• 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

Title says it all.

#2 Plueshpanda

Plueshpanda

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

Looks good, but I would suggest matt varnish… your minis look a little bit glossy. But thats only my opinion ^^

#3 CaGeRit

CaGeRit

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Technically that is a matt varnish. Humbrol enamel brush on varnish, great stuff practically indestructible. Just not as matt as the name suggests, I'd get a simple spray varnish but there is no where I can spray where I live so everything is brush on. Are there any brush on matt finishes suitable for miniatures which are actually matt? I don't care about how protective it is as the humbrol goo will weather anything up to fine grade sandpaper.

#4 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

CaGeRit said:

Technically that is a matt varnish. Humbrol enamel brush on varnish, great stuff practically indestructible. Just not as matt as the name suggests, I'd get a simple spray varnish but there is no where I can spray where I live so everything is brush on. Are there any brush on matt finishes suitable for miniatures which are actually matt? I don't care about how protective it is as the humbrol goo will weather anything up to fine grade sandpaper.

Liquitex Matt Varnish is what you want.  Art stores and craft/hobby stores should sell it.  I actually use that same Humbral brush on varnish as my main protective coat, then go over it with the Liquitex Matt Varnish.  Just be sure to put on a thin coat (if it goes on white instead of clear, you're not putting it on thin enough.)

It's not quite as matte as Dullcote and the like, but it's pretty close, and unlike those matte sprays, doesn't dull down the colours or grey out the metallics very much.  I used to use the spray-ons (Dullcote, Army Painter anti-shine, or GW Purity Seal) but have now totally switched to brushing on the Liquitex Matt Varnish.  Brushing on also means you can leave some parts glossy if you want.

#5 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

Try a little Dullcoat from Testors or hobby masters. This will get you a great finish. I use either over 2 coats of gloss varnish from Valspar. The minis look great. Cant say I liked the candles in the back ground, hahaha….just kidding.

#6 RobT

RobT

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'd certainly like to see these after a good coat of dullcote, too. Why did you bother putting them on different bases, rather than just putting your basing material on the base that came with them?

Otherwise, this is a really nice start!

#7 CaGeRit

CaGeRit

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

I still haven't found an excuse to swing by michael's to pick up some liquitex. It's too far out of the way that I don't want to waste the gas for a single item. As for the rebasing, I've always been a fan of the resin retextured bases, partly because I'm lazy, partly because I don't think I can get a similar result without adding a couple of hours per model in doing the basing. Also I like the smaller bases (especially on the walkers), as they are more manageable with placing minis in terrain/alley ways ect.

Almost done Babushka, will probably make a new thread for her though.

#8 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:49 AM

CaGeRit said:

Also I like the smaller bases (especially on the walkers), as they are more manageable with placing minis in terrain/alley ways ect.

This is considered cheating. Aside from the movement rules which you reference, line of sight for cover purposes utilize vehicle bases. If I were your opponent, I would not allow you to play with rebased Walkers unless it were the same size base. 

#9 CaGeRit

CaGeRit

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

Whenever our group plays there is always overlapping of bases to get into cover or a slight adjusting of terrain mid game if a unit can't squeeze through something that would ordinarily allow for human passage. IMHO the DW bases are uncomfortably large. Besides, I almost exclusively play casual games and unfortunately very rarely due to my work schedule. If some one wants to complain about my bases on the one or two days out of a month that I can get a game in I'll play some one else.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS