Strange High House

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 satanito

satanito

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Ok, one question. So, you cant  go directly to the Strange High House on the way up, but…

The same rule that you can only move to one location per turn aplies on the way down?

After all, is going down, must be faster… any clarification on this?

Thanks!!!

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Each of the three white location is "on the Kingsport head" so entering the space from either direction means you stop.

Additionally, while you can't drive directly to the top with the patrol wagon (you must climb as normal), you can drive FROM the top to any space.

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Tibs,

You're typically a very rationale being…but, Huh?  Can you walk me (us) through that one exactly… 

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#4 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Just doing this off of memory. You have to stop at each space that's on the Kingsport Head. I seem to recall that someone said that coming down on the patrol wagon doesn't require you to make each stop.

I thought this was ColtsFan but now I'm not sure.

#5 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

I agree that certain locations are off-limits to the Patrol Car, most notably on the Innsmouth map, but I can't really agree with the notion that you have to stop on the way to the to the Strange High House, but not on the way down.  Of course, I would have no issue with the Patrol Wagon ignoring the effects of any of the intermediary steps, since obtaining the Patrol Wagon does require a bit of work and would take the Investigators from their primary mission.  Now, as to crossing water…I can completely understand that ruling. 

The Professor

#6 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

The point was (IIRC) that the Patrol Wagon allows you to reach a certain location as if you were teleporting there. So, while climbing up the Kingsport had you're forced to stop at every place, while driving down simply allows you to choose some place else on the board and drive directly. Not so sure it has sense (in fact, it's senseless for me, as some other things that were ruled through the years), but this should have been the rationale behind the Patrol Wagon

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, I find it a bit senseless as well, my friend…for my games, the Patrol Wagon can go anywhere there are roads…so the location on the Innsmouth map is still unapproachable by the PW

The Professor

#8 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

We play that way too. Offshore is off-limits to the wagon.

#9 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Tibs said:

We play that way too. Offshore is off-limits to the wagon.

Same here.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#10 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

Beyond just balance, the thematic idea (I would presume) is both that the Kingsport Head is very difficult to traverse and that the magic which imbues the House stops any sort of teleportation magic from working nearby.  For the Patrol Wagon, the first would apply; thus, while it can drive downhill quickly enough, it cannot drive uphill, since the incline is so steep.  Granted, driving up a steep incline would probably be easier than driving across water….

#11 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

I too wish you could travel back down the Head quickly. Maybe the mountain climbing rule applies- "it's easier to go up than it is to come down"…

The Patrol Wagon still has to move through the locations, which means it can't just 'warp' to/from the Strange High House. But if you have the White Ship, you can zap yourself to an Other World instantly. Plus I think there's a Spell which allows someone to transport a player to an Other World. So you have to plan ahead when you go for the 'Changed' card- could this be a little of that 'strategy' stuff that's supposedly absent from Arkham Horror?

#12 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:54 AM

Well, the ratioanle I use is based on the fact that there are several Mythos Cards which either retard one's movement (Zombies or some such undead manifestations walking through the streets and may only be passed on a successful Fight or Sneak check) or completely eliminate the space as a viable pass-through (Merchant District during the 4th of July Parade comes to mind).  Neither of these incidents keep the Patrol Wagon from any location on the board nor does it require a successful check.    To that end, barring aquatic locations, our Patrol Wagon may ignore the deleterious effects of the Street Locations on the way to the Strange High House.

The Professor

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS