Storage Ideas

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GGprieto

GGprieto

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

Hey guys, i recently got AH last week and played it a few times on my own and i loved it more than i couldve expected. I sleeved all of the cards in the base game and i could hardly even store it in the core box set anymore :'( .. 

I know i will be getting the expansions as time goes by and what im looking for is a storage solution idea that will have room for all of them to be stored and played out of the box right away. I want to create a wooden box and i found a few plans that i liked but only one of them was made recently and has room for every expansion to date .. my only issue is that i have no clue if sleeved cards require even more space than say the non sleeved cards (dumb thought i know because i can see it with my own eyes)

My only ordeal is that i dont know how much space in my storage box i need to make to accommodate  all of the cards in the expansion sleeved. Im not looking for tuckboxes because imo they just dont look nice, might be practical but just not for me. 

Here are the plans i found and will probably go with: Venshads Plans 

with these plans im not sure if hes laying the cards down flat or laying them sideways business card style. by the looks of it i know it can hold all the cards out currently through all the expansions and i can probably build a box to store each of the boxes in those plans and be able to travel with it. 

what do you guys think or what would you suggest? im looking for some ideas because i do not own all the expansions nor have them all sleeved so i dont know what to expect when it comes to card realstate needed to store this beast of a series 

#2 Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

I can store everything* in the original boxes (minus the small box inserts) even with all cards sleeved. I have all the expansion boxes, which give you a bit more room that just the core box.

*However the additional investigators, monster miniatures, custom dice & bags etc won't go in these.

I'm not sure a single storage solution for everything would be practical, unless it was some huge wooden box that you never had to move.

I have War of the Ring Collectors Edition in a huge painted box, and while it looks nice - a couple of smaller ligher boxes would actually make it easier to transport around the house.

#3 DriedMoss

DriedMoss

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

I managed to store all the entire Arkham Horror materials (including all expansions) with cards sleeved in a Plano 732. The game boards do not fit, however, by less than an 18th of an inch. Yet I prefer to keep the boards and books in a nice pouch that sits atop the Plano container.

The Plano 732 works very well for setting up Arkham Horror and containing all the tokens during play. I am still discovering new, more functional organization layouts with the 732 each time I play Arkham Horror. I need only pull out the applicable internal containers I need to play, depending on what expansion is desired.

Let us know what you come up with.

#4 DriedMoss

DriedMoss

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

You can also go with this idea

#5 seanwcouch

seanwcouch

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

I was curious to know if it was height or width that the boards didn't fit.  Would it at all be plausible to mod the case so they do fit.  

#6 Richard U. Pickman

Richard U. Pickman

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

I got tired of the long setup so i have built a cabinet for the game, all miniatures and pre-sorted cards. It towers 1,5 meters high. But the game setup takes about 15 minutes which is really nice! The only problem is that i really don't have any place to put it…

#7 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

Richard U. Pickman said:

I got tired of the long setup so i have built a cabinet for the game, all miniatures and pre-sorted cards. It towers 1,5 meters high. But the game setup takes about 15 minutes which is really nice! The only problem is that i really don't have any place to put it…

So, technically, now you need a storage solution for your storage solution…

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#8 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Julia said:

Richard U. Pickman said:

Yo dawg. I heard you like storage solutions…

Yo dawg. I heard you like storage solutions…

#9 seanwcouch

seanwcouch

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

DriedMoss said:

I managed to store all the entire Arkham Horror materials (including all expansions) with cards sleeved in a Plano 732. The game boards do not fit, however, by less than an 18th of an inch. Yet I prefer to keep the boards and books in a nice pouch that sits atop the Plano container.

The Plano 732 works very well for setting up Arkham Horror and containing all the tokens during play. I am still discovering new, more functional organization layouts with the 732 each time I play Arkham Horror. I need only pull out the applicable internal containers I need to play, depending on what expansion is desired.

Let us know what you come up with.

I just got the Plano 732 and wanted to know how you are fitting everything in it.  I am at a loss as to how you are fitting everything in but the boards.  If you could take some pics I would appreciate it.  Figured I could mimic your setup or get some ideas.  I have everything in it but 3 of the big expansions but it does look nice so far.  

I have some space left but I dont think I have enought to fit what I have left.

Thanks

Sean

#10 parkrrrr

parkrrrr

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

I've seen it mentioned on BGG, but not in this thread: Hobby Lobby sells a fairly sturdy wooden "artist box" that just fits the base game and all 8 expansions if you're careful. See http://boardgamegeek...467518/parkrrrr for a not-very-good picture of my own implementation.

After this picture was taken, I replaced the wooden crossbar that holds the boards in the top with an aluminum one that's much thinner. Eventually, I'll replace it with steel as aluminum isn't terribly thematic. I also made a custom monster bag, visible in the picture linked below, that holds the dice and fits beside the board in the lid of the case.

The AO sheets are beneath the right-hand stack of Investigator sheets in this picture; I've since discovered that I can fit three stacks horizontally so they don't need to be mixed together anymore. I eventually intend to put all of those and the herald/guardian/institution/limit sheets into appropriately-sized envelopes so they're both better-organized and somewhat more thematic.

You can see some of the custom card boxes I made to the right of the Investigator sheets. The boxes are cut from chipboard, folded, and taped with bookbinding tape. With one exception, each box has a custom-made label that identifies the contents (usually somewhat obliquely.)

Most of the visible labels should be self-explanatory. The large "miscellaneous grab bag" box contains individually banded decks that were too small to merit their own individual boxes - Allies, Injuries, Dust, Blessings of Nodens, that sort of thing. The box labeled "Tickets" contains all of the cards of which there are 8 each - Retainers, Rail Passes, Sheldon Gang Memberships, and so on.

Beneath the Investigator sheets (not visible in this picture) are four boxes of Arkham Encounter cards, one for each expansion and the base game. Within each of those boxes, each neighborhood deck fits in a custom-made slipcase designed to allow easy removal and replacement of the entire deck. You can see those boxes opened and in use in the rear right corner of this image: http://boardgamegeek...466937/parkrrrr. The slipcase for Rivertown can be seen just behind the monster bag on the right side of the table. There's also a box of other-world encounters, a box of Mythos cards, and another "miscellaneous grab bag" box, again containing individually-banded decks that are too small to merit their own boxes.

Finally, the back of the box, beneath the heralds and so on, contains four more cardboard boxes. One box holds four rows of vertical monster tokens (one row of which consists of spawn monsters and Mask monsters, along with a cardboard spacer to keep them upright.) Another box holds four stacks of Investigator tokens (it should be six stacks; I need to remake the paper insert for this box.) A third box contains the gate tokens. And the final box, the largest of all, contains small plastic boxes that hold the various small tokens. (You can see these in the second image, too, spread out all over the table.This makes it really easy for one player to, for example, set up the board while another counts out the tokens for the investigators.) The Dunwich Horror lives in one of these boxes, too, along with his markers (when we play, those don't come out very often) and the orange "doom die" we use to roll on rumor cards and green-bordered monsters and whatnot. (One of our number professes to believe in "training" dice to roll correctly, so this die always sits on the usually-safe '3' when it's not being rolled.)

If anyone wants to make their own version, I have a spreadsheet that lists the sizes of all of the cardboard boxes, as well as Inkscape drawings for the neighborhood slipcases (I didn't save pages for the individual neighborhoods; all I have is the outline of two sizes of generic slipcase - one that holds 39 cards for Arkham neighborhoods and one that holds 34 for expansion neighborhoods. Yes, they really are different sizes, and it really does matter.)

#11 Richard U. Pickman

Richard U. Pickman

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

Julia said:

Richard U. Pickman said:

Hahaha! Too true…

#12 seanwcouch

seanwcouch

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

Well I was able to get everything minus the boards in a Plano 732 and it is fairly neat.  It took some creative thinking but got it working and had to buy another tray but it fit under the top lid which helped a ton.  

I did find that there is a Plano 787 which would work and an extra tray for under the top lid would be ideal and using the webbing on the back to hold the boards would help with travel.

I have a buddy building me case to hold everything so I think I will use the 732 for Last Night on Earth but thought I would share.

#13 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Here's an idea that I found on Ebay recently.  There really are a lot of options out there for you too choose from.  It seems like everyone has their own special method and most of them look great.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item35c2dcc7d8

#14 seanwcouch

seanwcouch

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

Full Doom Track said:

Here's an idea that I found on Ebay recently.  There really are a lot of options out there for you too choose from.  It seems like everyone has their own special method and most of them look great.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item35c2dcc7d8

Yeah this is the exact same case my buddy is building for me

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS