• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ciryon_

ciryon_

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

Hello

In the last Deathwatch errata, Righteous Fury has been corrected to 1D10 but it does not appear in the last Rogue Trader errata, is this normal ?

#2 ShadowFighter88

ShadowFighter88

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

I think part of it is because they're two separate games.  There's probably more to it, though - maybe the limited RF version from the Deathwatch errata was considered too weak or minor for normal humans.  I'm only speculating here, though.  Could be that there are more important stuff that needs errata before Righteous Fury.  I'm sure someone else can pitch in a bit more info, insight or the like.

#3 kenshin138

kenshin138

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

I think the change was needed more in Deathwatch due to the increased damage overall. That said, I would strongly suggest using the DH/DW method in RT as well. It is just a better system.

#4 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

kenshin138 said:

I think the change was needed more in Deathwatch due to the increased damage overall. That said, I would strongly suggest using the DH/DW method in RT as well. It is just a better system.

Agree 100%.  I had to house rule my game because the RT RAW just meant Righteous Fury was resulting in crazy munchkin damage.  I had a player character deal out more than 100 points of damage with one shot, twice, in the same adventure… and he was first level.  (The player knew the rules real well.  The offending weapon was a grenade launcher with xenofilament grenades.  As long as one of the dice rolled a 10, it was pick up all the dice, reroll, and add…  His ballistic skill was high enough that he very rarely failed to confirm.)

Cheers,

- V.

#5 Donte

Donte

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

Vandegraffe said:

Agree 100%.  I had to house rule my game because the RT RAW just meant Righteous Fury was resulting in crazy munchkin damage.  I had a player character deal out more than 100 points of damage with one shot, twice, in the same adventure… and he was first level.  (The player knew the rules real well.  The offending weapon was a grenade launcher with xenofilament grenades.  As long as one of the dice rolled a 10, it was pick up all the dice, reroll, and add…  His ballistic skill was high enough that he very rarely failed to confirm.)

Cheers,

- V.

Wow I never noticed that.  Being as my friends and I have been in sense a little after DH started we always just went with the DH style for Righteous Fury. 

Not to bash you or your ability to run a game but  about the character doing over 100 wounds with a single damage roll (Two of those would drop a Greater Daemon and would be cause for much suspicion by the Inquisition about the "Legitimacy" of the Emperor's blessing bestowed upon him.)  It should be your job as a GM to look at him and say.  Umm. No.  That may be the RAW but I don't think that's the way it was intended, as most weapons that players will be (usually) using are 1d10+X, and while it is easy enough to get your greedy mits on grenades or melta/plasma weapons, +1d10 is how we always saw it.  Even massmunchkins who have tried have been slapped down with the all mighty GM says "NO" rule.  They may complain about it being how its written.  But Deathwatch Bolters and most weapons in that book have been balanced better then what they were orignally written, and its blatently obvious when a player is trying to get away with hefty bs. 

#6 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Donte said:

Vandegraffe said:

Agree 100%.  I had to house rule my game because the RT RAW just meant Righteous Fury was resulting in crazy munchkin damage.  I had a player character deal out more than 100 points of damage with one shot, twice, in the same adventure… and he was first level. 

Wow I never noticed that.  Being as my friends and I have been in sense a little after DH started we always just went with the DH style for Righteous Fury. 

Not to bash you or your ability to run a game but  about the character doing over 100 wounds with a single damage roll (Two of those would drop a Greater Daemon and would be cause for much suspicion by the Inquisition about the "Legitimacy" of the Emperor's blessing bestowed upon him.)  It should be your job as a GM to look at him and say.  Umm. No. 

Ahem.  What part of "I had to house rule my game" wasn't clear?  We did switch to the DH rules for Righteous Fury after a few sessions… and at that point monster wound numbers mysteriously and discreetly dropped back to normal. 

Cheers,

- V.

#7 Gwdaver

Gwdaver

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

Donte said:

Vandegraffe said:

Cheers,

- V.

Not to bash you or your ability to run a game but  about the character doing over 100 wounds with a single damage roll (Two of those would drop a Greater Daemon and would be cause for much suspicion by the Inquisition about the "Legitimacy" of the Emperor's blessing bestowed upon him.)  It should be your job as a GM to look at him and say.  Umm. No.  That may be the RAW but I don't think that's the way it was intended, as most weapons that players will be (usually) using are 1d10+X, and while it is easy enough to get your greedy mits on grenades or melta/plasma weapons, +1d10 is how we always saw it.  Even massmunchkins who have tried have been slapped down with the all mighty GM says "NO" rule.  They may complain about it being how its written.  But Deathwatch Bolters and most weapons in that book have been balanced better then what they were orignally written, and its blatently obvious when a player is trying to get away with hefty bs. 

I like the way my GM runs it……what is good for the goose…..is good for the gander!!!  If I can dish out 100 wounds in one shot….so can the bad guys…and guess what??  There are a LOT more of them.

Often, when someone pulls something - He just looks at them and says, "Is that the kind of game you want to play??"  Meaning, "It is up to you, but if you do it, I am doing it!!!"  VERY EFFECTIVE and players all feel like, "wow this guy is letting me get away with murder," at first at least.  If he ever says to you a second time, "is that the kind of game you want to play?"  There is usually a very quick response in the negative.  

So, yes I have been one shot with a man portable lascannon and had to burn a fate point to live.  Yes I have been shot by full auto tearing storm bolters.  I have even had the emperor's blessing kill me on a frag grenade.  But I can do all these things, so can they and it adds a little epicness to the game.  

From Vandegraffe's other posts, I am pretty certain I would really enjoy the game he runs.  His posts seem well thought out, and most importantly he seeks balance with RAW, RAI and FUN!!!!

#8 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Oi, Gwdaver, you tryin' to make me blush?  Thanks for the compliment, anyway.  My take on thinking things through is this:  any fool can post random drivel to the internet, and most fools do.  So, I merely try not to add myself to that category. 

And in the very unlikely event geography ever puts us face to face, I'm going to call your bluff and make a spot at my gaming table.

Cheers,

- V.

#9 Thaddux

Thaddux

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:55 AM

My group and I have entirely switched over to use the BC rules instead, just to get a little more use out of the crit tables.

This was decided after a player badmouthed a commissar, got slapped in the mouth for his trouble, and lost a fate point from the resulting 70+ wounds.

#10 ShadowFighter88

ShadowFighter88

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Thaddux said:

My group and I have entirely switched over to use the BC rules instead, just to get a little more use out of the crit tables.

This was decided after a player badmouthed a commissar, got slapped in the mouth for his trouble, and lost a fate point from the resulting 70+ wounds.

70+ wounds!!  What the hell was he slapped with?  The mother of all power fists while it was holding a virus bomb?!

#11 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

I think that considering the subject, it is more likely that someone rolled 6-7 10s in a row.

Even though "more likely" is a strange term to use here, considering the odds of rolling 7 tens in a row would be  0.1^7 or 0.0000001, making this a "one in 10 million" slap :)

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#12 Géza!

Géza!

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

Personally, I adapted the Only War rules for Righteous Fury, which is the new system Zealous Hatred introduced in Black Crusade. It feels more lifelike, and running into crit effects without being near death spices up combat nicely.

#13 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:35 AM

The Rogue Trader campaign I'm currently playing in is switching to the Dark Heresy righteous fury rules. I'm completely fine with this, even if it reduces the lethality of my seneschal's boltgun. I like not living with the significant possibility of getting splattered in one unlucky hit from a stub revolver wielded by an NPC with fate points.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS