• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jjeagle

jjeagle

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Up here: http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=3419

No preview this time though, just a decklist.

"I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself."

#2 Shelfwear

Shelfwear

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

Yes and it's one of the weakest deck designs I've ever seen: starting threat of 32 and not a single possibility to reduce threat, spotlighting the two Noldor tactics allies but no card draw ability to support them or ability to utilize the discarded cards from your discard pile either.

#3 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

If they said this was a supporting deck, then it could work (if the other deck drew, quested and lowered threat - which is quite something to do).

But not single card previewed - actually no new infortmation whatsoever? We were told last week this pack was coming in a few weeks, are there new problems with shipping maybe? Hope not. There's no hint at all in this "preview"…

#4 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Mehhhh, no preview….. and we should look for the last pack at a retailer "in the next few weeks". We have FoS for a month now. 
 And likely we´re going to see another preview with the new hero before they release it……so another 3 weeks till I get my hands on it.

#5 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

Very, very, very LAME "preview." 

#6 Robert McMutton

Robert McMutton

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

Yes, a very disappointing preview. At least they could have given us a single new card, even if it were an encounter card.

Well, another week of waiting to see something new, and as you said above, maybe we are looking to some delay.

#7 GeckoTH

GeckoTH

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

They claim that this deck was built for solo play…. but what good does Rivendell Bow do? (I guess there are a few specific quests that make use of ranged in a solo game, but those are few and far between)

#8 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

In all fairness, they never promised to have a preview of Shadow and Flame. It's titled "Decks in the Dwarrodelf."

#9 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Changed Aragorn to Loragorn and this helps with the high starting threat. 

@ Narsil0420:
Yeah, you´re probably right. Just really hoped they would preview something. Cause they previed cards in the other "Decks in Dwarrodelf" too.
And I wonder why there is so little news about the next packs.

#10 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

muemakan said:

Could you please elaborate how can this switch helps?  I know Loragorn can reset the threat level once in the game, but still the threat level is in the high level (32+)…

Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#11 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

I, for one, thought it was a decent article. Not ground-breaking, but it was alright. Only one thing really bothered me: he repeatedly used the word "stand" instead of the word "ready."

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#12 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

Budgernaut said:

I, for one, thought it was a decent article. Not ground-breaking, but it was alright. Only one thing really bothered me: he repeatedly used the word "stand" instead of the word "ready."

For me this was one of the things that bothered me also, official article should use official terminology.

I didn't want to go much into detail about this deck but I might have to a little bit. For one, if this should be full Bilbo-player-type-deck, then I would expect all cards be centered around the theme, that being Noldor and Dúnedain of the North. Then I don't understand cards like Snowbourn Scout, Horn of Gondor and Steward of Gondor.

As for the mechanics, there are indeed some interesting decisions. Like the sole copy of the Sword, practically the strongest Aragorn's combo. Then Horn of Gondor with the total number of 9 allies (Valiant Sacrifice also not being particularly strong option for the same reason); more so with the Steward and very cheap card pool. And as stated, for mostly a solo deck, the inclusion of Rivendell Bow is again rather odd.

I still see this as an alright supporting deck with the other player having Spirit-major deck.

#13 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:16 AM

Angus Lee said:

muemakan said:

Could you please elaborate how can this switch helps?  I know Loragorn can reset the threat level once in the game, but still the threat level is in the high level (32+)…

I play a Loragorn and the Ninja Twins deck now and so am pretty familiar with how to get the most of them.  I had forgotten that Aragorn used the name Estel and will change my deck name now though.  But to answer your question…

The twins are killing machines, especially against low HP enemies like the goblins in Khazad-Dum.  When playing solo the big problem is usually gaining control of the board at the beginning of the game when you have extra event cards in the staging area.  But when playing with Loragorn you don't care about threat.  This gives the advantage that you can clear the enemies early and let your threat add up.  (You still must avoid location lock in the long term though.)  Once you have control of the board, every time a location comes out you basically save your resource token for Elladan (tactics twin) so that he can do a double attack later.  I always put Steward on Elrohir (leadership twin), so resources for him are not a problem.

But… you still need to be able to quest in the long term.  For that I like the Sword and the Stone.  Those items give Aragorn Leadership and Spirit icons, of which the Spirit is more useful.  Get your Arwen out asap to help with the questing (she'll have 3 WP if you have the sword out) and to give Elrohir a +1 def.  Now you can play Elrond's Council (and Ghaladrim's Greeting), but I usually wait until I have a couple of those in hand AND control of the board.  Then I activate Aragorn's Lore ability and drop my threat all at once.  If you have any 'boss monsters' to face at the end of the game you can now Unseen Strike them, and with the right attachments you probably have Elladan attacking for 5 by now anyway.

So it's a two part answer:  you can afford to let your threat increase early, and then you can use his ability later combined with some other threat reduction cards to really put yourself in a strong position for the later stages of the quest.

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#14 Moses2813

Moses2813

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

muemakan said:

Mehhhh, no preview….. and we should look for the last pack at a retailer "in the next few weeks". We have FoS for a month now. 
 And likely we´re going to see another preview with the new hero before they release it……so another 3 weeks till I get my hands on it.

My guess is that Shadow will be released at GenCon or right before.  At this point I will be waiting to pick it up at GenCon. 

#15 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

Bullroarer Took, thanks for your explanation!

Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#16 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

there hasn't been a Game of Thrones article in two weeks (unless I've totally missed something, and I don't think I have -- not counting the GenCon tournaments), so I think all of this panic on the LOTR boards is kinda silly -- maybe they are all busy getting ready for the GenCon tournies? FFG is always posting that they are hiring, maybe they are short-staffed?

Either way, if one of their "flagship" games hasn't had an article in at least two weeks, I don't think we need to worry -- at least LOTR is getting some sort of new info each week, even if it is "just" a deck list.

PS: just looked it up 6/28 was the date of AGoT's last substantive update -- the other two are about reprints and GenCon.

#17 Robert McMutton

Robert McMutton

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

I know it's really easy for us to complain, and sometimes things are not as easier as they seem.

But I think that it's a good thing for FFG the anxious mood we have about newer packs for this great game. It should say them that they are doing a good job and that this LCG has future.

#18 hildargo

hildargo

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Instead of Aragorn, I replaced him with Hama. I also added Gandalf, Erestor, and Faramir and got rid of the Sword that was Broken, Snowbourn Scout, and Dawn Take You All. I still kept in Keeping Count. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I think that it could do some damage in a two player game. For the Tactics Noldor allies, I don't think you need a ton of cards in your hand to make them effective, you just need dead cards in your hand. And you are already getting readying ability from the Twins. It is certainly a theme deck, but if you make some adjustments, it can definitely handle it's own.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS