Jump to content



Photo

Contradictory Text


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KristoffStark

KristoffStark

    Member

  • Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

I've had the opportunity to play several games now (having been blessed being allowed to keep our store's demo copy), and I have come across the following:

In "The Cardinal's Plight," Encounter 2, during Special Rules it says "When a hero ends his turn adjacent to Cardinal Koth, he is rescued."

Later, in The Second Wave, it says "When a hero first open the door to the Library, read the following aloud: [story text].  The Cardinal is now rescued, and the overlord must try and stop him."

So I've got on block of text saying he's rescued as soon as the door opens, and other saying he is only rescued when a hero ends their turn adjacent to him (the setup of the room makes it somewhat unlikely that these happen in the same turn).

Not having caught this until in the midst of the Quest, I ruled with the earlier text, saying they had to be adjacent, but I'm not 100% convinced that was FFGs final intent.  I'm assuming that the condition was changed at some point, and they just missed editing the other reference.



#2 astrobyte

astrobyte

    Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

 I've run into the same dilemma here, what's the proper text?



#3 Zcurator

Zcurator

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

I don't think it's an error.

I think it means when you enter the room the players may move the cardinal at the end of their turn. Every turn afterwards the heroes must remain adjacent to him for him to be considered rescued.

Caught me off guard too. But the above makes sense when you think about it. 



#4 MasterBeastman

MasterBeastman

    Member

  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

I think it's an error based on the language. Cardinal Koth can't move until he's "rescued." In order to be "rescued" there are two contradictory rules, as stated above.

There is a second error in that quest as well. It says there are three open groups but there are only rules for two of the open groups. The wording makes it seem like they only intended for there to be two as it refers to the first open group, and then "the other open group," insinuating that there are two.



#5 Mrbob0069

Mrbob0069

    Member

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

We played it as to separate triggers. 

Opening the doors in the text, says it triggers the Overlords reactions (spawning the Ltnt and opening the activating the remaining monster in unsearched room) opening the doors does NOT let the heroes move the cardinal.

The second trigger is ending the turn next to the cardinal, thus allowing him to now activate and move at the end of the heroes turn.

It worked very well for us.  And it validated without contradicting both sets of text.

 



#6 skunkstrype

skunkstrype

    Member

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

That's how I saw it too.



#7 Terah

Terah

    Member

  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:33 AM

The scenario states two ways to rescue the cardinal. Its confusing because the methods are in different sections and one method is useless, but they do not "contradict" each other. Why not play it as written? When the door is opened the cardinal is rescued.



#8 WittyDroog

WittyDroog

    Member

  • Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

 One is written as game rules, the other is written as fluff ("read aloud" in that nice descriptive text.)

 

Basically when you open the library you're just adding some thematic flavor. I read it like how in movies a hero busts down the door and some tied up hostage yells out "Oh we're saved" despite still bring tied up.

 

Just give your players a chance to reply with a cliche one-liner when they enter the library like "We're not out of the woods yet!"



#9 KristoffStark

KristoffStark

    Member

  • Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

WittyDroog said:

 

 One is written as game rules, the other is written as fluff ("read aloud" in that nice descriptive text.)

 

 

My interpretation is that the fluff text is just the stuff I omitted in my original post, (replaced with [story text]).  The phrase "The Cardinal is now rescued" is outside of that area.

Where do you draw the line, then, for where the fluff text ends?



#10 KristoffStark

KristoffStark

    Member

  • Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Terah said:

The scenario states two ways to rescue the cardinal. Its confusing because the methods are in different sections and one method is useless, but they do not "contradict" each other. Why not play it as written? When the door is opened the cardinal is rescued.

Because the Special Rules section says otherwise.  So "play as written" is meaningless, as it is written two different way is two different places. That's sort of my whole point.

What makes you say that one method is "useless"?



#11 Terah

Terah

    Member

  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

KristoffStark said:

 

Terah said:

 

The scenario states two ways to rescue the cardinal. Its confusing because the methods are in different sections and one method is useless, but they do not "contradict" each other. Why not play it as written? When the door is opened the cardinal is rescued.

 

 

Because the Special Rules section says otherwise.  So "play as written" is meaningless, as it is written two different way is two different places. That's sort of my whole point.

 

The scenario as written gives 2 methods to trigger the rescue so you can "play as written" by allowing both triggers.

The "stand next to the Cardinal" method is useless because before you do that you must have already "opened the door to the Cardinal".

Clearly there is something wrong with this scenario. Including useless methods and hiding two methods in separate sections looks like a mistake must have been made. But instead of creating more or less elaborate "fixes" you can just "play as written" without anything breaking.



#12 WittyDroog

WittyDroog

    Member

  • Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

KristoffStark said:

WittyDroog said:

 

 One is written as game rules, the other is written as fluff ("read aloud" in that nice descriptive text.)

 

 

My interpretation is that the fluff text is just the stuff I omitted in my original post, (replaced with [story text]).  The phrase "The Cardinal is now rescued" is outside of that area.

Where do you draw the line, then, for where the fluff text ends?

 

Oh my mistake, I see what you're talking about. Rereading it I get your confusion. For some reason I thought that line was part of the descriptive text.

 

I'm going to have to agree with MrBob, opening the door reads the flavor text, ending adjacent to Koth counts him as rescued. I believe the intention of having a character end adjacent to him is to "cut his bindings" or whatever at which case the dramatic cue for Lord Farrow. I mean that's a loose interpretation but it seems the most cinematic and if I was a game designer that's how I would have intended it. Plus it sounds like that works just fine.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS