Die roll rules clarification

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jethric1

jethric1

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

I have been playing Elder Sign for a while, and find it too easy, losing only if the world is truly against me. For the most part, I think this because it seems quite hard to actually generate doom tokens, especially the 10-12 it takes to unlock most elder gods. But I also have found that adventure cards get completed more often than not (ordered cards and locked dice not-withstanding).

But since responses to "It's too easy" are usually met with "no it's not", I'd like to verify that I'm handling things correctly adventure cards correctly.

Below is a hypothetical adventure completion case with held dice, lost dice and clues. Tell me if I'm interpreting the re-roll rules correctly.

Let's say I have the following non-ordered card, which takes a minimum of 6 dice to complete.

• 3Adv, Skull
  • Skull, Skull, Terror
  • (Scroll or Terror) monster

Roll #1 (6Green): 3Adv, 3Adv, 1Adv, 2Adv, Scroll, Scroll

Response: Put the scroll on the monster task. (Monster will now go away, whether I complete the card or not)

Roll #2 (5 Green): 3Adv, 3Adv, 1Adv, 2Adv, Scroll

Response: Put 3Adv on my character, Lose a die.

Roll #3 (3 Green): 3Adv, 3Adv, Skull, [+held 3Adv]

Response: Put 3Adv (from character) and Skull on 1st task to complete it; Use tommy gun card, for Red/Yellow die.

Roll #4 (2 Green, 1 Red, 1 yellow): Skull, Skull, Scroll, Scroll

Response: Use clue. Hold 2 Skulls, Re-roll 2 dice

Roll #5 ("2" Green, 1 Red, 1 yellow): [Skull, Skull], Scroll, Scroll

Response: Put Skull on character lose 1 die.

Roll #6 (1 Red, 1 yellow): Skull, Terror, [+held Skull]

Response: Use Skull(from character) and Skull, Terror from dice. Finish Task. Finish Adventure Card.

Correct? Close? Let me know.

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

Looked correct all the way through. Except for the ridiculously lucky roll at the very end .

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 xfoley8

xfoley8

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

Not quite (at least the way I play it).  I'm not sure off the top of my head if it's clearly stated in the rules, but I play that you can only focus once per turn.  That would make your save of the skull after roll #5 illegal (unless you use a spell), since you focused after roll #2.  This is the same as Elder Sign: Omens btw- you only get one focus per character per turn.

I would agree that the boardgame version still seems too easy, though- I win about 80-85% of the time, with probably about 75% of those wins without the AO waking up.  I hope they put out an expansion that reprints some of the more erroneous character sheets, and toughens up the adventures, particularly the Other Worlds.  Someone else, either on this board or another I looked at, pointed out that the Other Worlds in Omens sometimes remove a doom token as a reward, rather than adding one.  I'd like to see that change implemented, but also have doom added if you fail the OW adventures.  This would make the OW's more effective and exciting, both in succeeding and failing.  Heck, if Rlyeh is going to give you 3 elder signs for succeeding, it ought to penalize you 2 or 3 doom for failing. 

jethric1 said:

I have been playing Elder Sign for a while, and find it too easy, losing only if the world is truly against me. For the most part, I think this because it seems quite hard to actually generate doom tokens, especially the 10-12 it takes to unlock most elder gods. But I also have found that adventure cards get completed more often than not (ordered cards and locked dice not-withstanding).

But since responses to "It's too easy" are usually met with "no it's not", I'd like to verify that I'm handling things correctly adventure cards correctly.

Below is a hypothetical adventure completion case with held dice, lost dice and clues. Tell me if I'm interpreting the re-roll rules correctly.

Let's say I have the following non-ordered card, which takes a minimum of 6 dice to complete.

• 3Adv, Skull
  • Skull, Skull, Terror
  • (Scroll or Terror) monster

Roll #1 (6Green): 3Adv, 3Adv, 1Adv, 2Adv, Scroll, Scroll

Response: Put the scroll on the monster task. (Monster will now go away, whether I complete the card or not)

Roll #2 (5 Green): 3Adv, 3Adv, 1Adv, 2Adv, Scroll

Response: Put 3Adv on my character, Lose a die.

Roll #3 (3 Green): 3Adv, 3Adv, Skull, [+held 3Adv]

Response: Put 3Adv (from character) and Skull on 1st task to complete it; Use tommy gun card, for Red/Yellow die.

Roll #4 (2 Green, 1 Red, 1 yellow): Skull, Skull, Scroll, Scroll

Response: Use clue. Hold 2 Skulls, Re-roll 2 dice

Roll #5 ("2" Green, 1 Red, 1 yellow): [Skull, Skull], Scroll, Scroll

Response: Put Skull on character lose 1 die.

Roll #6 (1 Red, 1 yellow): Skull, Terror, [+held Skull]

Response: Use Skull(from character) and Skull, Terror from dice. Finish Task. Finish Adventure Card.

Correct? Close? Let me know.

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Had to look this up. It isn't in the rulebook, this is another FAQ change to the RAW, but focus is indeed once per turn.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS