Rogue Trader's Most Useful

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DarkWinds

DarkWinds

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Has anyone supplemented their Black Crusade games with rules from Rogue Trader, Battlefleet Koronus and Into the Storm? I have the Rogue Trader core rulebook and am considering involving voidships in my games. And much later, if the players last long enough, then the Battlefleet Koronus book might be handy for running a Black Crusade in more detail than is possible with the Black Crusade core rulebook alone. And before that the vehicle rules from Into the Storm would be very tempting and a good way to spice up the 'mid game' I think, leading the players astray with desires of acquiring tanks and aircraft for their warband.

Has anyone done this? Did the rules feel truly compatible or was it stilted/fudged? I'd very much hoped Black Crusade would have come with its own (perhaps less exhaustive) rules for this stuff as they feel like important parts of the main end game for which the game system is named. Since we're not likely to see specific content for Black Crusade regarding these at time soon (not with those Chaos Tomes that are almost guaranteed to come out first) I'm minded to put that consistent boast about the core game systems being compatible to the test. Has anyone else tried or been tempted to try?

DW

#2 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

I actually think abot adding background material & worlds from RT to BC (once I get it afloat). I find the majority of worlds described in the Vortex to be lacking condition for a believable, large cilivization. Thereby, games will be low key high fantasy with small villages and cities unless one moves to Q´Saal or similiar worlds. While most worlds features in The Edge of the Abyss or not overly life-friendly as well, they make for better game hosts in my opinion.

In addition, the mentioned supplement gives you some Chaos Reavers, some Imperial Factions to clash with and additional Chaos magic plus some more details on Xenos like the Stryxis, the Kroot and the Rak´Gol. The first one make fitting buisness partners, the second hefty mercenarias to both fight with or against and the later are a Khornites dream in regard to worthy opponents to put down in the name of the Blood God.

#3 Larkin

Larkin

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

Using the voidships is pretty easy, since it's an entirely different rules system. I'd suggesting using Mathhammer though. The only problem I could see is when it calls for a specific skill that doesn't exist in BC, but that's easily handled by choosing the closest skill and sticking with it.

Vehicles could be ported directly over, with the same caveat for skills as voidships. In fact Only War is going to have some nice vehicle rules and stats in it as well.

If you want to import gear though, you'll need to make some modifications. Generally it's easy as -1d10 +5 damage for weapons rolling multiple D10s, but some of the traits need to be looked at and converted to the new system as needed. I'd suggest doing this on a case by case basis, and not going overboard with a complete overhaul.

Everything else either has a direct analogue in BC, or is overridden by already existing rules in BC. And with all that, I guess I'm making the argument that it actually works together decently well with really minor adjustments.

#4 DarkWinds

DarkWinds

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Great, thanks for the responses. As far as the changes in skills they're mostly covered in the BC rule book comparing the older systems skills etc with their new BC equivalent so hopefully doing that shouldn't be too hard. But yeah the parts I'm most interested in are using vehicles and voidships so that sounds great. I'll keep an eye out on Only War too.

DW

#5 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

What skills would you need that don't exist in BC? I thought they'd just renamed everything not done away with specific skills (so, Operate instead of Pilot).

#6 Cornwallis

Cornwallis

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

I always wondered if BC could be used to supplement RT. the trader falling to chaos has always been tempting for me but lacked any rules to do so

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS