Scholastic Lore (Imperial Creed)) = If you purchase this advance you only receive the specific skill group listed.

Now, "Any Two" is a little confusing. It is different than "Any" but at the same time different than "(Choose One) (X2)". Until any specific clarification, I'd say it allows you to purchase two skill groups with just the one expenditure of XP, but you may only do this once (as different than the normal "(Any)" option).

#5 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:17 AM

Does that book use the "Choose" terminology at all? If not I'd say it's like "choose two"; if it is I'd agree with herichimo. 

#6 Saibot

Saibot

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Kshatriya said:

Does that book use the "Choose" terminology at all? If not I'd say it's like "choose two"; if it is I'd agree with herichimo. 

Not in any Advancement Tables. The only instances of "Choose one" are about picking one of a selection of equipment sets. Advancement tables in HtC all use either "Any", "Any one" or "Any two"

#7 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

I really don't think that "Any Two X (200 XP)" means "pay 200 XP and get 2 of X."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS