Gaps for FFG to Fill in Careers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

By my reckoning, in all published materials (including Witches and Warlocks from Witches Song), there are:

Basic:  54

Intermediate:  23

Advanced:  10

Expert: 7

Heroic:  2

To me, clearly, we need more careers at the upper tiers.

Beyond that we need more Wood Elf and High Elf careers as their options are limited.

There are work-arounds for these issues.  I allow careers not open to wood elf to be "reskinned" and made open, for example.  Still there is much more material in both those areas to plumb to create careers (different wood elf kithbands, regions of Ulthuan, the magic of both cultures etc.)

Others' views?

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

I say bring back the bawd and the camp follower.  They're perfect for those nights when someone forgets their character sheet  >:)

I think we're going to hit a bit of a dry spell for a while in regards to new human careers though…If/when an elf product is finally released we'll have some official stuff.  Until then, I've just allowed Yepsnopes stuff to be played.

As for epic level stuff, I wonder how many they really need or if they could institute a journeyman/master/Lord rule for nearly every career out there as they stand now.

jh

#3 HedgeWizard

HedgeWizard

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

I'd personally be happier with journeyman / master / lord progression than a ton of new careers that aren't region/race specific.  I'd love to see 10 career packs on Bretonnia, Estalia, Tilea, Norse, etc.

Don't really care about poncy elves.

#4 thePREdiger

thePREdiger

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

One of my players is a Wardancer. She is now rank2, soon rank3, and repeats the career again. 

An (wood) elf book + careers would really rock.

#5 RARodger

RARodger

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:27 AM

HedgeWizard said:

I'd personally be happier with journeyman / master / lord progression than a ton of new careers that aren't region/race specific.  I'd love to see 10 career packs on Bretonnia, Estalia, Tilea, Norse, etc.

Don't really care about poncy elves.

My players are starting to eye their second careers, and there was a surprising lack of obvious choices. The wizard's path is clear cut. The Agent's is less so, but he has a lot of options. The two fighters (a dwarf soldier and ogre maneater) have even fewer. They're not going to be knighted, the iron breaker path makes no sense for our campaign, and neither character is really set up for the leadership path of sergeant/captain/whatever. So yeah, I'd like to see more midlevel careers that players in actual campaigns would conceivably take than race/location/culture specific careers right now.

#6 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:28 AM

Rodger, For the fighters looking at 2nd career, not using the "plotted dwarf path" etc.  Veteran is a nice intermediate career that is narratively very open to any sort of more experienced fighter.  Very nice set of skills to train (ones often used), 3 slots.  Marksman if either likes ranged attacks.  Duellist if they like fighting one on one (Lure of Power notes the noble trait doesn't have to mean born noble, in fact really only means that if 1st career, otherwise it just means some familiarity with how the other 1% conducts itself)

I think the two approaches (more mid-level and more race) can bridge.  For example, you can have a "Master Huntsman" career logical to take after huntsman, that means you're the local lord's appointed huntsman/gamekeeper if human or that you are trusted by your Kithband to assess the need to cull animals etc. if you are a wood elf.

Another possibility, is to have a set of "journeyman", "master" + modifiers to basic careers rather than an entire suite of new careers.  Change out one skill (reflecting different tasks, more social role etc.), move one choice in the career options for advances from one category to another, and here are suitable career abilities for the next up.

#7 RARodger

RARodger

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

valvorik said:

Rodger, For the fighters looking at 2nd career, not using the "plotted dwarf path" etc.  Veteran is a nice intermediate career that is narratively very open to any sort of more experienced fighter.  Very nice set of skills to train (ones often used), 3 slots.  Marksman if either likes ranged attacks.  Duellist if they like fighting one on one (Lure of Power notes the noble trait doesn't have to mean born noble, in fact really only means that if 1st career, otherwise it just means some familiarity with how the other 1% conducts itself)

No, we noted those, it just still seems small and limiting to me. I admit part of the problem is two players angling for the same niche. Really, I just want more. It feels to me like a lot of the careers add neat color to the world but just would never, or rarely, get played at the table. Of course, it's impossible since my players will want to play different characters than your players, and even us whn we're done with this campaign might play a bunch of young nobles, or the bloody comon campaign or…

So, I just want more. I would like more middle careers, and I would love more Basic careers that can be used in the midcareer.

And I would prefer them to be as race/location neutral as possible. In fact, I think a much better way to differentiate between human nations, for instance, would be talents with Norsica, Tilea, Brettonia, Sylvana, keywords on them for instance. (Yes, I know one of those things is not like the others.)

#8 Karma Kollapse

Karma Kollapse

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

I'm not sure what you people are complaining about. As a halfling player who isn't a Thief, I shake my three solitary intermediate career options (Charlatan, Demagogue and Investigator) at you. We only have two other advanced career options beyond that (Master Thief, that requires completion of Thief, and Crime Lord, which is an Elite career).

*grumbles*

#9 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

I created some extra careers for elves, dwarves and humans (halflings too) covering different areas of the game, from fighting, social to magic. You can find them in the links of my signature.

You will also find new careers in the fan material of Jackdays about Norsca. If I am not wrong, you can also find some extra careers in the forums created by Nephys I think, although he did not provide the back side of the cards with the career background etc.

What I mean is that anyone can get strange eons and photoshop and with a bit of time and imagination start creating careers. Afterwards, this fan material can be shared with the community to enrich the game for all of us . Of course it will lack the "Official" seal, but that does not mean that the quality is not good.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#10 Gazery

Gazery

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

Sorry I know this is picky, but it has been bugging me for a while now. By my reckoning you've got the amount for each 'tier' of careers not quite right.

I make it:

Basic - 54

Intermediate - 27

Advanced - 13

Elite - 8

Heroic - 2

I know it is not a massive difference, but those few extra careers do count. Or am I missing something?

Gazery

#11 RARodger

RARodger

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

Yepesnopes said:

What I mean is that anyone can get strange eons and photoshop and with a bit of time and imagination start creating careers. Afterwards, this fan material can be shared with the community to enrich the game for all of us . Of course it will lack the "Official" seal, but that does not mean that the quality is not good.

But.. but… then they won't be printed on that heavy cardstock… with… with the right colors and font and art! Heresy!

#12 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:36 AM

RARodger said:

Yepesnopes said:

But.. but… then they won't be printed on that heavy cardstock… with… with the right colors and font and art! Heresy!

Come on! They will be as nice as the originals and you will love them equally 

I print my home made cards in 300gr thick paper with a laser color printer. Both size printed, perfectly aligned  It cost me something around 2 euros for an A4 sheet which I stuff full of cards.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS