• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 eBarbarossa

eBarbarossa

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

Hey guys,

What du you think is the best hunting weapon? I am planning to play a Praetorian RT who likes to go hunting. Deer, Foxes, Rak'Gol, Eldar, mobile trees that shoot lightning and radiation…whatever the lokal forest-equivalents have to offer.

So what do you think is the best gun for huning? Right now I'm going for a Nomad Hunting Instrument with Targeter, Maglev-Impeller, Omni-scope and Hyperdensity Penetrators (Organgrinders being unusually cruel for hunting). Anything else?

#2 Cornwallis

Cornwallis

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

an air yacht would be exciting to use, and helpful for catching things alive as well

#3 jabberwoky

jabberwoky

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

I think you've sussed everything, however, I would recommend several dozen 'volunteers' to flush out the game or become bait for the beastie.

Also, would a gold-plated Leman Russ be considered standard kit for hunting on Death Worlds?

#4 eBarbarossa

eBarbarossa

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

An air yacht! Splendid! Do they come with harpoons, too?

#5 Alasseo

Alasseo

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:31 AM

Harpoon gun, tranq gun and a net launcher (Into the Storm, p 186)

There is no right, and no wrong, but having the bigger stick makes it so...

#6 Plasmafest

Plasmafest

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:12 AM

Second the Air Yacht. Send them to a world with near-impenetrable triple-canopy-treecover and a large, lurking, carnivour.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"

#7 Musclewizard

Musclewizard

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:18 AM

While not directly a gun or other hunting tool what every noble hunter needs is some local yokel that carries around his gear because no man of noble birth should be encumbered by the weight of his possessions.

#8 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

One of my previous Rogue Trader PCs had an arms-coffer servitor manufactured that was capable of responding to commands and deploying/throwing the appropriate weapon. You've not lived until you've heard someone say "Umbabu! Fetch me my shoggoth gun!"

• Alasseo likes this

#9 Drhoz

Drhoz

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:57 PM

Errant said:

One of my previous Rogue Trader PCs had an arms-coffer servitor manufactured that was capable of responding to commands and deploying/throwing the appropriate weapon. You've not lived until you've heard someone say "Umbabu! Fetch me my shoggoth gun!"

*thumbs up*

#10 BangBangTequila

BangBangTequila

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

I would imagine an elaborate, blunderbuss-styled rifle that while functionally similar to a precision rifle, looks rather like an 1900's game hunter's weapon from the untamed wilds of Africa. 

+1 on the Umbabu. Made me wake my neighbour with a jolly guffaw.

#11 eBarbarossa

eBarbarossa

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

I imagine that's just what the Nomad gun looks like.

And instead of a servitor I'll have a wide eyed kid from the underdecks carry around my stuff. After all the terrors he goes through, following an RT around, he'll become either a raving lunatic or a jaded killer by the time he's 17. ^^

#12 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

eBarbarossa said:

Hey guys,

What du you think is the best hunting weapon? I am planning to play a Praetorian RT who likes to go hunting. Deer, Foxes, Rak'Gol, Eldar, mobile trees that shoot lightning and radiation…whatever the lokal forest-equivalents have to offer.

So what do you think is the best gun for huning? Right now I'm going for a Nomad Hunting Instrument with Targeter, Maglev-Impeller, Omni-scope and Hyperdensity Penetrators (Organgrinders being unusually cruel for hunting). Anything else?

The weapon you state is quiet good, but the weapon you will choose to hunt (terran) Foxes will not be the best choice for a Rak´Gol and the other way around. If the round (or shot) you use to kill the prey will turn it into a mangled mess…. we are not talking about hunting. You do not hunt small animals with the literal elephant gun.

Approach it different from "combat weapon selection". Have a "hunting caddy" with an assortment of rifles and have one hunting releated, statted main weapon. The hunting weapons do not really need to have stats, have they? Ask your GM, I think he will gladly agree to use a different game mechanic for hunting then he will use for serious combat, so that your hunting rifle selection will merely become an equipment bonus and a matter of roleplay and description.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS