Jump to content



Photo

Fate of Balin


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Forest2

Forest2

    Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Does the text on the Fate of Balin card mean you add additional encounter cards beyond what you would normally stage (e.g. you would basically double-up the encounter cards)?

Thanks.



#2 Dam

Dam

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Effectively yes, except only Enemies are kept, rest are ignored.


"A dirty mind is its own reward."


#3 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

    Member

  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

Ahh, last time we played this quest, we assume that since it used the word "reveal", we resolved every "when revealed" effect (even the ones on Treacheries!).  Seems that we have given ourselves a hard time


Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#4 DarthJalapeno

DarthJalapeno

    Member

  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

From the card:

Forced: At the end of the staging step, reveal the top X cards of the encounter deck, adding all enemies to the staging area. Discard the other revealed cards without resolving them. X is the number of players.
If the players defeat this stage, they win the game. 

 

Are the enemies considered revealed, for Thalins ability?

From http://www.fantasyfl...OTR_FAQ_1.2.pdf

(1.22)

 "When Revealed" Effects
A card is only considered to be revealed if the card or
game effect causing the card to enter play specifically
uses a form of the word "reveal".

Example: If the players use the Stage 3b "Don't Leave
the Path!" (CORE 121) quest card effect to search for a
King Spider and put it into play, the "When Revealed"
effect on the King Spider will not trigger, since the
effect on "Don't Leave the Path!" does not specifically
use a form of the word "reveal."

 



#5 booored

booored

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

Well this is a 2 edge sword.. if that is the text it says "REVEAL" this means all "when revealed effects" will trigger.. so all treacheries for example will resolve.

As for Thalin's ability is active "while commited to the quest" so while at home I play that his ability only triggers during the quest phase BEFORE you place tokens.. technically (and really badly imo) the official rules state that the character is committed to the quest until the travel phase… So ANY when revealed cards that are monsters would get a wound token as this is all happening before the travel phase…


"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#6 mr.thomasschmidt

mr.thomasschmidt

    Member

  • Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

booored said:

The official rules state that the character is committed to the quest until the travel phase… So ANY when revealed cards that are monsters would get a wound token as this is all happening before the travel phase…

Wow, that is so awesome. Think I'll give Thalin another chance after all.



#7 booored

booored

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:56 AM

mr.thomasschmidt said:

Think I'll give Thalin another chance after all.

dude! Thalin is a total beast! Always has been.


"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#8 benhanses

benhanses

    Member

  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

booored said:

Well this is a 2 edge sword.. if that is the text it says "REVEAL" this means all "when revealed effects" will trigger.. so all treacheries for example will resolve.

 

… except the GT specifically states to " Discard the other revealed cards without resolving them".  In my mind, the treachery cards would also be ignored, as that IS their resolution.


"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

 

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis


#9 booored

booored

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

benhanses said:

booored said:

 

Well this is a 2 edge sword.. if that is the text it says "REVEAL" this means all "when revealed effects" will trigger.. so all treacheries for example will resolve.

 

 

 

… except the GT specifically states to " Discard the other revealed cards without resolving them".  In my mind, the treachery cards would also be ignored, as that IS their resolution.

 

ahh.. yes.. in that case … lol.. that will teach me for not looking upo the card before hand and relying on the thread to provide teh text info :) heh hehe


"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#10 DarthJalapeno

DarthJalapeno

    Member

  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

DarthJalapeno said:

From the card:

Forced: At the end of the staging step, reveal the top X cards of the encounter deck, adding all enemies to the staging area. Discard the other revealed cards without resolving them. X is the number of players.
If the players defeat this stage, they win the game. 

 

Are the enemies considered revealed, for Thalins ability?

From http://www.fantasyfl...OTR_FAQ_1.2.pdf

(1.22)

 "When Revealed" Effects
A card is only considered to be revealed if the card or
game effect causing the card to enter play specifically
uses a form of the word "reveal".

Example: If the players use the Stage 3b "Don't Leave
the Path!" (CORE 121) quest card effect to search for a
King Spider and put it into play, the "When Revealed"
effect on the King Spider will not trigger, since the
effect on "Don't Leave the Path!" does not specifically
use a form of the word "reveal."

 

The text was provided, and thank you all for the input!

 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS