Music of the Guard?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jkilla41

Jkilla41

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'm not speaking of "game" music, I'm asking: What would Guardsmen walking through a camp hear?

We all know that music is a human universal. So, then what would the Guard have around I wonder?

-J

#2 HTMC

HTMC

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Usually music from their homeworld, in most cases. There are some hymns and marches that are close to being Imperium-wise, but much like WW1 and WW2 armies often listened to music from their home nation, 40k IG regiments operate the same way but with homeworlds.

#3 Grubisha

Grubisha

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

Tanith - Scotland folk music

Vostroyan - Russian folk music

Krieg - WW1 German marches

Vallhallan - WW2 Red Army marches

Armageddon & Mordian - WW2 German marches

Cadia & Elysia - WW2 US army marches

Maccabeus Quintus - Gregorian choral music

Harakoni Warhawks - Aliens or Band of Brothers soundtrack

Thats what I would use as background in my sessions…

#4 David B

David B

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:02 AM

Yes, basically like the other posters have said.

I would find the nearest historical model you can to the regiment/planet you are depicting and run with that (i.e. Red Army Choir for Valhallans, etc).

Well, that is what I would do.

When we did a Dark Heresy campaign set in a warzone with some very Red Army-like Imperial guard we cracked out the Red Army Choir on Youtube (you can even find Michael Palin, of Monty Python fame, in the late 80s singing with them somewhere) and it got everyone in the mood, but then they bonded with all the faceless goons, and got very uppity/sad with the officers when loads of them got shot (either by the Eldar or by the commissars)… which may be a desired effect (nothing wrong with moral questions)

Anyway, a good old sing-song is always jolly.

All best,

David.

#5 Grubisha

Grubisha

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:54 AM

Catachan - Rambo soundtrack, The Doors, Ramones… Vietnam War era hits… :)

#6 Andor

Andor

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:18 AM

There's also other military sf stuff to 'borrow' from.

There's a lot of filk based on the Dorsai books for example and some of it ports easily into guard songs. "Green hills of Harmony",  "Jaques Cretian" or "Soldier Ask not" for example.

#7 Grubisha

Grubisha

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:54 AM

Also I recommend songs of David Kincaid (American Civil War music mostly Confederate songs) and John Tams (Sharpe TV series) as a good inspirational music. As an overall music for bacground I suggest James Horner (Aliens sountrack), Hans Zimmer (Gladiator soundtrack), Adam Harvey (Ultramarines soundtrack), Dead Can Dance (Lisa Gerrard) and works of Keiki Kobayashi (Sony Playstation music composer, most notable song Unsung War from Ace Combat 5).

#8 skatingtortoise

skatingtortoise

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

i imagine them listening to 1940's music hall which has been put through a techno-machine. techno greta garbo. 

#9 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

"O'er the hills and o'er the main, through Tanith, Verghast, and Jago - The Emperor commands, and we obey, o'er the hills and far away."

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#10 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Well what about music by Barry Sadler, I have heard a number of versions of Ballad of the Green Berets, for a # of different units.  Plus a # of his songs can fit in anywhere.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#11 MorioMortis

MorioMortis

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

Mordians and Praetorians (and other regiments of Line Infantry) need a "Men of Harlech" (replace with homeworld/warzone to taste), or some other Napoleonic/Victorian British military march (pretty much any military march from the period should fit).

The stupid must be bashed upon the head with the Mallet of Wisdom until their heads are inflated with knowledge.

Words to live (and die) by : "I have officially Been out-rogue tradered!  As always, one must always assume that no matter how grand your plan is, it's never enough!" - RogalDorn1

#12 Apothecary Gordian

Apothecary Gordian

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:53 AM

I think that Guardsmen and Space Marines both listen to Bolt Thrower.

#13 Frankie

Frankie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

It'd obviously vary by regiment.

I think martial industrial would actually be a valid music choice for some regiments.

#14 Morkalg

Morkalg

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

Apothecary Gordian said:

Ha! That made me chuckle. Now I've got to listen to some Bolt Thrower and get my fix…

Just an aside, I've been listening to "The Hunt for Red October" soundtrack and think that the main hymn would be awesome for an IG regimental song. The translated Russian lyrics are actually kinda cool too. 

Game Designer and Lead Writer

www.7sensesgaming.com

#15 Brother Praetus

Brother Praetus

• Members
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Apothecary Gordian said:

Maybe some Manowar as well.

-=Brother Praetus=-

"Truth is so rare it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."

- Fortune Cookie

#16 Bron

Bron

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:01 AM

Well I think there would be a big difference between what was sanctioned for them to play/sing/listen to, I think that like real wars they would use tunes they know (often hymns and so on) and add new words, I'll give you some classic examples from WW1 which would work I think:

-They were only playing leap frog () a song all about the incompitance of the general staff

-The old battalion () showing a certain amount of fatalism

-If the sargent steals your rum never mind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YuZ6R8BYIg&feature=BFa&list=UUnR7Y5S4DnFVqzkNB7o69ww) another fatalistic one but also bemoning the army's stingyness and corruption

-The bells of hell go ting-a-ling-a-ling (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-UHaCZSBeM&feature=BFa&list=UUnR7Y5S4DnFVqzkNB7o69ww) your dead (going to die) but I'm not…. honest I'm not…..

-I want to go home (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX-nRlVw5Io&feature=BFa&list=UUnR7Y5S4DnFVqzkNB7o69ww) I wish I was back home (probably one of the most likerly to get you shot thinking about it…..)

-When this lousy war is over (though I remember my family singing it as "when this bloody war is over" or worse… (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wfIhl5mn5s&feature=BFa&list=UUnR7Y5S4DnFVqzkNB7o69ww)) possibly guardsmen looking forward to the far off and unlikerly day they will be allowed to colonise their own world.

-Ragtime infantry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8XpsP8NrCk&feature=BFa&list=UUnR7Y5S4DnFVqzkNB7o69ww) a new one on me but seems suitable for units to be self depreciating with possibly

-Forward Joe Soap's Army (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxaBeqf-QGo&feature=BFa&list=UUnR7Y5S4DnFVqzkNB7o69ww) possibly to the tune of onward imperial soldiers?

-Bombed last night (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUHh5uAcaBw&feature=BFa&list=UUnR7Y5S4DnFVqzkNB7o69ww) basically soldiers bemoning their lot as they often do

-Oh It's a Loverly War (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o5J4IFZXVo&feature=BFa&list=UUnR7Y5S4DnFVqzkNB7o69ww) not an actual war song to my knowledge but it seems to fit what the average soldier probably thinks of the general staff and if the enlisted are singing it then it will be dripping with sarcasm

-We're 'Ere because We're 'Ere (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ps85649fWk&feature=BFa&list=UUnR7Y5S4DnFVqzkNB7o69ww) just seems fitting

I've used the What a Loverly War versions as they are excelent (good film as well).

#17 Dulahan

Dulahan

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

skatingtortoise said:

i imagine them listening to 1940's music hall which has been put through a techno-machine. techno greta garbo. 

If that's a style of music you'd like to hear in reality, there's a great group called Caravan Palace…

and a broader genre known as "Electro Swing"

#18 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:04 AM

I recently found this just change country for Emperor and soldier for guardsman and you have a nice IG marching song www.youtube.com/watch 

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS