• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

Hey guys,

I am confused how to use a blunderbuss. I understand that a blunderbuss hits an engagement (blast quality), and it cannot be parried or blocked, only dodged (which add soak 1, not a defense dices). 

1) Does one need to do a ballistic skill test to fire a blunderbuss in 3rd edition? I ask because it wasn't needed in 2nd ed. I am assuming yes, since otherwise the Unreliable 2 would never be activated.

2) What if the NPCs in the engagement have any defense dices? Does it count? What if all of them have different number of defense dices? I have ruled that defense dices cannot be used against a blunderbuss.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers
Ceodryn

#2 Matchstickman

Matchstickman

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:23 AM

1. You still need to chose an action card to use the blunderbuss, the skill used is listed on the action card you use. It will usually be the Ballistics skill but you don't need to have that skill to fire, you can just rely on your agility and fortune dice.

2. Defence still adds misfortune dice to the roll (it does represent passive protection after all), it's just the parry and block action cards that cannot be used against the blast effect. I can find no official rule on which value to use but I would apply the highest defence in the engagement.

I have a question on the blast effect myself, it reads

"Blast attacks cannot be parried or blocked, but targets may choose to dodge. Rather than the normal dodge effect, each die an individual defender would normally contribute to the pool for dodging increases his soak value by 1 against the blast attack."

Would you take that to mean that Dodge with co-ordination trained is better than Improved Dodge? Improved dodge would add only 1 challenge die whereas dodge would add 2 misfortune dice.

#3 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hey Matchstickman,

Thanks for your answer! 

After thinking more about it, I really like the idea to NOT have any defense dices added against a Blunderbuss attack. After all, if a Blunderbuss attack cannot be Blocked, why could an armor add defense against it? In my opinion, defense dices in WFRP3 symbolizes the concept of "difficult to hit" (vs. damage reduction), which is why a Robe has a defense of 1 since it's difficult to see where you hit, same idea for all metal armors. However, the Blunderbuss being a Blast attack, it will makes its way into joints of the armor and the Blast itself is dangerous (like an explosion). 

In regards to your assessment of Blast, I agree with you as it is written… but it wouldn't make any sense. I guess I would equal a challenge die to four black dices, and therefore Improve Dodge would provide +4 soak. Again, it's an house rule.

Cheers

Ceodryn

#4 Fenderstat

Fenderstat

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

The blunderbluss rules are confusing, I like the old point and roll damage option myself.  Armour would protect in some degree in reality as shrapnel has a much harder time cutting up steel than it does human flesh but mechanics wise, I think we'll do what you suggest Ceodryn for our next game.

WFRP3 Online game forum - http://ffgvirtualrpg.prediger.at/

#5 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

Fenderstat said:

Armour would protect in some degree in reality as shrapnel has a much harder time cutting up steel than it does human flesh but mechanics wise

Yes I agree on that, which is the soak value of armor, not the defense value otherwise, a Robe or the heavy fold of flapping flesh of a Slayer beer gut wouldn't have a defense of 1. 

So, a full plated average man, TO 3 + Soak 5 + Dodge Soak 1 vs. Blunderbuss AG 3 + DR 5 only gets 1 wound from the shock wave or shrapnels in the joints. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS